• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Relapse - can it be a one time thing?

• Thread starter SomeSwedishGirl
  • Start date
SomeSwedishGirl

SomeSwedishGirl

That’s my question. I haven’t been ”doing anything” for a good few years now, where as it was freaquent before.
Just had a relapse, and feel shitty.
Is it gonna fuck my progress up?

B

bpd2020

I am so sorry you had a relapse. Please be kind to yourself. You have been using this method to deal with your pain for a long time and it is not easy to stop it. Having one relapse does not mean you have not progressed. Look at how long it has been before now. That is major progress. Having a coping method takes time to learn how to undo.

SomeSwedishGirl

SomeSwedishGirl

I am so sorry you had a relapse. Please be kind to yourself. You have been using this method to deal with your pain for a long time and it is not easy to stop it. Having one relapse does not mean you have not progressed. Look at how long it has been before now. That is major progress. Having a coping method takes time to learn how to undo.
I do hope you’re right. Really don’t want to go back to that.

B

bpd2020

I think you wanting to stop shows huge progress. It is when a person does not want to stop that it makes it harder. You are going through so much right now. It is hard dealing with all that.

SomeSwedishGirl

SomeSwedishGirl

I think you wanting to stop shows huge progress. It is when a person does not want to stop that it makes it harder. You are going through so much right now. It is hard dealing with all that.
Yeah, it’s not alot of fun right now. Just wish I didn’t do what I did. Makes me feel a bit like a failure.

B

bpd2020

You are not a failure. You are in pain. Relapsing makes us human. To tell yourself you will never self harm again is not realistic. It is learned behaviour and takes time to learn other methods. You are so hard on yourself. You are a lovely, caring person and I think you need to treat yourself the way you treat others.

SomeSwedishGirl

SomeSwedishGirl

You are not a failure. You are in pain. Relapsing makes us human. To tell yourself you will never self harm again is not realistic. It is learned behaviour and takes time to learn other methods. You are so hard on yourself. You are a lovely, caring person and I think you need to treat yourself the way you treat others.
just hard right now. Feel like I’m stranded on an island, cold and alone.
Thanks for listening and being so supportive. ❤

B

bpd2020

I am really sorry you feel alone. It is hard dealing with such dark thoughts because they do make us feel so lonely. Is there anybody you can open up to? I am glad you are posting on here but I know it is not the same as real life support.

SomeSwedishGirl

SomeSwedishGirl

I am really sorry you feel alone. It is hard dealing with such dark thoughts because they do make us feel so lonely. Is there anybody you can open up to? I am glad you are posting on here but I know it is not the same as real life support.
I do, but I don’t want to really. Out of pride and/or shame I suppose.
#complexperson 😅

B

bpd2020

I know we often feel ashamed of our feelings and thoughts. I can understand that may be stopping you from talking about them. I am sad you feel shame because you have nothing to be ashamed of. You do not choose to be in pain. I am here to listen.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Self Harm Forum 2
F Self Harm Forum 3
P Self Harm Forum 3
E Self Harm Forum 5
A Self Harm Forum 6