• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Researchers Claim to Show for First Time that Therapy Can Prevent Suicides

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Researchers Claim to Show for First Time that Therapy Can Prevent Suicides

Researchers Claim to Show for First Time that Therapy Can Prevent Suicides | Mad In America

December 13, 2014

“Repeat suicide attempts and deaths by suicide were roughly 25 percent lower among a group of Danish people who underwent voluntary short-term psychosocial counseling after a suicide attempt,” states a press release about a Danish study in The Lancet Psychiatry. “The findings are believed to be the first to show that talk therapy-focused suicide prevention actually works.”

The researchers studied 5678 people who, after deliberately self-harming themselves, received any form of psychosocial talk therapy intervention at various suicide prevention clinics in Denmark during 1992—2010, and compared them to 17,034 people who did not receive any psychosocial therapy intervention after deliberately self-harming.

“Although just six-to-ten talk therapy sessions were provided, researchers found long-term benefits: Five years after the counseling ended, there were 26 percent fewer suicides in the group that received treatment as compared to a group that did not.”

The researchers stated that the therapy seemingly prevented 30 suicide deaths over the 20-year period. However, they added that there may be confounding factors. “People attending treatment at the clinics might represent a select group with respect to willingness and motivation to make a difference in their lives, leading to a self-selection bias, although the matching intended to adjust for this.”

Parissa

Parissa

In this country they make you go through years of this before they think you are 'well enough' or 'ready for' counselling. All people want is someone to talk to, and instead they get some asshole in A&E making them feel like shit when they already feel like shit.

Parissa

Parissa

I'm being so negative, you know there were many who were so kind and listened, who admited me or sent me to crisis resolution team, some who were kind, yeah, many, but the times when i really needed help, i seeemed to get this one CPN who was so spiteful. Didn't like her. A couple of psychiatrists i saw too, they were dismissive. I think a short course of specific counselling would have worked wonders for me.

E

earthbound_misfit

What is so weird about this is - why has it taken so long? Isn't it blindingly obvious that someone who has an accepting, kind, humane response will feel better than someone who doesn't? I suppose it might be one of those things that seems so obvious no-one thinks to collet official/scientific data on it for ages. But to me there is a hint of pathologising everything to the point they don't see the human anymore. Kind of like if a psych nurse was abrupt and dismissive to their patients, because it hadn't occurred to them to be nice until someone published a study about it! There seems to be a lot of this kind of thing though... sometimes I think mental health isn't even "the blind leading the blind"... it's the blind leading those who can see but are in immense pain.

Psych patients (esp. neurotic side of things) are just being people, only more so. It is horrific that they are then further separated and labelled which compounds the original issues, not cures them. If they could have prescribed me lots of cuddles and love and friendship/community, I'd be better by now (I spent some time living VERY communally and it was the only time the heavy weight inside lifted). This is largely to do with society/so-called "mentally healthy"(!) people, although knowing what society is like should inform psych services, yet doesn't. They seem to think the world outside the hospital is full of kind, thoughtful people and endless opportunity. They expect you to have a crowd of supportive friends... anyone else had that shame inducing conversation where they incredulously ask "What, you have no friends..?" (and the context is often asking if there's anyone who will pick you up in the middle of the night, or have you stay with them or similar... a much different question!) The worst thing is, a lot of pain is caused by loneliness, bottling things up etc., yet these are then seen as more symptoms... rather than what any human would feel in the circumstances.

However, they added that there may be confounding factors. “People attending treatment at the clinics might represent a select group with respect to willingness and motivation to make a difference in their lives, leading to a self-selection bias, although the matching intended to adjust for this.”
This makes me want to smack the person who wrote it. Yes, because most of us suicidal people can't be bothered to "make a difference in our lives". Clearly we'd be fine if we were just willing and motivated. Obviously feeling so crap you try to kill yourself isn't enough motivation on it's own!

This is especially grating as it was clearly the first time these people has been offered such a response - they were crying out for help and getting none, so why blame them, or suggest that ones not offered therapy were somehow not trying as hard? I mean, they can't have asked everyone, can they? How did they decide who should get help?

