• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

Request for research participants in the North West!

gemmaLIV

gemmaLIV

Founding Member
Hello!

My name is Gemma and I'm currently doing some research with the university of Liverpool. I would really like the research to contribute to literature that might change the psychiatric diagnostic system... for the better! The advert that is approved by the University is below, if you're interested. Please e-mail me if you would like more information or to take part. I'd appreciate any feedback that people have about it as well!

I really like the forum - just had a quick look as I've only joined tonight. It seems really supportive and friendly! I expect that you will see me around in other places too!

Thanks for reading! :)

Gemma

Participants in the North West required!

Psychiatric diagnosis:
Are dimensions more appropriate than categories?​

This research aims to look at whether psychiatric diagnoses are really separate from each other, or whether people with different diagnoses share symptoms and experiences along dimensions.

If you experience difficulties with low or high mood, any kind of anxiety, obsessions and compulsions, phobias, or hearing voices, I would really like to interview you about your symptoms. The interview takes between 30 and 60 minutes, and could be carried out at a convenient location for you, such as your home or an NHS facility near you. I can also pay your travel expenses, if you have any.

This research will form part of my doctorate in clinical psychology, and has been approved by the University of Liverpool research committee. It is hoped that the findings will be published to add to the literature that aims to improve diagnostic practices in the future.

I would be happy to answer any queries about the research – contacting me does not mean that you have to take part. I am happy to travel within the North West region, to interview people at home, or at local NHS facilities. If you live further away than this, but would like to take part, please call me and we can try to arrange something convenient!

Thank you!

Gemma

Telephone: 0151 794 5534 or 0151 794 5530
Email: [email protected]

Closing date: End of March, 2008​

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
Hi Gemma, I'm originally from the Pool!!! I don't live in the NW any more, but I'd be interested in acting as an informant for your research. I'd imagine this would have to take place via Computer-Mediated Communication (CMC), but over the last two years I compiled primary research for a paper using IM services. I also travelled up to Leeds and conducted more conventional ethnographic interviews. Let me tell you despite the quailty of the audio and subsequent transcripts I obtained the amount of (wo)man hours required to type up the interviews was a 'mare :eek: With CMC its usually just a case of turning on the 'logs' :innocent:

Look forward to speaking about this in the future...

...and :welcome:

gemmaLIV

gemmaLIV

Founding Member
Hi Gemma, I'm originally from the Pool!!! I don't live in the NW any more, but I'd be interested in acting as an informant for your research. I'd imagine this would have to take place via Computer-Mediated Communication (CMC), but over the last two years I compiled primary research for a paper using IM services. I also travelled up to Leeds and conducted more conventional ethnographic interviews. Let me tell you despite the quailty of the audio and subsequent transcripts I obtained the amount of (wo)man hours required to type up the interviews was a 'mare :eek: With CMC its usually just a case of turning on the 'logs' :innocent:

Look forward to speaking about this in the future...

...and :welcome:
Hello! Thanks for replying... I really appreciate it! Although I now feel very uneducated in the world of the internet and computers. I know nothing about CMC or what that would involve! Ethically, however, I have to interview people face to face, which is unfortunate in this case! Would it be a long, long journey for me to come to you?

Maybe it won't be possible :( but I really appreciate the offer! :D

Thanks for being so welcoming!

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
There's actually quite a lot written on CMC as a research tool, regarding ethics I'm intrigued to know the criteria? I'm aware that it is often cited that you can't be exactly sure of the intergrity of an informant interviewed over the internet, but actually that is equally true person to person; that then is not so much an ethical constraint rather a practical one?

I'm actually going to be coming up to Liverpool this summer some time as it's the city of culture and of course my hometown. I'd be able to spare some time this summer while I was up. Can I ask which format the interview would take i.e. stucture/unstructured, formal/informal?

I'm guessing that you are in the first year of your DPsych? I'm not sure how you are structuring it, 1st year prep, 2nd year research, 3rd year writing up? If you are a little way through year 1, then doing the interview over the summer should be no problem?

(edited to add I am based in Westminster, so unless you take trips down to the smoke, quite out of your way)

Last edited:
gemmaLIV

gemmaLIV

Founding Member
Hi!

Thanks again for getting back to me. In terms of the ethics, I'm tied to face to face interviews because that's what I suggested when I put in my proposal... had I known about CMC I would have done this differently!

I'm actually in the 3rd year of the course - you do all of the data collection and write up in one year... unfortunately! :mad: It's a lot of work so you have to be pretty determined! :innocent:

I'm looking to finish data collection by the end of March, as I had in (25, 000 words) in June :eek:

There just aren't enough "smilees" to express it!

Thanks again for your interest - glad to see that you're revisiting your roots at some point. Now I'm in Liverpool, I can't really imagine being away from it for too long!

Gemma

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
Ahhh k, well my trip up to Liverpool won't help you that much :unsure: That said if you find yourself in London for any reason, a post in this thread will notify me of a reply, and we could negotiate a safe environment for you to get inside my head. I am having a bit of a political battle with my ex-care team, so their premises would be out of the question. That said there's probably a hundred suitable places be they NHS or Academia...

Let me know if you are coming down.

gemmaLIV

gemmaLIV

Founding Member
You're so kind - thank you!!

I will definitely let you know if I'm heading that way, thank you! Good luck with the political battle... it sounds as if you're seriously experienced and knowledgeable - so I'm sure you don't need my luck (not that I even believe in luck anyway! :rolleyes:)

I'll definitely look up the literature on CMC if I ever decide to do more research... but at the moment, I can't think that far ahead!

I'm off to transcribe... :cry:

See you around the place, I'm sure! And thanks again.

Gemma

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Schizophrenia Forum 3