• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Relatives that are jerks

Faith198

Faith198

I know a lot of people have this problem but how do you deal with this?
I had to hang out with my grandfather the other day and I hardly see him as it is (all my relatives are usually miserable) but he is kind of a rude prick..

idk if I’m allowed to use that word on here 🙊
Basically what happened is I was wearing shorts and he remarked twice (I feel like the second remark was so I hear it) about how pale my legs are and that I need to tan. Keep in mind this man is like 91 I believe. Then he remarked about my driving saying that I need to speed up when one, the speed limit was 20mph and I didn’t have my license on me. I was just test driving a classic car. I did not want to get stopped.

I’m sick of this man. I’m fine being pale, I don’t care or else I wouldn’t wear things that expose my legs. But I’m not just gonna let him insult me. I have to hang around him tomorrow 😐🙄🙄🙄🙄

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
It is probably shit being old and puts you in a bad mood so you say stupid things. Not all people but i have come across many who really have had enough of shit so just say what they want now. Nothing to lose.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
You have to either laugh or smile at him and say something smart back. You could ignore it. Start singing 'i am a great driver' or 'i have amazing legs' just something to stop that comment from carrying on. Maybe deal with it like that in a funny way.

Faith198

Faith198

It is probably shit being old and puts you in a bad mood so you say stupid things. Not all people but i have come across many who really have had enough of shit so just say what they want now. Nothing to lose.
yeah true. Literally he finds anything to insult me about.. even the type of work I’d like to go into. I can take it for a while but I really feel like going off anymore.

Faith198

Faith198

You have to either laugh or smile at him and say something smart back. You could ignore it. Start singing 'i am a great driver' or 'i have amazing legs' just something to stop that comment from carrying on. Maybe deal with it like that in a funny way.
yeah I will try that

CelticTwilight

CelticTwilight

Tanned legs wouldn't help you drive any better, in fact if you got sunburnt this could distract you.

PerpetuallyStuck

PerpetuallyStuck

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Family can be really critical and uncaring. It's like they put importance on everyone else, yet I'm like not good enough or uninteresting. It is so frustrating if there is a gathering and they talk over you, or interrupt and continue a conversation with someone they find more interesting.

Also, when putting effort into doing something....no support, no encouragement.

Faith198

Faith198

Family can be really critical and uncaring. It's like they put importance on everyone else, yet I'm like not good enough or uninteresting. It is so frustrating if there is a gathering and they talk over you, or interrupt and continue a conversation with someone they find more interesting.

Also, when putting effort into doing something....no support, no encouragement.
yes I know exactly what you mean. It’s funny how family is suppose to have your back and be supportive, but they do the complete opposite.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A People 2