• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

relationships

G

gemma

is it possible whenyou hear voices? having a stable commited relationship seems so difficult, hows it possible when your paranoid about everything and everyone? when the trust levels dont exist so your always suspiscious. and when your experiencing some form of psychosis pretty much most the time and concentrating on another person seems impossible.

yet.....do people manage?

A

Affective

is it possible whenyou hear voices? having a stable commited relationship seems so difficult, hows it possible when your paranoid about everything and everyone? when the trust levels dont exist so your always suspiscious. and when your experiencing some form of psychosis pretty much most the time and concentrating on another person seems impossible.

yet.....do people manage?
When I was in a very Psychotic state, I am unable to have a relationship. When I was medicated and having talking therapy, the voices and delusion were either miminal or not there. So I was able to function were very and have a very good relationship.

I think we all have to keep in mind that the other in the relationship who is aware of your mental health problems should do their best to have paitence and understanding.

G

gemma

but how about the risk of entering a full on psychotic state? cant imagine it working at all, im scared to enter anything for this reason :S

D

diddypinks

ACCOUNT CLOSED
hi gemma its not easy no longer lonely.com is a free dating site for people with mental illnesses and plenty of fish.com is a free one where i found my boyfriend i think if you tell them you have a mental illness and if they dont want to see you again then theyre not worth it anyway so in a way you get to filter out the kind men from the others, i met my boyfriend on plenty of fish.com and weve been together for neasrly 2 years it was difficult at first but i think trust is something that grows when you get to know the person and remebering that other people in relationships are insecure often aswell keeping communication open and let him know how you feel etc can really help. goodluck diddy:)

A

Affective

if you tell them you have a mental illness and if they dont want to see you again then theyre not worth it anyway )
Diddy is right. If they can't accept you for who you are and your illness is a part of you, then they aren't worth the time or bother. There's lots of people who are tolerant and don't believe stereotypes about mental illness.

Star-28

Star-28

my boyfriend does not know I have schizophrenia. He knows I take medication, and asked if I was nuts. I told him yes, and he just smiled and went on doing whatever he was doing.

I once asked him if I were to develop something like schizophrenia if he would leave me. He said no because it would not be my fault and is out of my control. (which is VERY true!!)

We have been dating for 8 months.. I will eventually tell him, but it isn't the right time.

M

maudikie

maudikie

I think anyone wh o has schizophrenia should talk about it - difficult I know, but they will not only help themseelves but help others to unndeerstand. Certainly if there is a long-term relationship in view the other should know, and learn about the condition, as should you have another breakdown they will know best how to help. For yourself think of it just as another illness - you could have had diabetes or M.S. orsome other illness that is going to affect your life. Be brave. If you can accept it it will be a great help.
Take care and take the medicine.:hug:

Star-28

Star-28

i ended up telling my boyfriend and he was very accepting. he said he has known ive been taking meds for something and if it was that big of a deal to him, then he would have said so. Big Relief for me!!!:clap:

C

coraline1664

Star that's brilliant. :) I'm so glad it's comfortably out in the open now, it must be a relief for you.

Liz