Apologies for wild rant, but hey I need to get it out somehow!
:clap:
EM x

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
What is so weird about this is - why has it taken so long? Isn't it blindingly obvious that someone who has an accepting, kind, humane response will feel better than someone who doesn't? I suppose it might be one of those things that seems so obvious no-one thinks to collet official/scientific data on it for ages. But to me there is a hint of pathologising everything to the point they don't see the human anymore. Kind of like if a psych nurse was abrupt and dismissive to their patients, because it hadn't occurred to them to be nice until someone published a study about it! There seems to be a lot of this kind of thing though... sometimes I think mental health isn't even "the blind leading the blind"... it's the blind leading those who can see but are in immense pain.
Totally agree with your entire post. But it seems that every generation has been having this debate -

Moral treatment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Go back 3 to 400 years & the issues in essence were the same.

i think it can be very well argued that a medical approach to mental health is almost entirely the wrong approach to begin with.

Lets not forget that there is still zero evidence for any concrete biological physiological psychopathology in any functional mental health disorder. i don't personally think people are primarily suffering from something that is wrong with their brains.

Anyway - Try to argue any different to the current pharmacological/biomedical psychiatric/medical/political/mainstream social establishment/system/order over it all - & see how far 'you' get. i think humanity is suffering a collective & very powerful delusion.

Parissa

Parissa

That highlighted part made me furious also. The whole not being ready thing is similar. Not ready for what? Kindness and respect? Not ready to stop self-harming/overdosing? Of course we are ready, we are desperate for help to stop, desperate. Being not ready is code for our intervention is not working/making this person worse. Or lack of intervention. Seething!!!! The amount of times i was told i am not ready, and i sat there thinking what on earth are you waiting for! I'm begging you for help.

Parissa

Parissa

They kept throwing medication at me, take this, take that, not telling me why, not telling me that i would be so drowsy i wouldn't be able to get up, never mind, drive, never mind function at work. No wonder i kept stopping taking them. Unless there is a good reason for medication, unless you are told what is wrong and what might help, why, for how long, why would you take what they chuck at you. Eventually it was explained, i saw what effect it had, i took it and felt better. But to give me major sedatives when i had to go to work was just plain stupid. No it was cruel! They just made things worse. Labels and drugging, not helpful. Talking, helpful, listening, helpful. Figuring out what is wrong and THEN medicating, a bit more sensible, but seeing a psychiatrist for 15 minutes, who knows nothing about you, and leaving with this medication that medication, i must have gone through about 8 in a few months. It is all so wrong.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
The researchers stated that the therapy seemingly prevented 30 suicide deaths over the 20-year period. However, they added that there may be confounding factors. “People attending treatment at the clinics might represent a select group with respect to willingness and motivation to make a difference in their lives, leading to a self-selection bias, although the matching intended to adjust for this.”
i think the researchers would have had to have included this caveat, because the nay sayers/defenders of the biomedical psychiatric faith will give any reason as to why more comprehensive psychological/social approaches don't work/aren't proven, nor effective, over orthodox biomedical interventions [Diagnosis & Drugs] (which ironically have little to no evidence base for their efficacy & a lot has been proved wrong, not that this bothers people of that persuasion as it's more akin to a religious faith).

i don't think this research (in the OP) will change anything incidentally. It doesn't fit with label & drug everyone up.

It doesn't matter what evidence/research is laid at the door of the pharmacological/biomedical psychiatry Industry - they're Not dealing in any real science/evidence.

Last edited:
S

supergreysmoke

A lot will depend on quality counsellors, as we've seen with CBT, and a nation as morally bankrupt as the USA is today will rapidly deplete its stock of quality counsellors. Then things are likely to go backwards....and my guess is it will take something akin to a civil war, plague or revolution, to change the hearts of a people that far off the path. Something collective needs to happen...

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Lots of interesting points coming up on this thread.

My initial reaction was the same as earthbound's - why has it taken so long to recognise this? Surely this is common sense?

I do however agree that a lot of this depends on the empathy and competency of the therapist...

Though is this article talking about therapy or counselling? There's a big difference between the two.
I for one have found my experience with therapists to be really bad, whereas my counsellor at the moment is incredibly supportive and is making a difference.
I honestly suspect it's a therapists job to trigger the fuck out of you, whereas a counsellor is more chilled out and happy to just listen without judgement.

And yeah, the whole "not ready" thing makes me wonder if my suspicion is true.
Surely if something is a nurturing, healing process then a willingness to engage is all that's needed to be ready?
Maybe they know some people are too vulnerable to go through the experience of being head-fucked by a therapist. :unsure: