• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Redefining Mental Illness

SarahD

SarahD

I have read the report by the British Psychological Society on Understanding Psychosis (it is very long). It is brilliant. Anyone who wants a different approach to dealing with psychosis should read it.

Last edited:
F

firemonkee57

The report over focused on positive symptoms to the relative neglect of cognitive and negative symptoms.

S

supergreysmoke

Over use and reliance on heavy meds cause some of the negative symptoms in my experience. Also I've noticed my, shall we say 'eccentric' take on the world, reality and perspectives seem to be more accepted as I've got older - makes me wonder how many of the positive symptoms are merely deviances from a cultural normative shared reality? Not saying illness isn't real, mental distress is the realest thing in the world next to limb amputation, but do doctors know so much to make a diagnosis of serious illness in the absence of anything biologically objective at all?

F

firemonkee57

I think if you have an 'eccentric' take on life but are not distressed,function ok, not a danger to self or others, then psychiatry is not needed.

S

supergreysmoke

I think if you have an 'eccentric' take on life but are not distressed,function ok, not a danger to self or others, then psychiatry is not needed.
Noted. No false positives with a word by mouth diagnosis. I'll mention that to my first shrink next time I get a lift in a time machine.

C

Callalily

I've skimmed the report, and the one on bipolar disorder when they were released. Don't have the concentration to read the full reports at the minute though. There were some people I really respect involved in the psychosis report. Whether any of it trickles down to the majority of psychiatrists remains to be seen but it's nice to see other perspectives being put out there as opposed to, "your brain is fucked, dumb it down with meds!"