relationships and mood swings, advice?

sadsunflower

sadsunflower

i'm sure this is something that's often asked, but i really need some help and advice. i've been dating someone for over a year, and when we first met, i was in a state of normal functioning and wellbeing, but as our relationship has progressed, i have begin to become incredibly depressive and experience terrible exhausting mood swings, which has put a huge strain on my relationship.

i think they're better off without me and that we should just break up, at least until i work on my issues, but they always say they want to stay and be here with me. that's just really hard, knowing that i am draining the life out of them , so it only makes me feel worse.

how do i leave without hurting them? i'm leaving to better them and i just want them to see that -- i love them, but i'm deadweight.

:confused:

Poopy Doll

Poopy Doll

You could do what married couples do; take a time out, a separation for a specified number of months. That way you leave the door open and the person is not devastated with rejection; with breaking up and the finality of that. It is also leaving the door open for you as your judgement of yourself may be too harsh.

O

OCDguy

One way of looking at this would be is the relationship a help to your mental health or not. Your partner is also emotionally involved with you and they know their feelings towards you better than you. You should be taking these considerations on board...

M

missme

By experience, I would not make any life changing decisions at this point. As you may need his/her support. If they want to stick around let them. But it is completely your choice. If you are taking meds, sometimes in my experience even though I took the meds, they made me feel flat and depressed but eventually as my brain healed I got better

O

OCDguy

Well said by misme. If you are suffering with mental health issues, you should certainly not be thinking about making life changing decisions on your own.... I wonder how many of us are guilty of that and have or are suffering the consequences from taking those sort of actions...