• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Relaxation

M

matw2

My partner suffers from depression, and I think that to a large extent it is a problem of relaxation (she plays through bad things in her head and finds it incredibly difficult to "let go"). While she is working hard to try to improve her mood, one of her biggest difficulties is sleep, as this is when her mind is most active.

She often is unable to get to sleep, and even when she does it is often troubled. She is generally unrested even after 10 hours. She is 8 months pregnant at the moment, so sleeping tablets (including herbal remedies such as valerian root) are not really appropriate. We have found however that she usually sleeps better when it is raining heavily outside.

I was hoping to find a relaxation mp3 with rain noises to help her, however I have not been able to find one (most seem to charge quite a lot for the track, and several are only sold as CDs with other sounds on them). If anyone has such a track as an mp3, or knows where I can get one (preferably free) please let me know (by reply or pm).

It would be fantastic to be able to help her sleep, and I'm sure that her mood would improve as a result.

Any help would really be appreciated.

Mat

D

Dollit

Mindfulness, which is a form of meditation, has been prescribed for depression, on the NHS, in Swindon. There are free 10 minute podcasts on iTunes. It's simple to do - sometimes I put mine on as I'm doing things and once you get the hang of it you don't even the the guiding voice. It's not a relaxation technique but it can get you relaxed enough for sleep.

S

*Sapphire*

I agree with Dollit, Mindfulness is a core skill being taught in my therapy. It is deemed to help with, Anxiety, Depression, Insomnia, Excessive stress, Disconnection from life purpose, low self esteem, chronic pain, Mental fogginess, low energy, chronic worry, hectic lifestyle and feeling of burnout. I would reccomend she try that.

Unfortunately i do not believe I have a relaxation CD with rain on as the sound of the water makes me want to go to the loo!

However i'm not sure if we can advertise purchasing sites on here, but I can point you towards a site if you PM me that appears to offer a variety of MP3 downloads with rain on for as little as 69p? Of course I can not offer an opinion on them having not used them.

:)

D

Dollit

We don't allow links to external paysites and, unless you've used them personally, it's not wise to make a recommendation. Internet safety!

S

*Sapphire*

Thanks for letting me know Dollit, I thought that was the case! I have used this site before and they are quite well known, but will bear that in mind in future!

:)

A

AbsoluteMS

My partner suffers from depression, and I think that to a large extent it is a problem of relaxation (she plays through bad things in her head and finds it incredibly difficult to "let go"). While she is working hard to try to improve her mood, one of her biggest difficulties is sleep, as this is when her mind is most active.

She often is unable to get to sleep, and even when she does it is often troubled. She is generally unrested even after 10 hours. She is 8 months pregnant at the moment, so sleeping tablets (including herbal remedies such as valerian root) are not really appropriate. We have found however that she usually sleeps better when it is raining heavily outside.

I was hoping to find a relaxation mp3 with rain noises to help her, however I have not been able to find one (most seem to charge quite a lot for the track, and several are only sold as CDs with other sounds on them). If anyone has such a track as an mp3, or knows where I can get one (preferably free) please let me know (by reply or pm).

It would be fantastic to be able to help her sleep, and I'm sure that her mood would improve as a result.

Any help would really be appreciated.

Mat
Yes some kind of relaxation audio would be great, however a personalised audio which you could recieve from one session with a Reputable Hypnotherapist would be far more effective due to the personalisation.

Hope this Helps(y)

Last edited by a moderator:
R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Theres plenty of relaxation cds you could put on a mp3 player, i use meditation as a way to relax, mostly alone now though i have been to various groups, better not recommend my favourites as would sound like pushing religion or commercial enterprises