• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Religious belief

V

vii

Former member
I'm so interested how your illness and experience of schizophrenia has affected your belief in God/Jesus.
Personally I was always atheist and going through psychosis or hearing voices never changed my atheism.
It sometimes made me believe EVIL is real though.

Did anybody lose their belief or become more religious due to schizophrenia?

John Lamb

John Lamb

I have heard voices for 3 decades, with no psychosis and had always been an atheist. During this time I thought I was telepathic, which made me withdrawn but apart from that I was always able to cope.
Following a glorious awakening I became a born again Christian and life’s never been better. I’m spiritual not religious but follow the Bible. The negative voices have practically gone, except for once every 6 months or so when I think of bad memories. I have a positive voice which I experience occasionally and wouldn’t like that to go, it’s the Holy Spirit.
Regarding evil, it’s very real imho. All negative hallucinations are induced by demons causing negative voices, visions, tactile, etc.

C

confused31

My illness (not schizophrenia) and trauma led me to Jesus

LoqLamp

LoqLamp

I’m not schizophrenic but my mum is and she’s become very religious over the years of suffering with it. I also have. A friend Who suffers from it but it doesn’t seem to have changed anything with him.

C

confused31

There is a comfort in believing in God

whyoverandover (was mirrorImage123)

whyoverandover (was mirrorImage123)

I lost my religion, then found other religions after my diagnosis. One time I hallucinated Mother Mary or a Nun where my birdscage was hanging. It didn’t make me more religious because it was just a hallucination. I think my mind was playing with the shape of the birdcage in the dark.

SchizoaffectiveCat

SchizoaffectiveCat

The whole of my religious experience was shaped by my schizoaffective disorder. First, It made me a christian, and a year ago It led me to my current religion (Umbanda). It was all based on my hallucinations and delusions, but still I think that was God's way of talking to me.

C

chargrillwon

@vii I went from Jesus to “dude I’m not saying it but dude it’s aliens” to atheist to durka durka then to jesus again full circle.

M

Misssad1111

@vii first i was atheist. going through hearing all the voices i believed in God because I always seemed to talk to my angels. angeles gone, replaced by demons. thought i was living in some variation of hell. lost my faith in God completely due to this illness. We are left here high and dry and completely CLUELESS

C

chargrillwon

I chased after a lady into that so it didn’t really count. I’m a Jesus dude.

John Lamb

John Lamb

@John Lamb

Did you need to get baptized?
My parents had me baptised as a baby. Shortly after my 50th birthday I was then baptised in the Holy Spirit which was down to God’s grace. This is different to water baptism, it’s when you actually experience the Holy Spirit, like the apostles at Pentecost.

I wouldn’t deter anyone from getting baptised. I’ve listened to Christian teachers and they say full immersion is best. Many then go on to experience the Holy Spirit later.