• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Relationships and Mental Health

R

RubyAnn

Is it easier for 2 people with mental health illnesses to have a relationship?... rather that being with a 'normal' person....
Or does it just depend on how understanding the other person is about your illness???

:)

RubyAnn

Aahbut

Aahbut

I'm not sure that is the sort of question that has an answer, it's sort of like 'how long is a piece of string' if you follow my drift. I doubt that someone's mental health would or should come in to the equation, you like someone, or you don't. . . . . I think?

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
Is it easier for 2 people with mental health illnesses to have a relationship?... rather that being with a 'normal' person....
Or does it just depend on how understanding the other person is about your illness???

RubyAnn
Any relationship is easy if you work at it so to speak.
As for MH & MH together , IMO i would say if you were both at a positive stage with your illness & togetherness occured , you stand a pretty good chance of making it work through the thick & thin so to speak.

I always say in all thing's like this ............. follow your heart :love:

J

jamesdean

i remember

when i used 2 go 2 the day hospital they were so against relationships n i never really understood y, surely if u can share your life with another person then surely this will help 2 improve your well being i think it is the most sad that a person is not capable of love . Oh my god i was told so much crap when i had my breakdown that my heart was turned up side down n t took me years 2 repair the damage. There is some1 4 every1 in this world n when u meet your soulmate it is the greatiet love u could ever find.:loveshower:

L

Lou17

How do you meet your soul mate if your agoraphobic?:cry:

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Hi Lou,

You never know, this could be a good place to start!

Honey, xx

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I was told that schitsophrenics shouldn't have relationships with schitsoprenics because we'd lean on each other, that was a nurse at Highcroft

I was talking to a MIND counciler about the way women avoid me and he said "Have you ever avoided a women because she's schitsoprenic"

One of the reasons i've been involved with the women upstairs, i'm told she's very ill, she sometimes gets violent, at the moment she's off her DEpixol, i think it's a cry for help as they just leave her and money is tight, i'd help her out but it smacks of prostitution and she refuses anyway

My social worker friend asked if she comes under learning difficultys or mental illness, thats the nub, i'd rather be able to talk to her at a higher level, however she's been nice in a way few women have

Guess all relationships are confusing, i'm not sure whether i'm in a relationship anyway

yakuza

yakuza

Founding Member

RubyAnn
I do believe that any of us suffering with MH issues has a better understanding of how the illness affects others because we experience these things daily,so for two people in a relationship both suffering with MH probs really depends on the extent and severity of the illness and how much the other person may or may not be able to support them.

As quite rightly pointed out above,it also depends on what the stage of recovery may be.

I think the official figures reveal that 1 in 4 people in the UK suffer from MH probs at some stage in their lives so I would assume that there are quite a number of people in a relationship who fit into this category.

J

jamesdean

How do you meet your soul mate if your agoraphobic?:cry:
u never know when u will meet your soulmate, i was 33 but others i have known 2 meet @ school but honey is right u might meet yours here jd

Willow

Willow

RubyAnn
In my own opinion and experience, in the long run, its a no for me.

I had a long term b/f once and once bits of my OCD started to come out, I had to tell him about it although i always refer and still do refer to it as a nervous disorder. As our relationship went on, he learnt to cope with my quirks. I did find however that trust has always been a big big big issue with me and i get jealous very easily. Its the jealously - and usually over the teeniest things - that usually makes me end a relationship 'cos the jealousy with the OCD drives me over the edge and I just can't ... well... live basically. The jealous thought replays over and over and over and whatever im doing thats the only thing I can think of and it drives me crazy.

That relationship ended over 4 years ago now and my OCD has got to the piont where I can't even leave my flat so it looks like spinsterville for me!

Why does "spinster" sound like a twisted old witch yet "batchelor" sounds matcho ?? :rolleyes:

J

jamesdean

because men r matcho n i dont mean 2 sound off but i love being a guy but if i was a woman i wouldnt want 2 b butch i would want 2 b "girlie" strong personality perhaps but look n dress pretty, i could be wrong but y do a lot of wonen these days want b be like men, y not b loved by the man.
though kate moss recently said in a rare interview that men cannot be trusted.
relationships i guess whot works 4 u is best, willow but never say never because we none of us know whots around the corner, i couldnt of even imaged my life now 20 years ago i was in such a mess, my heart was upside down, but its the right way up now though i loose my way temporily, i think i might just b in the right place now:hug:

Willow

Willow

because men r matcho n i dont mean 2 sound off but i love being a guy but if i was a woman i wouldnt want 2 b butch i would want 2 b "girlie" strong personality perhaps but look n dress pretty, i could be wrong but y do a lot of wonen these days want b be like men, y not b loved by the man.
Hey JD, the 'macho' comment was only and purely in jest in relation to the word spinster and batchelor. It wasn't any criticism or slant on men and women. (y)

J

jamesdean

no i guess i was just thinking out loud in my explanation sorry

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
How ca yo have a relationship based on trust and not tell the person your say schitsoprenic, if you tell them the relationship will be unlikely to start.

One answer is to occasionally be rediagnosed by psychiatrists then you can trust the other person with the truth as it is at the time

I'm always negative about the time i was rediagnosed it gave the local council the excuse not to rehouse me when i was been harrassed and i was left to the rediagnosis looked obviously silly, to me that sums up the recovery idea, your alright until the system decides you've recovered and inevitably they'll have it every which way, on the other hand my recovery impressed the women for a while

A

Apotheosis

I think I may be schitsoprenic too - it sure beats having schizophrenia. ;)