• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Request for research participants in the North West!

gemmaLIV

gemmaLIV

Founding Member
Hello!

My name is Gemma. I am currently doing some research with the university of Liverpool, which I am hoping will contribute to the literature that might influence psychiatric diagnosis (in a good way!). I am looking for people in the north west who wouldn't mind being interviewed about their experiences of different mental health difficulties, including bipolar disorder. The official advert is below - if you're interested. Please email me if you think that you might like to take part, or if you have any questions. I would welcome feedback from you as well!

I've only joined the forum tonight, but I hope that you might see me about the place in the coming weeks - it seems like a really friendly and supportive atmosphere!

Thanks for reading! :)

Gemma

Participants in the North West required!

Psychiatric diagnosis:
Are dimensions more appropriate than categories?​

This research aims to look at whether psychiatric diagnoses are really separate from each other, or whether people with different diagnoses share symptoms and experiences along dimensions.

If you experience difficulties with low or high mood, any kind of anxiety, obsessions and compulsions, phobias, or hearing voices, I would really like to interview you about your symptoms. The interview takes between 30 and 60 minutes, and could be carried out at a convenient location for you, such as your home or an NHS facility near you. I can also pay your travel expenses, if you have any.

This research will form part of my doctorate in clinical psychology, and has been approved by the University of Liverpool research committee. It is hoped that the findings will be published to add to the literature that aims to improve diagnostic practices in the future.

I would be happy to answer any queries about the research – contacting me does not mean that you have to take part. I am happy to travel within the North West region, to interview people at home, or at local NHS facilities. If you live further away than this, but would like to take part, please call me and we can try to arrange something convenient!

Thank you!

Gemma

Telephone: 0151 794 5534 or 0151 794 5530
Email: [email protected]

Closing date: End of March, 2008​

C

chicken

Gemma - you might be interested in a debate about the technology angle - related to the so called schizophrenics / psychotic types. Who believe that they are "followed" around and or have voices. I am in the Mid - north west.

A good article to read by Dr Vaughan Bell - will help you understand his version of his believes from a flawed research paper. Vaughan is based in London and we can see the paper was very limited in interpretation and as a result had a "limited" outcome pertaining to the view and reasons. We could have done a better job ourselves.......With greater insight and more examples that were a true reflection of actually is going on. We know he did not speak to real live patients in this so called academic effort.....
Chicken

Last edited:
gemmaLIV

gemmaLIV

Founding Member
Thanks for the reference!

Hi! Thanks for replying! :)

I'll check out the reference - thanks! Looks like I'll be reading it pretty critically though... I'll get back to you!

Gemma

midnight

midnight

Founding Member
hey I use your homer picture in my presentations at work te he

gemmaLIV

gemmaLIV

Founding Member
So do I! That's how I came across it in the first place... makes for a great ice breaker, and gets people talking! :)

midnight

midnight

Founding Member
yeh you are right - humour is an excellent medium to convey messages I think.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
HLon99 Bipolar Forum 6