burt tomato

burt tomato

Forum Guide
Does anyone know how to relax the mind? :BLAH:

I am always overthinking and getting anxious. :sorry:

Is there a trick to having a happy relaxed mind? :scratch:

Purple Chaos

Purple Chaos

I use music a lot. It doesn't always work when the rapid thoughts kick in at full speed but it does help at other times. It also really helps with negative thoughts.

I just totally concentrate on what I'm listening to. If it's classical, I listen for instruments played, timing, different notes and sounds etc. If it's not classical I concentrate more on the words and what's being said.

It's not going to work for everyone but it's worth a try.

L

lovagemuffin

most people would say medititation but because I hear voices I have found 2 things that help yoga on a dvd called vogasize by vimla vilavani and if you go onto you tube just type in relaxation and see what comes up also hypnosis. the deep relaxation really helps me when I get anxious. hope this helps tc

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Agree with suggestions so far - music and meditation.
I also find doing something craftsy or creative (especially drawing/colouring in mandalas) always quietens my mind. I get totally absorbed in what i'm doing and don't really think about anything.

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
The peace that we’re looking for is not peace that crumbles as soon as there is difficulty or chaos. Whether we’re seeking inner peace or global peace or a combination of the two, the way to experience it is to build on the foundation of unconditional openness to all that arises. Peace isn’t an experience free of challenges, free of rough and smooth, it’s an experience that’s expansive enough to include all that arises without feeling threatened.

— Pema Chödrön from Taking the Leap: Freeing Ourselves from Old Habits and Fears

C

Christobel

At a time when I was getting really freaked out with anxiety, I joined a Buddhist group. We had what I suppose was a talk about the Bhuddist faith, followed by meditation, which we were taught how to do, and finally we sang Buddhist songs. I used to sing these while driving home in the dark, and my husband would tell me I was like a new woman when I got home! Although I consider myself to be a Christian, I will always be a Buddhist too.

N

natalie

Hi all,

I was only wondering about this a moment or two a go.

I find that in particular, due to a day at volunteering, although you should have thought that it might have wore me out enough, I often end up "feeling on a slight high", and I find it difficult to relax by the late afternoon/early evening once I am at home again. I know I always swear by music, and normally this does work wonders for me to prevent anxiety, and also my knitting, or cross stitching pieces of work, and get to during or the late evening in time for bed, boy, I just can't settle in bed to relax down properly to have a decent night's sleep. I'll have my lows, just like everyone else with problems, even of mental health, however, if my music routine listening order of pile of cds get interrupted as I say, because I have to happily enough, travel out to volunteering, a long journey mind you, being there volunteering and then to return back, I do find recently at times, it's a difficult job to switch off.

I'm fine, if I'm going through quiet spells of volunteering, I know where I am with my music listening requirements, for all day and during the evening virtually, I do understand and feel sympathetic that at times, which I just said, it's a difficult job to switch off, and relax.

When I'll have a course of volunteering such as data entry work, I always plan to relax - seriously relax listening to music, musicals, on an evening before, then the following morning, and certainly when I can, at volunteering to help me concentrate, and not make too many errors. Then I repeat the process, again, on the 1st evening after 1st day of volunteering, and so forth.

Try having if cost isn't the issue, investing in the idea of massage, back massage, in particular, that can also very much help to keep stresses, and anxiety levels at bay.

As that old expression and I'll add in goes ...resume to play on....

M

Michael

Founding Member
I have to do a mulitude of things dependant on the mood I am in at the time. One that I do a lot is lay down somewhere quiet and imagine I am riding my motorbike on a beautiful curving road, with no traffic and a glorious buttie van waiting for me at the end!
Works every time for me
And if I was riding the bike in your picture it would probably take me up another level!
Michael

N

natalie

I wasn't well today with my sinuses again, I needed to have some piece and quiet & quantility, for this morning and into the afternoon. Anyway, now that I'm feeling much easier, I've resumed happily listening to music, and cross stitching sewing work piece.

