• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

repressed memories

U

unique86

hi so im not diagnosed yet but i was seen by a cpn about a couple months back and she said my symptoms such as hallucinations and depression are down to trauma.
i am going to see a different cpn this week with the secoundry mental health care.
my memories are of childhood sexual abuse and i have only been getting memories of it over the past couple of years.
i was wondering if anyone else as had help with repressed memories?
or therepy for trauma and did it help?
thanks

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I haven't had the help yet. I had a repressed memory of the same thing which only came to light as such last year.

I'm sorting out counselling at the moment as long as I pass the assessment and it looks like a decent place for me it's going to cost me £25 a session but there is a waiting list.

I had some CBT but before we actually got on to the subject my sessions were cut short.

I hope you get some proper help for yours. Keep us updated if you can.

Marliee x

Sparklypurplepaws

Sparklypurplepaws

Hi,
My therapist and pyschatrist both believe I have repressed memories of childhood abuse. I have no actual memories of this, just current dreams, self harm from a very young age and a couple of incidents that happened when I was young.
I find it all very frustrating - but I'm not sure if it would be worse if I could remember or not.
I don't have any real advise to you, sorry - I just wanted you to know that your not alone xx

H

hillclimbs

I had some trauma focussed CBT sessions and was then referred on to a charity that enabled me to have longer term treatment and take it more slowly.

My memories of early childhood aren't repressed, but are fragmented, which means that I don't have a whole picture. This makes it more difficult to understand and sometimes I have really wanted to be able to understand, but as my therapist told me, I may have to accept that I may not get the full memory. Good therapists are very carful not to try to fill in the gaps in memory, but to work with what is there to help you get some acceptance of that.

U

unique86

well to be honest i wish i never got the danm memories cos theres nothing i can do
i mean i havent told anyone apart from my partner.
doubt my family would even believe me as this person is in my family and well liked!

U

unique86

i havent got every little detail but i have the most of it i believe.

katya

katya

I haven't experienced repressed memories, really; I have suffered childhood sexual abuse, but I've always had pretty much the whole picture. I have, in the past, thought of new aspects of it which have been very upsetting and disturbing. I'm sorry you're going through this.

I'm glad you're currently getting support; I hope you can tell your mental health workers (not sure who you're in contact with) about your repressed memories coming back so that they can support you and help you deal with it.

:hug1:

If you ever need to PM me about it, please do; I'm in a fairly good place about it all now.

C

Clum76

I am 39 years of age and have been having sort of flashbacks only in the past 6months and they started after I read a book about a girl who was abused ! I never had any memories of it before that but remember that I was quite rude as a child and have took some extreme sexual risks as an adult !Now I don't know what to think weather these memories are real or not !But the more I read the more I think it is actually possible that I have forgotten about the abuse until that book triggered the memories to come back !It could also be possible that my mental health is getting worse and that reading that book with my anxiety and sometimes paranoid that it just put ideas in my head ! Im veey confused!

J

Josaphine

Hi All, I can relate to this, repressed memories and also remembering bits and bobs, I experience really violent nightmares so I have medication to help me sleep which isn't great as to me that is putting a plaster over the cut and not treating the wound, but I have had cbt and mindfulness. been on loads of courses and I am waiting for DBT and rapid eye movement therapy, the nightmares are not always the same, I could go a few nights with the same dream but I can also dream something completely different every night, do anyone else experience the nightmares? I want the answers, the missing pieces to my jigsaw but like someone said above, sometimes its good not to remember everything. your advise and feedback would be great :) JO

J

Josaphine

Hi Clum76, Have you spoken to anyone regarding this, have you got a cpn or a social worker or anyone that you could express your concerns to so it doesn't leave you feeling confused and your anxiety level is probably heightened when you think of this.

C

Clum76

I went to see Gp he said it is posible that these are repressed memories ,he said that I might start to get more and then I can piece them together ,he advised me to speak to my mum and probe her about babysitters I had as a child because I told him I didn't want to upset my mum incase these thoughts are something that I have made up in my head as I do overthink things at times ! My doctor said to see how I am in a cuple of months and if im stil having these memories then he will get me on the waiting list for some talking therapy ! Thanks for your insight ! X

C

Clum76

I have suffered from anxiety and depression since I was a teenager and I have had CBT for that and I did a whole 6 week course on mindfulness meditation ! I really have tried many things over the years and read many self help books ! I understand what is rational and what isn't and thought processes jumping to conclusions,black or white thinking iecatastrophisingetctc ! I think it is possible that because the book I read was very graphic it might of just put ideas in my head and then because I have a very analytical mind I have overthought about the first flashback I kept getting and instead of ignoring it iv fixated on why I was getting it this image !

E

elise30

I was shocked and distraught when I uncovered my repressed memories. It hit me like a ton of bricks. Letting go and moving forward is my only option; it's just so hard to do. I still get flashbacks sometimes but I have coping skills. I usually distract myself by getting up and doing something else to occupy my mind and body. I think movement is important. Also, if I am having a nightmare and wake up I will turn to my other side and switch position before I close my eyes to sleep again instead of remaining in my same position because then I will just land myself right back where my nightmare ended and it will begin right where it left off. Mostly, I try to focus daily on what I am grateful for in my life and try to think of the good that I have in my life now. I try to stay positive. I just try to let the past go and stay present. Yesterday is history; tomorrow is a mystery; and today is a present so enjoy it!

C

Clum76

Thank you for responding to my post ,your advise is good ! I had this out with my family who don't seem to believe anything happened to me or could have done but these memories came from somewhere ,I'm even starting to boubt myself but I have started to focus more on positive things and even think every morning and night before I go to bed about all the things I have to be thankful for !In a way having these memories has made me understand why I get so anxious in certain situations and fearful and I'm trying to modify my behaviours accordingly ! Like for example I never start a conversation with a stranger and I feel nervous meeting new people and don't trust people ,so I'm working on this because now I understand why I'm like that !

E

elise30

I think it is great that you are moving forward. It is important to understand the past and then to take that knowledge and use it to improve your future. I am glad it seems you have figured out why you feel and act a certain way and that you are taking steps to work on improving yourself. I do the same thing. Insight is so important and helps us to make better decisions and live a better life. I wish you the best!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 7
Amber1964 Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 10