• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Recovering from mania-entering depression

B

butterflykisses

I am trying to recover from a really bad manic episode and I find myself quickly falling into depression. Any advice for how I can manage to be okay while I wait for my next psychiatrist appt? I feel terrible and I just wish everything was okay

Kotter

Kotter

my daily walks always help.

sunshine and fresh air!

Wishbone

Wishbone

Sorry to hear that BK.
So you're feeling this way, what are you actually doing?

K

keith74

I am trying to recover from a really bad manic episode and I find myself quickly falling into depression. Any advice for how I can manage to be okay while I wait for my next psychiatrist appt? I feel terrible and I just wish everything was okay
Are you on any meds that help with bipolar depression? My wife needed to switch from olanzapine to seroquel when she came out of her manic episode and went into a depression.

Also try CBT therapy, lots of self-soothing, and try to keep active

C

coloredpinkblush

I find there are a few basic functioning factors that can lower my mood if I am not careful. Things I try to keep in measure so that depression is not so consuming. Mind you though I use an antidepressant, Wellbutrine.
Nutrition. Nutrition being the biggest factor for mood for me. Sunshine. Oh the invigoration of sunbeams and sunny illumination just ten fold strengthens my mood. So I try to be easy on myself when it's a cloudy grey day. Just validate the feeling but not dwell. And personal hygiene. It might sound like we do that everyday already. But for me there is a distinct difference between lounge wear and crisp clean clothes. I find the presentation I have if I feel like I look good and am groomed or cared for, then grace oozes from me in the way I carry myself.

One thing not so healthy, but I find stimulants like caffeine in energy drinks to give a positive use in depression to temporarily elevate mood. Mind you though, caffeine has a wide range of efficacy as a stimulant in people, ranging from no response to on edge anxiety and insomnia.

M

Mav2126

I am sorry you feel this way. About 5 years ago I was coming off a hypomanic phase (Bipolar II) and I could feel myself slipping into a major depression. I had just met a beautiful girl and started dating her but I had to cut it off because I didn't want her to see me this way. It is enormously difficult to get off the depression train once you start slipping into it. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND you get an aggressive psychiatrist to literally blast your system with antidepressants and antipsychotics to nip this shit in the bud. Aggressive treatment is needed now that you are starting to slip into a depression

G

Ginger Kitten

I am sorry you feel this way. About 5 years ago I was coming off a hypomanic phase (Bipolar II) and I could feel myself slipping into a major depression. I had just met a beautiful girl and started dating her but I had to cut it off because I didn't want her to see me this way. It is enormously difficult to get off the depression train once you start slipping into it. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND you get an aggressive psychiatrist to literally blast your system with antidepressants and antipsychotics to nip this shit in the bud. Aggressive treatment is needed now that you are starting to slip into a depression
Medication is only part of the story. There are many ways to alleviate depression (and mania, but I won't elaborate here). These include self-soothing, vigorous exercsie, walking, yoga, any kind of distraction you find absorbing, creative pursuits, learning something new, all sorts of behavioural methods from DBT (traditionally given for Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder, but it worked for me because it helped me control bipolar mood swings), biofeedback, mindfulness, meditation, and various kinds of talking therapies including CBT.
Relying on your pdoc pumping you full of meds once your episode has got a grip isn't ideal. Using self-help measures in conjunction with your pdoc's input and increased medication if necessary is a better way to go, in my opinion.

M

Mav2126

Medication is only part of the story. There are many ways to alleviate depression (and mania, but I won't elaborate here). These include self-soothing, vigorous exercsie, walking, yoga, any kind of distraction you find absorbing, creative pursuits, learning something new, all sorts of behavioural methods from DBT (traditionally given for Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder, but it worked for me because it helped me control bipolar mood swings), biofeedback, mindfulness, meditation, and various kinds of talking therapies including CBT.
Relying on your pdoc pumping you full of meds once your episode has got a grip isn't ideal. Using self-help measures in conjunction with your pdoc's input and increased medication if necessary is a better way to go, in my opinion.
I have to politely disagree with you. You can run, jump, meditate, eat and all other sorts of things but once you have a major depression slamming you down - in my opinion - aggressive psychiatric treatment is necessary. I was doing all those things you spoke of and it didn't do much of anything to stop my depression from progressing. I was vigorously exercising, meditating, doing yoga, getting accupuncture, all of it meant shit in stopping my depression.

