• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Relationships

N

Nicola09

I was just wondering if anyone else has this experience. When i'm 'manic' I become very very irritated at the smallest thing, I get annoyed with people and very frustrated, I also become quite angry with everything, and have a tendency to nitpick. It's only afterwards that I realise what an idiot I was. For me however, I have realised that I seem to get MORE angrier with one person in particular when i'm high - when i'm high there is a certain somebody in my life that drives me MAD (ha) - she can't say anything or do anything right for me, everything she does I pick up on and criticise, I get very frustrated with her aswell - when shes talking I end up talknig over her or finishing her sentences, because I just wait to hear her finish her sentences. Has anyone else had this experience here? Is this common? I haven't talked to many other who have bipolar yet - so I don't really know how much of what i'm experiencing is part of Bipolar, or just normal! Hope you all had a merry christmas :) x

J

jamesdean

Fuck me you should of just heard me in currys this morning,I think I was a bit much but bf says not,you dont so much has get a thank you a £329 computer thrown in the carrier bag. N I wasnt even high

jax

jax

Hi Nicola,
I never experienced the irritable side of my bipolar until this past summer. I stopped my lithium though was still on seroquel. I was having awful outbursts - something that I would never normally do. I was staying in a treatment house for 3 weeks before I went into hospital and had outburst after outburst with the staff. The outbursts lasted for about 15-30 seconds. They were filled with bad language, shouting and happened over nothing. Then when it was over, I went to my room in tears as I couldn't believe what had just happened. I felt such shame and guilt. I hope never to experience the irritability side of my Bipolar again.
Jacqui

S

SmileyGirl

Oh blimey this post shouts of familiarality.

I usually do it with the closest people to me, generally because I know subconsciously they will forgive me. It doesn't stop me feeling like a complete bitch though. Thankfully they are getting fewer and further between for me, and I can now recognise when I can feel it arising, which I couldn't do in the past. So I have a few seconds to either get myself out of it, or rant. I hope I chose the former more times than the latter.

It is a battle and not a nice part of me but its another thing to look at in the face and say, right you little git of a part of me - I'm going to overcome you.

Thats my little two pence worth anyway :confused:

B

bluebell24

Hi Nicola,

I've definitely had this and while it was directed at lots of people my husband definitely took the brunt of it. At the time I had no idea it was a symptom so I became convinced it meant our marriage wasn't right which added to the irritation and made it really distressing too.

Since being diagnosed, getting medication and doing lots of finding out about bipolar it is much, much better. I can figure it out and decide whether it's part of feeling ill so I can give myself and him some space and I don't have quite such a short fuse these days.

Of course there are times when it isn't related to bipolar at all, just because I have this doesn't mean people aren't just plain annoying at times ; ) but I deal with it in a far more dignified fashion now!!

Bluebell x

N

Nicola09

Thanks everyone for your replies, I really appreciate. Before I knew anything about Bipolar I thought it was just me and that I was a horrible person. I used to hate myself beause of these moods, and i'm sure the people around me didn't like me aswell. Urgh - Some people are SO llucky to have a stable normal mood. I can't even remember what that feels like, I don't know if i've ever even had a stable mood!

Thanks again everyone - it's good to know i'm not alone! :) x

K

Kat667

Yep, it all sounds familiar.
I've been known to leave restaurants cos I hated the music they were playing. Go into rants at work (lost one job after telling a real pain in the arse who got me on a really bad day to [email protected] off), I was mortified afterwards.
I've also ranted at job centre staff about misleading ads after I didn't even get an interview for a job I really wanted but never even got an interview for.

H

huggybear65

When I am manic I tend to be happy and excitable,but I get irritated by peevish people who keep repeating the obvious.
but generally people can put up with me.
When I am in the depressed zone,Iam very clingy and cry a lot,but very rarely push anyone away..