• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Research and Advocacy

D

DMaher

Hello,

Please can friends/relatives/carers etc i.e. people who actually pick up the pieces and live with a person with health issues, please tell me of anyone specially they recommend for advocacy or research. There is very little mental health advocacy in my area, it's restricted to after a crisis has happened. Are there any individuals that anyone can recommend who could do advocacy or some research.

I am a person who has been stable a long time and would prefer to stay that way, therefore I absolutely do not want to be fobbed off with more and more organisations/services etc. Does anyone know a person who would actually be capable of researching suitable paid employment for a person who hasn't worked in a long time but really can't work in the factories and laundry services which JobCentres will place me in.

Is there even such a thing as a person who knows anything about the different kinds of paid occupations which there are?

The Careers Service are useless, they just ask you 'what do you want to do?', if I knew that I wouldn't be asking. Please if anyone can help or at least tell me why the above request seems so difficult to understand. Please advise, I can pay about £15 out of my benefit for research. Any information, but please no organisations.

Thank you
D Maher

S

*Sapphire*

I'm unclear what you are asking for but I used to work in recruitment and I also have a mental health history with a section on my medical record, yet have found a job.

It may not be as impossible as it seems.

I can understand your fear of rejection, but unfortunately with the best research in the world it may not get you through an interview.

The rejection after all might not be about your skills but all sorts of things there are many aspects to recruitment, employers take personality fits into account, whether somone is likely to interact well with the team or the manager, matching similar or opposing skills and characters, all sorts.

I guess logically looking at it, I would go by what you know. What you may have worked in in the past, the skills you have gained through work and life and whether any of them are transferrable into a job role you are applying for.

There is nothing wrong in adapting your CV for a particular role.
For example if I am going for a customer services job, I will put customer services as the top bullet-point in my past job roles (where I have used customer service skills).

I also echo words that the advert uses and highlight those words on my CV. So if it says that they need someone who is dynamic , I will preface some of my experiences with the word dynamic or put the word in my introduction.

I don't ever lie although I know others do.

It is also worth remembering that you can leave blank spots on your CV and they may ask you why in your interview but you don't have to go into detail.
You also don't have to write your date of birth of inidicate your age on your CV.

The best way to get through interviews is practice, practice and practice! I ask myself questions they may ask, practice my handshake firm but fair! I also research the company and take a good look at their website, then I try to slip a fact or two I learned about the company into my interview! :D
I also practice eye contact, and also being able to pause comfortably before I answer.

It is okay to mull over a question and ask them for some time to consider their question before you answer.

I found it easier to find people jobs who had job history on their CV even if it was voluntary work. I found my job through volunteering, a lot of people do. If you are not sure if you would enjoy something why not try finding a volunteer job doing just that?

But anyway I have no idea if this is what you wanted, sorry if it is not I may have rambled on unneccesarily!

Last edited:
D

DMaher

Thank you very much for replying. If there is anything more specific you find out in the future, please forward to me when you have time.

Thank you
D Maher

M

maudikie

To D Maher.

Jobs are very difficult at present, even for the totally fit. Have you any particular hobbies, such as walking, painting, sewing, woodwork? There may be a group in your area which you could join and just do some voluntary work, or of course there are all sorts of educational classes which are now available to the more mature people. (Sorry I don't know your age - I'm at the "going off" stage!"
Put your thinking cap on, and find a hobby if you are no able to find work. that brings you into company, and that is a help.
Best wishes.