• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Remission or meds for life?

EarthChild

EarthChild

Just wondering - when I first got schizoaffective disorder I was ill for three years before I went into remission. Two years later I could come off meds. For five years I could cope off them. I thought I was cured.

But then eight years ago the symptoms came back and I had to go back on meds. Been on them ever since.

Tried coming off meds many times but could never work - I relapsed every time, and had to go into hospital several times.

What I'm wondering is if I could ever come off meds again - or is it for life? Someone else said the more relapses one has, the more likely one would not be able to come off meds again. Is this true?

Seeing my psychiatrist today and will ask him this too.

Z

Zaz

I'm just not convinced by medication for mental health problems. I've been on antidepressants for many years and all they seem to do is numb my senses and emotions. I've came off them many times and experienced big crashes in mood but that's more likely down to withdrawal from the drug rather than a breakdown of my mental health. I will be attempting to come off meds soon again and try to cope with life without them.

T

TheHeartHasAVoice

To answer your question technically, it is possible but every ones case is different. I started on antidepressants for OCD and was on them for years. I don't need them anymore. As I matured I learnt to handle my condition without them. I also used to be on anti-psychotics daily. I rarely take them now. I'm only on one med now.

I didn't come off anti-psychotics until I stabilized though.

T

TheHeartHasAVoice

Whatever you do, do it professionally because abrupt withdrawal can be dangerous. So do it in consultation with your doctor because they know your case. But at the same time know your rights.

N

natalie

Definitely, meds. I'd be lost without my antipshycotic and mental health all in one med.

Do not do anything regarding tapering off, not without medical guidance, please. In fact, in our medical I'll call it sectiion of MHF, we have strong guidance about people thinking of coming off from meds, I would advise th at you take a look at that there, under pshychartric drugs and medications.

L

Leopard89

Hi! I've been on Lithium since 2012 when I got the diagnosis. I've never tried to go off of them because I know all hell will break loose. My advice is to take the right pills. Do your research and then execute a plan.

Z

Zaz

I don't see the need for a GP when coming off medication. I mean if you are struggling what will they do? Put you on meds? I'd rather go it alone to be honest.

R

Rex Smith

Just wondering - when I first got schizoaffective disorder I was ill for three years before I went into remission. Two years later I could come off meds. For five years I could cope off them. I thought I was cured.

But then eight years ago the symptoms came back and I had to go back on meds. Been on them ever since.

Tried coming off meds many times but could never work - I relapsed every time, and had to go into hospital several times.

What I'm wondering is if I could ever come off meds again - or is it for life? Someone else said the more relapses one has, the more likely one would not be able to come off meds again. Is this true?

Seeing my psychiatrist today and will ask him this too.
Look at the pros and cons of life with meds vs without meds. Take into consideration how you felt and really want.

Don't just cope with life when you don't have to. Science and technology is always improving and helping those that never had the options as we have today. There's absolutely nothing wrong living your entire life with medications. Some people will die without daily medications and because of science they can experience life like everyone else.

I'm a dangerous person without medications and I'll never go without. It's a tool to help me stay out of prison and within the grey area of the law. Plus I hate losing total control and power over myself and my decisions. It's a good way to make unnecessary mistakes.

I don't understand why people have this desire to live without medications. They go round after round of failures as if they can just cure themselves with the power of bullshit thought. Psychiatrists goes with it because they will just do it anyway with or without their support. So might as well monitor and persuade them after they're exhausted and destroyed everything they have worked for.

So why do people want to go off meds to cope or even live in worse conditions? Can you answer this question? I'd really like to know and understand why so many do this because I can't see a logical reason for it. Unless it's the lack of money to buy them.

Z

Zaz

To stop pumping chemical rubbish into their bodies. To stop being brain numbed. To stop being addicted to a pill that could be damaging their minds and bodies. I mean if you're happy on medication you're not really happy are you. How can.you.tell if.its you or the meds that's happy. Choose life not drugs 🙂

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
this is a less than ideal world, little else is offered than meds, maybe it should be but it isn't and my experience of meds refuseniks is they leave a trail of havoc and it's unfair on those around you to come off meds

as someone who takes meds and is just left, openly encouraged to take meds to handle social issues that are nothing to do with my illness, i can see why people come off meds however

JessisMe

JessisMe

Meds are there to assist you in living your best possible life and to protect you and others from the negative outcomes of your behaviors when you are not on them. It can take a long time to find a med that works effectively in this way for you. Why not enjoy the good quality of life you have found rather than spend so much time trying to tamper with it? Everyone is prescribed meds because the benefits are thought to outweigh the cons associated with taking them. Choosing to stick with what works ensures quality of life and avoids negative outcomes that can come with choosing to taper off them. I have had so many negative experiences in being without meds I plan to stick with them for life. xo, j

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i'm not happy with facing an old age in poverty because i've been taking meds for 40 yrs that have left me unfit for work and unable to prepare for old age

Z

Zaz

In 25 years I've never had medication that helps yet. Yes it numbs me down and stops some outbursts but it also leads to worse depression, no energy and an unconscious stupor rather than healthy sleep. I've stopped them before and I feel i must again. My head is like scrambled eggs on meds. It'd be nice to have feelings and emotions without having to wonder if they are caused by medication.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i see stopping meds as an antisocial thing to do having seen the behaviour of those who come off meds, yes it's deminished responsibility but at some point people have come off meds knowing theres a high chance they'll behave like that

it's a sensitive subject with me my ex has come off meds, last night i heard glass breaking and assumed things wrongly i admit