Researchers Disprove Link Between Genetics and Depression

Kerome

Kerome

Interesting that there isn't even a genetic predisposition. It seems then to be purely a case of how well supported we are, and how well we react to the negative events that life throws at us.

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Interesting that there isn't even a genetic predisposition. It seems then to be purely a case of how well supported we are, and how well we react to the negative events that life throws at us.
We've long now known that there aren't any 'simple' primary biological / genetic / brain chemical reasons / explanations / causes for any mental health experiences / condition - especially within areas of brain plasticity & epigenetics. The serious research has long moved away from such areas of 'simple' biological / chemical explanations - But that line still seems to be being sold to the general public, & the focus still being made on 'blaming the brain', But i suppose that still serves a lot of the current social / political / economic agendas & forces.

It's very well & long established that biology can't be separated from psychology / emotions & social / relational / environmental areas, although different weightings are argued. Our general understandings & treatment of all areas of mental health should fully reflect that fact (imo). It shouldn't ever any longer be a matter of debate, i think it's stupid that it was in the first place personally.

Last edited:
F

firemonkee57

Then there's evidence to the contrary. The debate rages on.

S

SJLPHII

Unfortunately the article is a bologna, because at the current state, we don't even have standard genetic test to confirm mental health issues.

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Unfortunately the article is a bologna, because at the current state, we don't even have standard genetic test to confirm mental health issues.
So how can & why have we had decades of 'everyone' saying that 'everything' is genetic? & why has Firemonkee said above that 'there's evidence to the contrary'?

S

SJLPHII

I do believe that there is no definite proof that it is genetics, but there is not yet a proof of evidence of contrary.

Evidence of it being genetics is entirely based on statistics. Similar to statistical "proof" that smoking leads to lung cancer and lung diseases.

Although it is general consensus that the smoking causes lung disease, there is no scientific proof that it does. Similarly to genetic inheritance of mental illnesses. While there exist no scientific proof, statistics say otherwise.

Mayfair

Mayfair

I read it and consider it a load of crap. (IMO)

It's not asking the right questions for a start, and it tails off throughout because of this point.

Last edited:
cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I read it and consider it a load of crap. (IMO)

It's not asking the right questions for a start, and it tails off throughout because of this point.
Despite Zero Evidence to begin with, & then a new study, published in the journal Molecular Psychiatry, found no link between genetics and the occurrence of depressive symptoms, & it's a load of crap? lol. That's some pretty hard core Belief, But then Biomedical Psychiatry is a Fundamentalist Religion (imo).

Mayfair

Mayfair

Despite Zero Evidence to begin with, & then a new study, published in the journal Molecular Psychiatry, found no link between genetics and the occurrence of depressive symptoms, & it's a load of crap? lol. That's some pretty hard core Belief, But then Biomedical Psychiatry is a Fundamentalist Religion (imo).
I think that just because they can't find a strand of DNA to match enough people to statistically prove anything just proves to me that they aren't looking at the right things. That's why the whole thing is nonsense to me.

My beliefs are completely different to the biomedical model. (in VERY short terms) My hypothesis for argument is that* all MI is linked to how we evolved over thousands of generations (up to about 200,000 years). Each and every illness is a by-product of how our ancestors lived, a by-product which doesn't fit into any kind of society that exists today in the western world (and much of non-1st world). And that almost all MI had a use for our ancestors, but not necessarily in the form we see today.

I can't prove this of course, but I have tried to put forward a good argument for it, in my writings (much of it available in here). This means (since we all are cousins, though often distant) that anyone in theory is susceptible to MI. Society today (IMO) means that the chances of having MI is far greater and increasing in chance with how quick society is changing, in particular in the last 200 years.

Have to cut this short as I have to return a mower now, and it didn't fit in my car last time, so I'm going to have to carry it. Speak later cpu :) I'm happy to discuss this :)

(*apart from certain eating disorders - that I haven't studied or looked into),

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I think that just because they can't find a strand of DNA to match enough people to statistically prove anything just proves to me that they aren't looking at the right things. That's why the whole thing is nonsense to me.
imo everything is largely all nonsense. We don't understand anything beyond even the very basics of genetics / human physiology / the brain.

My beliefs are completely different to the biomedical model. (in VERY short terms) My hypothesis for argument is that* all MI is linked to how we evolved over thousands of generations (up to about 200,000 years). Each and every illness is a by-product of how our ancestors lived, a by-product which doesn't fit into any kind of society that exists today in the western world (and much of non-1st world). And that almost all MI had a use for our ancestors, but not necessarily in the form we see today.
Of course - One of my own particular areas of interest is the very strong correlation between shamanism & schizophrenia.

Have also read a lot of articles / studies that outline 'your' idea.

