• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Relatives and what I would loosely call a friend.

L

Lilac

I know I have written before about my relatives who won't say thank you for birthday cards/presents. I want to know what I can do about it. The two I am thinking of there names get signed by their other halves on birthday/Christmas cards but they never say thank you to me. In fact one uncle even signs a card to me and never says thank you for anything I send. I think they should say they don't want cards/presents if that is their attitude and not to sign my cards. It is the same with the loosely called friend's husband. He always signs my cards but will never say thank you for anything I send. My uncle is the same with my mum, she gave him a present for his birthday and he had a right tantrum and said he could well be dead by the time of his birthday. And yet again he will sign her cards. And I think they don't behave with their friends the same way. My uncle is really hostile to me and he is not a nice man.

As for my loosely called friend. She told me she didn't want to see me at weekends but she sees other friends then. In fact she recently went out for a day with her husband and a friend and she said it was because he suggested it and drove and another friend she says she will see at weekends because her friend can get her on cheap day trips. But then she told me she intended to see another friend this weekend with her husband.

The other thing about this friend is she revealed that she thinks it's insane to go without socks in the summer and she also thinks it's insane for anyone other than her to go to the seaside in the winter.

Again I guess if we don't keep in touch, and I always think she finds it annoying to hear from me, then it will be no loss to me after all why worry about losing a friend who is hostile and doesn't care about you.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Again I guess if we don't keep in touch, and I always think she finds it annoying to hear from me, then it will be no loss to me after all why worry about losing a friend who is hostile and doesn't care about you.
Whilst I can imagine it must be painful to come to this way of thinking, ultimately, you are right.
This person doesn't sound like a very good friend at all. She also sounds pretty unbalanced (and judgemental) herself, to be honest.
You don't need somebody in your life as a friend who is going to make you feel undervalued or as if they're doing you a favour by being your friend.

As far as the thanks for the cards/gifts you send, I think it's quite rude to be honest that they wouldn't show a bit of gratitude. But then people don't always have good manners and take things for granted.
I'd be tempted to stop bothering - but i'm not sure if that's something you'd be prepared to do.
Hopefully someone else might have a more helpful suggestion. x

L

Lilac

I just wanted to post that I received a present through the post from my sock friend and a pen pal is sending me a second Christmas card. xx