• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Repressed memory?

A

AbcAbc

I'm 16 (nearly 17), and got kissed, for some reason this made me extremely upset and i couldn't stop crying. Ive been kissed before and been fine just..not in 'the same way'.

Anyway, it suddenly dawned on me that as a child of about 8-9, my brothers friend (age 12/13 then) used to kiss me, and (i'm unsure whether this memory is true) i remember him going to lift up my top, but i stopped him.

I'm wondering if i could have repressed something that happened between the two of us, and if that could be why i was so upset. After i realised this i felt so much better about what happened

can these types of memories be repressed or is it just severe, traumatic events that are repressed?

L

LionAngel29

I have had temporary amnaesia for years and in time the memories finally came back, I'd get bits and bits come to mw slowly until I got the last piece of the puzzle. I was kissed by someone when I was 9 and it was totally inappropriate, which I'd forgotten till I was in my early to mid 20s. When I was asked the question if I was kissed by this person when I was 13, I couldn't quite place it, it was like a blur until the face popped out at me in a flashback. So at 13 I infact lied about not being kissed but it's excused because I couldn't remember everything at the time. That was just one piece of the puzzle and the rest came in flashbacks and dreams. There is a thing known as repressed memory related to traumatic incidents as you say.

dib4uk

dib4uk

I'm 16 (nearly 17), and got kissed, for some reason this made me extremely upset and i couldn't stop crying. Ive been kissed before and been fine just..not in 'the same way'.

Anyway, it suddenly dawned on me that as a child of about 8-9, my brothers friend (age 12/13 then) used to kiss me, and (i'm unsure whether this memory is true) i remember him going to lift up my top, but i stopped him.

I'm wondering if i could have repressed something that happened between the two of us, and if that could be why i was so upset. After i realised this i felt so much better about what happened

can these types of memories be repressed or is it just severe, traumatic events that are repressed?

YES!!! is the short anserw, memories are a funny thing, sometimes we repress something that we cant deal with at the time, maybe something was triggered in you when you got kissed, maybe it felt the same or was by someone that was similar. Basically what im saying is that no one really knows why we repress the things we do.

C

coraline1664

I've possibly had the same thing with some events in the early years of school, they are vague and horrible 'memories', but the harder i think about it the more I think they were dreams. I still don't know.