I'm happy to discuss this :)
The main point that i can't get away from is that biology / psychology / sociology / spirituality - is all interrelated, interdependent & interconnected. & so any polemical argument for any one position over another is missing the whole picture.

Last edited:
cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
My reading of the current research, especially within epigenetic & brain plasticity areas, is that environment can't be fundamentally separated from biology.

Something that can be considered to be purely genetic is incredibly rare. All the fucking nonsense & god knows how many billions spent on this dream that scientists would map everything from the human genome was complete & utter bullshit & many serious people pointed out it was all a bullshit exercise to begin with. That degree of stupidity annoys me - that is billions of wasted pounds & vast resources / time that could have spent on actually helping people.

The current understanding on epigenetics & brain plasticity alone should have profound implications for the entire field of psychiatry / mental health treatment. Let alone anything else. But does it fuck, 'they're' still obsessed with finding biomarkers & a primary genetic / physiological basis to mental health disorders. It's all largely bullshit, they can't just admit that they have been fundamentally wrong for 400 years.

Last edited:
Mayfair

Mayfair

imo everything is largely all nonsense.
Well that's even pessimistic by my standards :LOL:

We don't understand anything beyond even the very basics of genetics / human physiology / the brain.
... and aren't likely to, in our lifetimes, it's just too new. In comparison to 50 years ago, we know a heck of a lot more. However, I agree, the knowledge is in its infancy.

Of course - One of my own particular areas of interest is the very strong correlation between shamanism & schizophrenia.
It's not something I know much about.

Have also read a lot of articles / studies that outline 'your' idea.
I don't read much, and never have. I certainly don't have your knowledge. If others think the same then I have no knowledge of it - though it seems likely that others have thought and written about it! I just write my thoughts as I have always done, and over time collated both my writing and thoughts to come up with what I see as the most likely answers.

The main point that i can't get away from is that biology / psychology / sociology / spirituality - is all interrelated, interdependent & interconnected. & so any polemical argument for any one position over another is missing the whole picture.
Well exactly. As a human race, we aren't much different. It's in part why I pretty much dismiss what I consider to be negative grouping method, namely DSM.

Last edited:
cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I don't read much, and never have. I certainly don't have your knowledge. If others think the same then I have no knowledge of it - though it seems likely that others have thought and written about it! I just write my thoughts as I have always done, and over time collated both my writing and thoughts to come up with what I see as the most likely answers.
i used to buy books on certain areas, now i just do all the main bulk of the research on-line.

A very basic article on it all -

5 Brain Disorders That Started as Evolutionary Advantages

Or Google 'evolutionary eplanations for mental illness'

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Well that's even pessimistic by my standards :LOL:
Think it's being more realistic & seeing things more for what they are.

... and aren't likely to, in our lifetimes, it's just too new. In comparison to 50 years ago, we know a heck of a lot more. However, I agree, the knowledge is in its infancy.
Then why is 'everyone' pretending / believing / assuming that we know what causes & what the main reasons are for mental health difficulties & best treatments? It's all fucking nonsense - excuse my French.

Mayfair

Mayfair

i used to buy books on certain areas, now i just do all the main bulk of the research on-line.

A very basic article on it all -

5 Brain Disorders That Started as Evolutionary Advantages

Or Google 'evolutionary eplanations for mental illness'
That read is like something written by someone young. Certainly someone who has grown up in the post internet era. And more importantly, someone taking the piss because they've seen a David Attenborough programme and think they know it all.

done with this topic if you are just going to mock. 'Googling answers' isn't why I joined and use forums.

Last edited:
cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
That read is like something written by someone young. Certainly someone who has grown up in the post internet era. And more importantly, someone taking the piss because they've seen a David Attenborough programme and think they know it all.

done with this topic if you are just going to mock.
i wasn't mocking. Was just a random link from a basic search. Could post some academic articles / book references - when i do that No one reads / looks at them, & say that they're confused or can't concentrate etc. i can't 'win' whatever i say / post.

Last edited:
Mayfair

Mayfair

i wasn't mocking. Was just a random link from a basic search. Could post some academic articles / book references - when i do that No one reads / looks at them, & say that they're confused or can't concentrate etc.
bold: Conveniently one which mocks me and anyone who thinks for the anti-establishment model.

non-bold: I don't come onto forums to read links, I can 'use google' as you suggested. I use them to talk to people.

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
bold: Conveniently one which mocks me and anyone who thinks for the anti-establishment model.

non-bold: I don't come onto forums to read links, I can 'use google' as you suggested. I use them to talk to people.
Whatever - You said that you had come up with an idea that what is labelled as mental illness was left over from evolutionary advantages - i was just trying to show that there has been a huge amount of research done in that area, & that a lot of people had discussed it all. i've posted reams of material over the years on here about the links between the Shamanic & Psychosis. Most of the discussion i've had on here has been on that area.