Natalie.

N

natalie

I wasn't well today with my sinuses again, I needed to have some piece and quiet & quantility, for this morning and into the afternoon. Anyway, now that I'm feeling much easier, I've resumed happily listening to music, and cross stitching sewing work piece.

Natalie.

N

natalie

Hi all,

I'm much better, sinuses wise groan not again, I'm afraid so, anyway, completely clear now. I have resumed happily listening to music, and having just started a cross stitching work design piece.

I had forgotten that tomorrow is bank holiday, I never do like to miss a day, bank hols wise, of non volunteering contact notifications, should there have been something come up, via my co-ordinators. Still, from Tuesday all will be as usual then. Which reminds me, going to my day centre on Tuesday and Thursday, now to calm the mind, I might just swich into the mode of knitting to help me out in that respect, and listening tomusic. All being well, going to zumba gold, Wednesday morning.

Natalie.

N

natalie

Hi all,

I'm much better, sinuses wise groan not again, I'm afraid so, anyway, completely clear now. I have resumed happily listening to music, and having just started a cross stitching work design piece.

I had forgotten that tomorrow is bank holiday, I never do like to miss a day, bank hols wise, of non volunteering contact notifications, should there have been something come up, via my co-ordinators. Still, from Tuesday all will be as usual then. Which reminds me, going to my day centre on Tuesday and Thursday, now to calm the mind, I might just swich into the mode of knitting to help me out in that respect, and listening tomusic. All being well, going to zumba gold, Wednesday morning.

Natalie.

Kerome

Kerome

Does anyone know how to relax the mind? :BLAH:

I am always overthinking and getting anxious. :sorry:

Is there a trick to having a happy relaxed mind? :scratch:
There are a few things that have helped me. Mindfulness is one, breathing and other exercises can help you get into the habit of staying more in the moment. It takes time to develop though, it's not instant and it can take a number of months or years to bring to fruition.

I find various YouTube videos helpful, like Indian classical music called Raga's, a few Tibetan chants, and binaural beats. When I relax at the end of the day it's often flat on my back with one of the first two, and within 10 minutes I'm totally relaxed and on the edge of sleep.

You could probably apply CBT to this as well, if you are reasonably good at noticing when you are overthinking. If you've ever done a course on CBT you probably know how this goes. Not sure how much success you'd have but might be worth a try.

N

natalie

Hi Brat,

I have forgotten now, whether you do or had done, for me personally, I always find that to happen to have done a hard dance aerobics workout and with some standing toning work, always does very much relax down my mind, even with a workout to start up the day with!

Natalie.

N

natalie

Hi Brat,

I have forgotten now, whether you do or had done, for me personally, I always find that to happen to have done a hard dance aerobics workout and with some standing toning work, always does very much relax down my mind, even with a workout to start up the day with!

Natalie.

burt tomato

burt tomato

Forum Guide
Hi Brat,

Natalie.
Hi Natalie.

I imagine you get great joy and peace from your workouts. I can't really do a hard workout at the minute but in the future I would like to do more exercise. I enjoy hiking and cycling and swimming. Thats it really.

I am in the process of building my bicycle - I started 3 years ago, and it is still not finished. It will be a quite a machine when done. I am inspired by iron man building his suit in prison. :)

N

natalie

Hi all,

Having attended day centre today, and another one of mine, I have been feeling pleasantly tired, not shattered.

Once recovered from the tiredness, I soon switched into my relaxing mode of cross stitching work, and listening to music with the walkman. This - listening to music, really does do wonders for me to help me to shortly after resuming cross stitching work, to then "switch off". Going to zumba gold tomorrow,

then travelling back to my 2 day community centres on Thursday. I'll be shattered by then! Which I don't always like to be well, overtired. Certainly not anxious or paranoia so I'm feeling happier about that.

Natalie.