Religion

C

Cazzy_1

Psychiatry ridiculed my religious beliefs breaching my human rights.

Psychiatry have major issues with religious people.

blacksmoke

blacksmoke

well they believe their own hype that they have the control over mh. i wonder why they exist? have they ever cured anyone? have they improved anyone's life?

i really doesn't surprise me and anyway what about this ...

Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast
ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them
under their feet, and turn again and rend you. Matthew 7:6

y0u certainly w0nt find spiritual (by spiritual i mean biblical and n0t new age interpretation 0f spiritual) guidance from these characters they are of the w0rld

be in the world, but not of the world....john 17:14-15

C

Cazzy_1

well they believe their own hype that they have the control over mh. i wonder why they exist? have they ever cured anyone? have they improved anyone's life?

i really doesn't surprise me and anyway what about this ...

Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast
ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them
under their feet, and turn again and rend you. Matthew 7:6

y0u certainly w0nt find spiritual (by spiritual i mean biblical and n0t new age interpretation 0f spiritual) guidance from these characters they are of the w0rld

be in the world, but not of the world....john 17:14-15
I have not read much of the bible but believe in God. I have strong convictions. Psychiatry did not share my beliefs.

blacksmoke

blacksmoke

yeah well what can i say psychiatry. .."dont even go there with them regarding religion". religion is not readily accepted in a lot of spheres of life. and psychiatry is one of them

for me if in doubt leave it out. go to a church instead. you will not find any help in the secular society that we live in is my experience. the road to hell is paved by well meaning folk and ive been up many many many garden paths.

C

Cazzy_1

yeah well what can i say psychiatry. .."dont even go there with them regarding religion". religion is not readily accepted in a lot of spheres of life. and psychiatry is one of them

for me if in doubt leave it out. go to a church instead. you will not find any help in the secular society that we live in is my experience. the road to hell is paved by well meaning folk and ive been up many many many garden paths.
Well psychiatry are breaching human rights by not valuing, respecting or embracing my beliefs.

D

daydreambeliever39

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Yes, that is discrimination. But then psychiatrists don't respect their patients. They think we are idiots. They have no empathy towards us. So why would they? If a physically ill patient was religious their views would be respected. Discrimination against people with mental health problems is ubiquitous in the mental health profession and society.:hug1:

Kerome

Kerome

I think most psychiatrists try very hard to be seen as 'good medical doctors' by the rest of the profession, and that includes staying well clear of religion. Which is very sad because I think spirituality is key to a lot of mental health problems, I reckon there are many more cases of spiritual crisis than most people think.

But exploring ones religious beliefs can definitely help a lot with mental health. It can redefine how you think about yourself, and with that can come a new freedom.

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Psychiatry ridiculed my religious beliefs breaching my human rights.

Psychiatry have major issues with religious people.
Religion & spirituality is a massive area, Not just concerning Christianity.

There is also a serious question concerning religious & spiritual psychopathology in relation to mental health areas.

C

Cazzy_1

Religion & spirituality is a massive area, Not just concerning Christianity.

There is also a serious question concerning religious & spiritual psychopathology in relation to mental health areas.
Are you playing devil's advocate Hun, just asking?

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Are you playing devil's advocate Hun, just asking?
i'm being logical & rational about it all. Areas of religion, spirituality, philosophy, mythology & everything associated with it all are vast - i've been studying these areas for decades & have only scratched the surface - how is a mental health professional meant to be sensitive to it all? They have No specific training in any of it. & why should they be biased to any one specific religion/belief system? In one week they may be seeing a Wiccan, a Hindu, a Muslim, a Buddhist, someone of a non-religious spiritual persuasion, all of different sects & denominations.

Yes - i'd agree that there should be far more sensitivity & acknowledgement of the spiritual dimensions within psychiatry - But whose spirituality? My idea of the spiritual is very different to a lot of other peoples - & i don't agree with a lot of religion.

There is also the fact the the mentally ill, especially those with more severe illness & psychotic disorders, are often delusional & often have strong religious delusions. i've had religious delusions myself, & a lot of people never resolve it all. Is a psychiatrist meant to collude with it all & encourage it all?

C

Cazzy_1

i'm being logical & rational about it all. Areas of religion, spirituality, philosophy, mythology & everything associated with it all are vast - i've been studying these areas for decades & have only scratched the surface - how is a mental health professional meant to be sensitive to it all? They have No specific training in any of it. & why should they be biased to any one specific religion/belief system? In one week they may be seeing a Wiccan, a Hindu, a Muslim, a Buddhist, someone of a non-religious spiritual persuasion, all of different sects & denominations.

Yes - i'd agree that there should be far more sensitivity & acknowledgement of the spiritual dimensions within psychiatry - But whose spirituality? My idea of the spiritual is very different to a lot of other peoples - & i don't agree with a lot of religion.

There is also the fact the the mentally ill, especially those with more severe illness & psychotic disorders, are often delusional & often have strong religious delusions. i've had religious delusions myself, & a lot of people never resolve it all. Is a psychiatrist meant to collude with it all & encourage it all?
Maybe you are studying too much all at once and it conflicts and causes confusion.

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Maybe you are studying too much all at once and it conflicts and causes confusion.
For you/others maybe - Not for me thanks, i have a clarity on things that i never had before, & genuine learning/getting informed is important for me, although it may Not be/doesn't seem to be for many others.

D

daydreambeliever39

ACCOUNT CLOSED
For you/others maybe - Not for me thanks, i have a clarity on things that i never had before, & genuine learning/getting informed is important for me, although it may Not be/doesn't seem to be for many others.
My ex partner was like that. He wanted to know about it all but look at it objectively from an outsider view, he didn't believe in any religion.

