• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

recovery plans

C

colin13502

how are your goals for recovery coming along? what are you trying to improve in your life? what have been some stumbling blocks in your path? i think we can all recover to some degree. personally what ive done for recovery is quitting drinking, ive been pretty much symptom free since then. i also signed up for vocational training to be a certified nurses assistant, its only 45 days long so i dont think it will be too bad. my end goal is to get off disability, renew my emt license, and work in emergency medicine. i dont think my illness will stop me but i have a hell of self doubt stemming from my time being psychotic and unable to do a lot of stuff, have any of you dealt with that?

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

It's pretty late/early in the morning so i'm not too capable of writing about my own experiences because of tiredness, but I do want to congratulate you.
It sounds like you've taken some really good steps and put in a lot of hard work in order to recover. Also, I think it's fantastic that you have a clear vision of where you'd like to be in the future. Sometimes, I think actually coming up with a plan is half of the battle.

U

ubolt

Hi Colin

I think the doubt is pretty natural following psychosis, we wonder if we’re still capable of doing the things we did before, if our minds will still operate as they did. I’m sure that working as an EMT could be stressful at times, until recently I worked full time 24/7 as a hospital scientist, which could be stressful during emergencies. This was after my first experience with psychosis. Before that I had spent a year unemployed and on disability. The psychiatrist at the time told me I wouldn’t be able to study again because I wouldn’t be able to concentrate and I believed I had little hope of getting another job because of a not too fantastic employment history in the town I live, and didn’t feel I could ever leave and support myself without a job. I had basically run out of options and I’d never felt more demoralised.

The pressure from that type of job can be beneficial, you may find when you’re in the middle of it, all you have time to think about is the job that you’re doing in that moment because of its nature. The wellbeing of someone else may override your own fears or doubts, because you just won’t be thinking about it. Of course those feelings can return afterwards, but gradually you will build your confidence again. If you’re a little like me you may find you’ll do the same job better because now you have something to prove to yourself, that you are capable. Vocational training will give you a good idea of where you’re up to.

Currently I’m working on a career change into dentistry and I’ve been worried that I won’t be able manage the pressure of studying anymore, but I think it’s just the anticipation that’s the worst part of it. I’m studying a certificate and although it isn’t university level I’m maintaining a HD average which I’m proud of. The original psychiatrist was wrong about me (and wrong about the diagnosis and medication too). I’ve been quite fortunate that it’s right this time and my symptoms disappeared.

I tell myself now that if I could get two degrees in biomedical science when I never went to class and spent most of my time procrastinating and doing stupid and regrettable things like getting high and playing video games, then as a mature age student focusing purely on academic performance there’s no reason why I can’t live up to my potential and follow a new career path. My illness has taught me how important it is for me to be responsible to myself regarding my physical and mental health and emotional wellbeing, something I would have considered a bit of a joke in my early twenties. Healing does take time but don’t underestimate what is recoverable in your life. The brain has incredible plasticity.

Good luck mate!

C

colin13502

thanks for the kind words guys, i would love to hear more about your experiences.

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
my experience has been once diagnosed and becoming a schizo service user employment opportunities are not exactly forthcoming.they even took my drivers license off me.makes it impossible to get to work for most jobs.
ive been looking at self employment.im an aspiring musician.

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
sorry to sound so negative but i wouldnt have thought that anyone with a schizophrenia diagnosis would be able to work in emergency medicine.sorry...

Gajolene

Gajolene

Hi Colin I agree with you that nothing should stop you striving for full recovery. Threw me off when you said "just a little" PTSD and a diagnoses of scitzophrenia, there's nothing little about PTSD and I can see it causing your psychosis with your emt and military background. From your recovery rate and how articulate and clear headed you seem to be, and from the way you write, I never would of guessed a scitzophrenia diagnoses.
I have chronic ptsd myself and sons with scitzophrenia and scitzoaffective. I often rewatch Elyn Saks on youtube for inspiration with recovery. Remarkable what she was able to achieve.

C

colin13502

Hi Colin I agree with you that nothing should stop you striving for full recovery. Threw me off when you said "just a little" PTSD and a diagnoses of scitzophrenia, there's nothing little about PTSD and I can see it causing your psychosis with your emt and military background. From your recovery rate and how articulate and clear headed you seem to be, and from the way you write, I never would of guessed a scitzophrenia diagnoses.
I have chronic ptsd myself and sons with scitzophrenia and scitzoaffective. I often rewatch Elyn Saks on youtube for inspiration with recovery. Remarkable what she was able to achieve.
i'll check it out, thanks. ptsd is very serious, sorry if i made it seem like it isnt, its just that when i was a soldier it seemed like we all had it so if you acted a little jumpy or quiet everybody just figured it was from the war.

C

colin13502

My psych is great, always pushing me to improve my self. im so eager to get back to work, being unemployed is so boring!

Last edited by a moderator:
Gajolene

Gajolene

I wouldn't want my sons on the same forum as me anyway that would be odd for me. They are not interested in forums to help with their recovery they choose to do other things. I post about my concerns with them on my Continuing concerns for JD and JS thread on the scitzophrenia forum here. It's to help me understand them and help them more. It's also to help me cope with being their primary caregiver, just so you understand.

Gajolene

Gajolene

Colin I do hope that you will watch the video I sent. We will try to get back on track with your topic here. I know with you going back into nursing and emt, you will be facing all kinds of really stressfull situations. I wanted at one time to go into nursing and emt. But after a career fair where we went on follow alongs with nurses and emt staff and we toured the burn unit. I knew I wouldn't be able to handle it. I opted for chemistry lab tech after that but life events intervened and I was never able to follow through with it. Is there a specific area you want to go into within the hospital/emt setting?

C

colin13502

We have many really supportive and great people here.
can i delete this thread? most of the posts no longer make sense because over half were deleted.

Gajolene

Gajolene

Don't worry about the deleted posts, it happens sometimes, and most members are very understanding and overlook the deleted posts, we are used to it here. We can post on a new thread if you like. If you want the thread deleted you can pm administrators. Wiseowl is online at the moment. If you want to pm an administrator they're names appear in black lettering in the whose online section at the bottom of the main forum page. I trully hope this hasn't jaded your decision to join. I look forward to seeing your positive posts.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Schizophrenia Forum 7