• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Relationships

A

Angel Feather

I just wanted to ask if anyone had to tell someone they started a relationship with that they had mental health conditions , if so how did you do this and what was their reaction?

Thx

Angel Feather

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
I had this recently and I decided that I had to be honest and upfront. It does not define me but my MH problems are part of me at the moment.

A

Angel Feather

hey

good for you , did they stand by you?

Angel Feather

M

mizunderstood

I told my ex partner after about a week. I felt that she had a right to know and concluded that If she didn't like it she would know where to go. There is no way I could not tell my partner as I would feel dishonest and guilty. I thought that If she liked me as much as she said then the mental health issue shouldn't be a problem. As it turns out she was very acepting. I thought I would have to go through the history of why I was on them but sne didn't even press me for details. She took it as a minor part of me that caused no problems and was completely unphased. In the end though she encouraged me to come off the tablets without really knowing the inpact they had on my life (she hadn't known me that long) which ultimately lead to me going psychotic and back on tablets. Whilst high on Amphetamine (and probably semi-psychotic) She convinced me that I wasn't mentally Ill, I had just invented the illness in my own mind. This seemed plausable and so I believed this for several weeks and was almost in a state of mania in celebration of my tablet free life. Unfortunately the relationship broke down and I ended up semi-psychotic and back on the tablets. If I get in another relationship I would tell the other person from the start and if they stand by you then happy days, if they don't then they are not worth the effort anyway. Being honest with someone from the begining is paramount and like I say, if they don't like it then they are not meant to be with you. People shoud acept people for who they are and where they are, medication or no medication. Its nothing to be embarrassed about and part of us.

AnnN

AnnN

I think that most of the people, when we start relationships, are advising us to stop taking medication. They don't really get the difficult situation in what we are.
I'm not sure if honesty is best choice. I was honest and that never end well. They only see you like ill and weak person. And they started to be manipulative With me.

P

PastelKittenX

Born in Portugal, living in the UK (Norfolk)
I'm in a relationship and his first reaction to when I told him I had psychosis was, "should I be worried?". Not my favourite response, but he didn't know anything about it before he met me. Explained what it was and he then felt fine about it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
JustMe1982 Schizophrenia Forum 10
U Schizophrenia Forum 3