Kotter

Kotter

I have to politely disagree with you. You can run, jump, meditate, eat and all other sorts of things but once you have a major depression slamming you down - in my opinion - aggressive psychiatric treatment is necessary. I was doing all those things you spoke of and it didn't do much of anything to stop my depression from progressing. I was vigorously exercising, meditating, doing yoga, getting accupuncture, all of it meant shit in stopping my depression.
it might have not stopped the depression, but it may have helped some.

G

Ginger Kitten

Yes, Kotter, that's my belief too. It's also my psychiatrist's belief. There are so many self-help, self-soothing methods available now because even in psychiatry, where medication used to be everything, there is a growing awareness that the patient needs to have some control over their own condition. I know it is hard when a mood episode is taking hold - whether manic or depressive - but if you can recognise your early warning signs, take action to alleviate them AND seek out your pdoc's help and a meds tweak if necessary, then you can avoid a full-blown episode. I'm learning to do this myself.

It sounds as if depression is the mood you struggle most with and it's awful, I know. I do wonder if your pdoc might consider a medication review for you. If it is flooring you every time, maybe your meds need to change slightly. I used to be crippled by depression but that's controlled by a great extent to lithium and Quetiapine. I still get it because I still have the illness, just not as severely. And I do take exercise and meditate when I can feeling it coming on. I struggle more with ups and downs and occasionally with hypomania, rather than depression. So in that sense, you're right, the drugs have helped me. But I have also helped myself in the ways we've both mentioned, and with the help of a care coordinator and my pdoc. A multi-pronged approach works best for me, but clearly medication helps you. It's fine. The road to health is different for everyone. I hope you enjoy the rest of the Easter break, Mav2126.

M

Mav2126

Yes, Kotter, that's my belief too. It's also my psychiatrist's belief. There are so many self-help, self-soothing methods available now because even in psychiatry, where medication used to be everything, there is a growing awareness that the patient needs to have some control over their own condition. I know it is hard when a mood episode is taking hold - whether manic or depressive - but if you can recognise your early warning signs, take action to alleviate them AND seek out your pdoc's help and a meds tweak if necessary, then you can avoid a full-blown episode. I'm learning to do this myself.

It sounds as if depression is the mood you struggle most with and it's awful, I know. I do wonder if your pdoc might consider a medication review for you. If it is flooring you every time, maybe your meds need to change slightly. I used to be crippled by depression but that's controlled by a great extent to lithium and Quetiapine. I still get it because I still have the illness, just not as severely. And I do take exercise and meditate when I can feeling it coming on. I struggle more with ups and downs and occasionally with hypomania, rather than depression. So in that sense, you're right, the drugs have helped me. But I have also helped myself in the ways we've both mentioned, and with the help of a care coordinator and my pdoc. A multi-pronged approach works best for me, but clearly medication helps you. It's fine. The road to health is different for everyone. I hope you enjoy the rest of the Easter break, Mav2126.
May you have a happy and safe Easter to you Ginger Kitten and everyone else! Enjoy the weekend!

K

keith74

Agreed. Once in the grips of a several bipolar mood swing, the impact of wellness/meditation/CBT/DBT is greatly reduced. Only once the mood swing is treated with psychiatric treatment (meds, etc), will those start to help. My wife tried using CBT\DBT when she fell into a deep depression. She didn't find all the DBT group and individual therapy much helpful and she had to cancel them. Now that her depression has subsided to where it is more mild, can she start practicing CBT/DBT with any effectiveness.

G

Ginger Kitten

There's no fixed pattern for dealing with bipolar disorder. I am not right and you guys are not wrong. It is very hard to ward off an episode, but you can occasionally do it if you develop insight into the illness - then you will have a window of opportunity to implement measures (exercise, mindfulness, breathing exercises, etc) to reduce excitability or alleviate depression. I have managed this a couple of times and am trying now. At the same time, once the episode has got a grip, meds are often needed to calm symptoms. So I am advocating both self-help AND medication.

The presentation of this illness is different for different people and can change over time even in the individual, so as people learn to cope with it better, they can gain some mastery over it. It takes time and hard work, but it can happen. And in some people, it can go into remission for years, though granted, that's usually with maintenance meds.

I have been diagnosed 9 years now and have learnt a lot along the way. Sometimes your coping mechanisms are not enough, but you need them to help deal with the vagaries of severe mood swings. Simply relying on medication once you're in the grip of an episode isn't the best idea as the effect of the illness is then much worse and harder to regain stability.

But this is MY view; Keith you seem to be pretty sure that behavioural methods won't help your wife. Try to keep an open mind, I've learnt a lot from websites like this and the experience of others. I'd also advise you and your wife to read round the subject of bipolar - there's a vast amount of info out there that will help. Best wishes, GK.