He didn't believe in spiritual activity either.

Just because you are religious and are having a psychotic episode does not mean that your beliefs are influenced by your psychosis. A psychiatrist tends to assume they are, without taking the time to find out otherwise.

I thought that dead people were talking to me when I was psychotic. I also believed that some people could read my mind. I was told that couldn't happen. Telepathy didn't exist. I don't think that no one anywhere could ever read your mind and how someone can say that without looking into it shows that psychiatry has a narrow mind when it comes to that sort of thing. If 'science' hasn't proved it it can't be true.

Even scientists admit there are things they can't explain. A nurse told me once she had a paranormal experience. So it happens to them too. But if that nurse had been a patient and had told a psychiatrist that she would have been considered mentally ill. It's about the power relationship between the patient and the doctor and the nurse and the doctor. A physically ill person probably wouldn't be considered mentally ill either if they were in hospital and had a paranormal experience there. Physically ill patients have more power than the mentally ill. It's disgusting how the mentally ill are discriminated by the people that are supposed to help them. There is no respect for their views or their experiences in life.

There were too many coincidences when it came to the telepathic belief I had and I am sure some people can read minds. It's just a shame that psychiatry is so narrow minded and prejudiced. xx

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
My ex partner was like that. He wanted to know about it all but look at it objectively from an outsider view, he didn't believe in any religion.

He didn't believe in spiritual activity either.
i very much hold to the existence of spiritual realities, but am strictly non-religious.

Just because you are religious and are having a psychotic episode does not mean that your beliefs are influenced by your psychosis. A psychiatrist tends to assume they are, without taking the time to find out otherwise.
i do agree with the rest of your post - psychiatry should shift to have a far more comprehensive understanding & approach, & i think that one day it will do. i do feel that spiritual phenomena are often involved with psychosis/mental health, & the spiritual in a very broad sense needs to be taken into account - But the difficulty is that people are mentally ill, in various ways & to different degrees, & i think that's very hard to get away from.

i had countless delusional content over a 14 year period, through a total of 8 years in severe/florid psychosis, & 7 major episodes/breakdowns -

That i had lost my soul to the devil, uncovered a Global Alien plot - at different times that i was Jesus, the reincarnation of St Paul, the Antichrist, the Devil, the incarnation/manifestation of the Creator of the Universe, an immortal Being existing in multiple simultaneously existing lives throughout history - leader of an underground Light Side Alien resistance, for some 6 months i was convinced that i had died & was in the afterlife - could go on & on with it all - It's all flat out delusional.

Have come across others that are very obviously suffering severely delusional content, however much some of them believe that they're Not.

It takes a lot of care & work to separate out all this 'stuff' & to come to more of a place of genuine sanity. To return to the consensus/everyday World. Many don't.

D

daydreambeliever39

ACCOUNT CLOSED
i very much hold to the existence of spiritual realities, but am strictly non-religious.

Yeah, I knew that. I was talking about my ex. You are a bit different from him in that you believe in some spiritual existence.

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Yeah, I knew that. I was talking about my ex. You are a bit different from him in that you believe in some spiritual existence.
Regardless of what some others think - i have what i consider to be a very well developed & very carefully considered non-religious spiritual cosmology/understanding - as far as i think it's possible to form one. It's an ongoing search/learning & consideration.

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Even scientists admit there are things they can't explain. A nurse told me once she had a paranormal experience. So it happens to them too. But if that nurse had been a patient and had told a psychiatrist that she would have been considered mentally ill. It's about the power relationship between the patient and the doctor and the nurse and the doctor. A physically ill person probably wouldn't be considered mentally ill either if they were in hospital and had a paranormal experience there. Physically ill patients have more power than the mentally ill. It's disgusting how the mentally ill are discriminated by the people that are supposed to help them. There is no respect for their views or their experiences in life.
There's an argument running back to the time of the Ancient Greeks, likely before.

People have argued for the past 400 years & as long as there has been psychiatry, for far more humane/comprehensive understandings & approaches - But i don't think it will happen until there is a major meta-paradigm shift within the culture/society & system itself.

http://www.mentalhealthforum.net/forum/thread129808.html#post1278985

D

daydreambeliever39

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I know a lot of people who seem to have similar experiences to yours, so you can understand why psychiatrists might be biased. But it doesn't excuse it. If spiritual people are more predisposed to psychosis then maybe that does suggest that it is not mental illness but something different. They are more in tune with that side of things so I would be more likely to say that a person who is not is psychotic. I think psychiatry needs to come out of its scientific box and accept that some things are not best diagnosed or treated in the way they do. Once again it's about the power relationship and context. It depends who you are and your relationship to the psychiatrist.

I had a psychologist who said that you believed in anything spiritual you must be mentally ill. He was talking about anyone. The difference is that he wouldn't consider an ordinary spiritual or religious member of the public as needing treatment. If you were sitting opposite him as a client he might. Once they have you in the system they are more likely to see anything like that as mental illness. They may diagnose you as psychotic when what you experience is sometimes very real. I suspect that most people are psychotic in the range of people I have met with it and religious delusions but there are some for whom spiritual experiences in general are genuine. If psychiatrists were better trained they could differentiate but they are not and shut all ideas down, prescribing their strongest antipsychotic. There must be people out there who are being wholly inappropriately dealt with, I know there are, who have more going on than a delusional episode. That does not include those who could be helped in other ways who are psychotic. But I do enough ranting about medication on this forum and am not saying anything new there so I will stop. xx