• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Reposted From Bipolar Reply; Im New & I think it's a Good Intro to me

Wandering2

Wandering2

Hi, I don't think rapid cycling is a myth at all. I was diagnosed with bipolar multiple times in the last 14 years. The illness I noticed for me changes constantly when it comes to my mood swings. And the mood isn't just a disagreement or life change that triggers me, but I know little things can at times be catastrophic to me regardless of what it is. A missing scarf or anything I can't find results in sleepless nights of shopping and replacing items. Random feelings of sadness creep on me, then when confronted I go from extreme sadness to extreme rage (adult tantrum). When depression sets in, Im not doing anything sometimes for days or weeks. I can still jump out of it at random and feel the need to perform extremely odd displays, because I feel good and can do anything. Then have at times bad outcomes because of poor decision making. These feelings for me can occur on and off daily. Medications are useless right now. But I too wonder about rapid cycling or even BPD. I also suffer severe panic attacks. Doctors are not always right, they don't see or feel our day to day. Understanding and diagnosing mental illness, is sadly still in its infancy. I plan to take note of my episodes to my doctor, because communication is fruitless going from the top of my head considering my bad memory. Im on Seroquel 75mg, Lamictal 100mg2x, stopped Lexapro (made me feel weird), and Klonopin for panic. The increase in my seroquel aggregates my anxiety. I told the doctor but she currently isn't taking that into account. I am no less psychotic when I have a break down. It sucks to feel like a goddess one day or minute and like dog piles the next. I have jumped out of windows, cars, to avoid assault or some times ending in assault because of my behavior. I have had my clothing stolen, stranded, wandered the streets, couch surfed, ran away for weeks at a time relying on exotic dancing money. It's messy upstairs.

D

Defender110

Hi there
I'm BPII with rapid cycling and mixed states. Was on a 3 day cycle 10 years ago but survived it in a clinic and now take lithium, lamictal, trazodon and brintellix (it seems to work differently to other SSRIs and doesn't send me "north"). It took 20 years to get diagnosed and 20 more years and a good shrink to finally come up with that tailor-made coctail. Okay, so my moods aren't perfect but I think they are better than most people's and I have a good job now and a good quality of life.

T

toutatis

Hi, I just want to wish you a very warm welcome to the forum Wandering2.

Welcome, friend.

P

Porche911

Hello there. Welcome. I'm undiagnosed and waiting for a diagnostic ap currently. I totally feel your pain. I've been on that many diff meds I cant count

Wandering2

Wandering2

Im thinking of bringing up brintellix and vraylar, vraylar I've heard is for mixed episodes. What Im on currently only helps me sleep which is seroquel. Lamictal doesn't stabalize anything as ive been told it should do. Antidepressants make me feel weird and uncomfortable in an indescribable way. I have panic disorder and benzodiazepines seem to be the only thing that helps. I feel they aren't strong enough and I don't think my doctor takes the anxiety and panic attacks seriously.

D

Defender110

Brintellix is a peculiar SSRI that works differently to Prozac etc. Doesn't seem to send BPs bonkers - maybe what you describe as "weird and uncomfortable" :)
Lamictal is basically an anti-convulsive that stops the brain from getting too jumpy.
Trazodon is a gentle anti-depressant that also helps you sleep (favourite in old people's homes).
Lithium is the "big boy" that just releases the steam (but you need an anti-depressant with it).
Seroquel makes me sweat and stops me from sleeping (weird).

Wandering2

Wandering2

Yeah, seroquel and all sleep aiding or things that make me tired will sometimes have a reverse effect on me. I can't take over the counter sleep aids...not only do i get more tired, but restless and anxious. Seroquel will give me a panic attack if i don't take my antianxiety meds with it. But yeah its also a paradoxical or paradoxal effect when it does the opposite of what it's supposed to do which sucks. I can't take trazadone either. But melatonin 10mg with half a unisome is ok for me if Im off my meds.

Wandering2

Wandering2

Lamictal is garbage for me...does nothing. My doctor thinks i have OCD in addition to bipolar 1. Yay. But i get it, im easily annoyed or fearful for disorderly environments. Esspecially when I lose things...my mood gets whacked out and i flip out. And the racing thoughts and obsessive ruminating thoughts cause so much anxiety. I think a lot of people with bipolar have some sort of anxiety.