• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Remembering Too Much

prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I keep remembering over and over again. I was 8. My sisters and I, we had a baby-sitter. Her name was Phyllis. She had us pinned down on the bed and tickled us so much that it hurt, and even then she didn't stop. We begged her to stop, but she didn't. She kept tickling us all over, but it didn't feel like tickling anymore. It hurt, and it felt bad. I felt trapped, overpowered. We were crying. I managed to get away from her and call my parents, who were at their Bible study group. They came home, but they gave that baby-sitter another chance. She did the same thing to us all over again the following week, and we called our parents again. We didn't have that baby-sitter ever again. I don't know why it's such a big deal to me now. I never repressed that memory, and I used to only feel complete emotional detachment from those incidents. But now it keeps playing over and over in my head and I can't get the memories out of my head.

prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feeling totally flooded. It's like the memories are in my body too, not just in my head. It's too much. This, and all the attachment issues in relation to my mom that are all bubbling to the surface. I can't cope. Every day is torment inside my head. I wish I could stop thinking. I wish I was dead.

AliceinWonderland

AliceinWonderland

Admin
I'm sorry you are in such torment. Can you tell yourself you are safe right now, in a way you weren't then? Then you were powerless and not protected (or listened to or taken seriously), but now as an adult you are stronger and understand more. You can now listen to your feelings and take them seriously, and respond with understanding and compassion. Can you visualise something perhaps that represents safety to you?

I understand about attachment and abandonment issues with regards to your mother, and know I've felt for myself they could never be resolved, but things can improve, good therapy has helped me find more peace with it all. The pain lessens, and becomes more manageable.

I hope you will be ok PC :hug: Keep distracting as much as you can. Do I remember right that you colour mandalas? I saw some lovely colouring books aimed at adults the other day, there was a whole section of them in the bookshop, very beautiful and intricate.

S

SandalwoodSummer

At some point in our lives we have to process our past. It can be painful but it doesn't hurt forever. Keep talking and keep doing nice things for yourself while you are going through this.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
W I’ve been remembering my past with my Best Friend. Do I subconsciously have mental illnesses from that time? Mental Health Experiences 3
prairiechick Remembering Mental Health Experiences 10
J Remembering images and memories from childhood that aren't real? [Cannabis + Alcohol] Mental Health Experiences 7
T Who do u guys contribute too ur life’s blessings or are curses? Mental Health Experiences 8
A I have been to the mental hospital too many times. Mental Health Experiences 10
T What too do ?? Mental Health Experiences 8
I Too much damage too early? Mental Health Experiences 19
T Got too say thank you Mental Health Experiences 4
Z too hot ! Mental Health Experiences 3
P What if it’s too late to deal with something? Mental Health Experiences 21
P How to know before it is too late? Mental Health Experiences 1
L MY SISTER WENT TOO FAR Mental Health Experiences 12
K I am too stressed and lonely Mental Health Experiences 5
W Are my expectations too high Mental Health Experiences 3
N You can be free too! Mental Health Experiences 1
T Healthy an Natural Too Look at the Future Mental Health Experiences 2
M Too girly Mental Health Experiences 10
hORIzonFINK210 if you matter too much? Mental Health Experiences 0
hORIzonFINK210 Joy number 2 priority> next too? Mental Health Experiences 1
jajingna You know you think too much when... Mental Health Experiences 2
Samjustsmile Its just too much right now! Mental Health Experiences 4
PurplePrinny80s Dream related to "too sensitive" comment Mental Health Experiences 4
L This is too much, I need advice Mental Health Experiences 2
S I'm scared I'm too mentally ill for my relationship Mental Health Experiences 5
hORIzonFINK210 too much contrast? Mental Health Experiences 1
D Can paranoia/mania happen when you drink too much caffeine? Mental Health Experiences 4
T Too good to be true.. Mental Health Experiences 29
wraziel I'm feeling too intense Mental Health Experiences 1
N TOO EMOTIONAL Mental Health Experiences 10
B Am i getting too worked up? Mental Health Experiences 6
I Mental health discredited, has this happened to you too? Mental Health Experiences 14
Z not feeling too good Mental Health Experiences 21
Narutaku Too Many Diagnoses in the Mental Health World Mental Health Experiences 1
Confusedandanxious Im far too suspicious. TW - grooming Mental Health Experiences 3
R Is this too much info Mental Health Experiences 4
I_Wish I feel nothing, and then too much. Mental Health Experiences 4
aspieguy1984 Feeling like i have no one to talk too. Mental Health Experiences 6
Confusedandlabeled too labeled Mental Health Experiences 6
S in too much pain , sat here in tears Mental Health Experiences 5
A I've been thinking very deep, as of recently. Topics that I probably shouldn't dive too deep into. Mental Health Experiences 4
B Too many problems and no one to tell them about.. Mental Health Experiences 7
Zardos Took Too Many Pills Again Mental Health Experiences 3
D Films affect me TOO MUCH to the point of medication Mental Health Experiences 6
valleygirl The Pharmacist Gave Me Too Many Pills Mental Health Experiences 7
J Feel lost and unable too leave this rut Mental Health Experiences 1
S Looking for people who get this too: Horrible feelings that cannot be described with words. Mental Health Experiences 6
S horribly depressed again , too down , too much pain Mental Health Experiences 12
E Too scared to go to the docs, been told too " just get on with it " by a doctor Mental Health Experiences 8
S it hurts too much , its relentless , why am i being punished in this life ? Mental Health Experiences 2
S my life is way too empty Mental Health Experiences 6