• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

pepecat

pepecat

Please note this has been approved by the mods.

Dear All,

My name is Maximiliano Braun (you can call me Max) and I am a reportage photographer and film maker. I am producing a documentary and photographic reportage on BPD with the aim to help audiences understand it better and help with the de-stigmatising of mental health issues in general. This is a call for potential participants, both people affected by BPD and/or their family members.

I want to assure you that I respect the people I work with and that I love what I do. Although this would be my first opportunity of working in a project in mental health, it isn't my first project on medicine based stories. I have produced one major project on my own on the lives of families of people affected by brain damage and have been part of another major project on the quality of life of people with Multiple Sclerosis in the European Union.

You can see both projects (Stay With Me and Under Pressure) on my site:
Stay With Me

Under Pressure

As you may notice, I do not add a documentary voice-over on my work as most documentaries do. I prefer the audience to learn from you directly. As a participant, you would have the chance to contribute to the documentary and reportage with your own words and potentially with your own images and footage. Both of these projects aim to help others understand you and the things that are important to you, those around you and, by that token, help improve the understanding of BPD.

You may also notice that I have filmed and photographed people in their day to day, whether at home, at work or on an important location. This project on BPD, in a similar way to the work I have made, needs a commitment that allows me to document you in pretty much the same way. The importance of this is significant in that the documentary and reportage need to put the audience in a first person perspective, to see and have an insight into what life is like with BPD.

I know that there may be concerns on the portrayal of people with mental health issues in the media. I wholeheartedly empathize with these concerns and I wish for you to rest assured that my intentions with the documentary are not to negatively portray people with BPD or mental health issues, at all.

Lastly, on the matter of time, documentaries take time to shoot because it is almost impossible to create an insight into something in a day or two. This is especially true when we wish to tackle something that needs more patience and understanding like mental health. Every short story I made before had different production times and it would be unfair to you and difficult for me to promise an X amount of time to finish shooting the project. In my experience and for varying reasons, some of the previous participants in my stories could see me daily, some weekly. Some I could only see within 10 days, some I could see on and off over a few months. It is best to work on a time frame that is fitting to someone’s needs so please get in touch to discuss timing further if you are considering participating.

If you are interested, or have any questions, please get in touch through:
[email protected] or through the Messaging function in the forum.

I am based in London, therefore there is a preference for participants that live within Greater London. That being said, anyone interested is welcome to get in touch.

Sincerely,
Maximiliano (Max)

Last edited:
SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I'm not interested in being in the documentary, but would like to watch it when it's completed.

M

maxbraun

Dear all,

Just a quick message. This is me in the forum so you can also message me through here if you have any questions.

Thank you SomersetScorpio. I'll be in touch when the documentary is completed.

Cheers,

Max

D

Darkpigeon

Hello Max I just wanted to ask if it was ok... if you had found any participants yet? also I would be very interested to watch your work when its finished.

M

maxbraun

Hi Darkpigeon,

Sure, any questions are welcome.

Sadly, we haven't found any participants yet but we are still looking for them. Perhaps the Greater London preference may have deterred some people from getting in touch but, again, if there is anyone elsewhere in the UK who is interested, please do get in touch.

Also, I should clarify that getting in touch doesn't mean making any commitment. Therefore everyone is welcome to ask questions and I am happy to hear any comments about this. I am here to learn and to listen as part of my effort to translate BPD onto the wider audience.

Yes, indeed, once the documentary is completed I will request permission to post an update and release dates on the stills and film parts of the work and how can people access it.

Cheers,

Max

M

maxbraun

Dear all,

Hope everyone is well.
Just a quick update on the documentary.
I started working with one participant as of this past couple of weeks.
I am still looking for one or two other participants if anyone would still be interested.

It is worth mentioning that this participant's timeline for the documentary is a tentative 6 week period, spread through 3-4 days a week. The participant has social activities that include work and classes, but we're starting with an easy few hours a day during the participant's free time.

I can't yet divulge too many details, but if anyone has any questions about the work, I'm happy to answer.

Cheers,

Max

M

_messofme_

i would be interested in seeing it defiently... id love to participate but cant as im in an entirely different country :( but maybe my country will do something similar one day.

M

maxbraun

Hi _messofme_

Thanks for your interest. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I'll definitely let everyone here know when I complete the project.

Sadly enough, since current funding woudln't allow me to travel internationally to compliment the project with other views and societies, I can't really offer that at the moment.

But, you never know how a project develops in time and maybe I would have a chance to meet participants in other countries.

If it happens, I'll surely come back here and let everyone know.

Cheers,

Max

G

Gredge23

Yup I would be interested but I'm in Ireland unfortunately

M

maxbraun

Hi Gredge23,

Thanks for your interest as well! If anything changes, I'll def come back here!

Thank you everyone!

Max

M

maxbraun

Hi Dan,

Thanks for getting in touch. I'll drop you a message.

Cheers,

Max