Referred for diagnosis - help

C

cocacola487

Hi,

after 7 years of going to different therapies and none of them being successful I have FINALLY been referred to the community mental health team in hope of a diagnosis. Personally, I am almost 100% certain I have boderline personality disorder, I have basically all the symptoms strongly and my life would finally make sense if I get diagnosed with it. My appointment is on thursday (3 days time)

however im worried about the whole process and was wondering if anyone can tell me what actually happens. Im from the UK and will be going for an assessment in South Yorkshire, I am thinking of writing my symptoms down so i dont miss anything out, is this a good idea? I also think I have a lot of symptoms of OCD and some other personality disorders is this possible?

I have been told that you can not be born with a personality disorder, however a lot of my symptoms started for as long as I can remember (e.g not going to school from a young age due to being terrified my parents would abandon me, not sleeping because i thought my parents would leave me or worry my loved ones would die and id be alone) these started from at least the age of 4. I am also told that you can not have borderline personality disorder if you have not had a "traumatic event" happen to you at some point. I wouldn't say my life has been the easiest but I have had no significant traumatic event. I'm unsure if this is possible, but I believe I might have autism and the struggles I have faced all my life because of not even being diagnosed may be the equivalent to a traumatic event and may have triggered BPD? Not that I can compare that to someone who has been abused as a child etc, I'm just trying to make sense of what might of happened myself.

can anyone give me ANY advice, personal experience about getting diagnosed with BPD or if they relate to ANY of this?

thank you so much :LOL:

N

nightmare57

I don't have much to add, only to say it's not uncommon to be diagnosed with ASD as a adult. I was diagnosed with BPD traits for awhile but I now have a good psychiatrist who has determined I have Anxious/ambivalent attachment difficulties..

C

cocacola487

@nightmare57 thank you so much for your reply! i guess im just really really worried that i go and they don't diagnose me with anything I think... Like i say i have had no key event that has happened and I have had a pretty normal life, but i only feel like this is because i am good at pretending to be okay.

i would be certain on ASD, but many doctors have again told me i am "too normal" and would not be able to function as well if i did have it, ive always had friends and had a social life, but again i feel like these are more acted than genuine feelings of fitting in