• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Remove access to phone, mobile whilst admitted

T

TrippyZ

After ten weeks of manic hell my wife was admitted voluntarily yesterday evening, I had wanted this to happen much earlier but was blocked by her sister as she was 'just fine'. Anyhow, got over that hurdle when my wife started abusing the sister!

My wife rang me a lot last night both from the ward phone and her mobile to abuse me. I suspect she is also contacting her recently departed friends and neighbours who she has targeted recently. Her sister rang me this morning ordering me to stop contacting the wife!

Is it reasonable to ask the staff to take away her communications? I am worried that it is a distraction that will affect her potential for improvement.

Is there any legal basis for this?

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
I think its reasonable to let the staff know what she is doing and the distress its causing. I have expereinced this problem numerous times from my sister and in the end resorted to unplugging the house phone and keeping a mobile that she doesn't know about. It sadly can be part of the illness and won't stop until they start to get better.
KP

Gail

Gail

i have had this done to me when i was in a secure unit they took my phone away stantard practise for them and you were allowed 1 call a day on there phone
I think it is worth you mentioning this to the unit good luck

Lozzi_1004

Lozzi_1004

It certainly is reasonable to ask the staff. I would have thought there would have been monitored usage of the telephone & mobiles confiscated once admitted anyway? Explain the situation and ask for her not to be able to contact anyone until she is stable - it's for her benefit as much as yours at the end of the day.

I can imagine this is a stressful time for the both of you (you and your wife's sister). I hope everything works out OK :hug:

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Hi there,

It sounds really tough especially with your wife's sister. Do you have anyone around to support you?

I'm suprised that the staff have let your wife ring so much especially during the night. When I was 'in' the staff were pretty firm (but always in a nice way!) in their response to this sort of thing - they were always trying to promote 'appropriate' behaviour. Definitely worth having a word with the staff. I'm sure they would be able to encourage a little appropriate moderation on your wifes part.

Good luck.

XMHA

XMHA

After ten weeks of manic hell my wife was admitted voluntarily yesterday evening, I had wanted this to happen much earlier but was blocked by her sister as she was 'just fine'. Anyhow, got over that hurdle when my wife started abusing the sister!

My wife rang me a lot last night both from the ward phone and her mobile to abuse me. I suspect she is also contacting her recently departed friends and neighbours who she has targeted recently. Her sister rang me this morning ordering me to stop contacting the wife!

Is it reasonable to ask the staff to take away her communications? I am worried that it is a distraction that will affect her potential for improvement.

Is there any legal basis for this
?
Where I worked, we would routinely place people on phone restrictions due to abusing that priviledge. We've had patients call the police to say they were being held hostage and that they were angels sent to bless the world. Others would call doctors, freinds, relatives just to make death threats.....and on and on and on.

To my knowledge it is legal (in the US, at least) but, the doctor has to give it the ok.

sara

sara

When your wife is stabilised then she will be out of your hair and not contact you as often. It is her right to be allowed to contact who she pleases and can be persuaded only to not use the phones . It is a right for her to have personal freedom albeit on a hospital ward.
She is ill .:(