• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Residential Mental Health Respite?

A

AuroraBlues

Anyone used this kind of place before? it has been suggested to me

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Hi there,

I've never used respite care before though it was recommended for me and had things not moved on for me I would have gladly gone for it. It seems to offer a good sort of half way house before hospitalisation where support is available and you can maybe switch off from things for a few days. The respite that was offerred to me was an open house so there were no controls on you coming and going. The down side of this is that you still have to maintain a level of responsibility for yourself while on a secure ward the staff take on the majority of that responsibility (something that I often need / crave).

Hope this helps at least a little bit.

iffybob

iffybob

Hi

I was in MH crisis care a few mounths back, it was a 2 bed unit, 1 week stay max, 2 staff on at all times, it was just sort of observation, make sure you eat and are safe.......... that was there.

My point being , ask for details of 'exactly' what they are offering, as I understand it varies on a unit by unit basis.....

My experience was a good one, staff trained to deal with MH.... I have 'heard' others talk of differnt things under the same name.

hope this helps ....... boB

A

AuroraBlues

Thank you, i know more about it now then i got from the on-call psych :)

Gail

Gail

possible trigger mentions sh

i go to this up to 4 times a year they take care of my meds apart from that im free to come and go as i like Theres always at least 2 staff on duty 24 hours a day in fact my place is so understanding the let me take my sh kit and if i wanna u7se it i have to just go and ask for it sorry if this offends some people

A

AuroraBlues

Gail, would you say your stay at one of these places was useful in times of crisis?

Gail

Gail

yes it is the staff are wonderful they have all the time in the world to listen to yours fears be it during the day or middle of the night. Its a very understanding place and has saved me from being sectioned or worse in the past.

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Sounds pretty good to me.