• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Recovered from depression

I

itsnotme4sure

Is there anyone here who has completely recovered from depression.If yes could you please what you did.

B

Bod

Former member
Hello and welcome to the forum, I have depression and other mental health issues in my life and I will never be fully recovered if you can call it that but I am in far more control of all my mental health state of mind now than I have ever been in my life. It has taken me many many years to go and work through all my issues and come out thinking and knowing that I am in control of the lot.

D

Dazed & Confused

Is there anyone here who has completely recovered from depression.If yes could you please what you did.
Hi itsnotme4sure,

I didn't recover completely. All my symptoms went away for six months and then they came back. Would you still like to hear about it?

D

Dazed & Confused

I'm going to have a shower and then I'm going to watch Twin Peaks. I will come back and reply as soon as I can.

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

I personally think the only way I will recover from depression is if my chronic anxiety goes away, as this has caused my depression.

M

Mistral

I have been off anti-depressants for over 10 years after having severe depression. So severe that I was hospitalised. The fear of becoming severely depressed again is always there. So I cannot say I have fully recovered. However, I certianly think that you can recover from depression.

D

Dazed & Confused

I will tell you what was going on in my life at the time and the things I did.

It was 2017. I had ended a three year relationship and I was feeling good about myself. I was having inner child therapy with a therapist. This was making me feel good about myself too.

I was very strict about my self care routine. The main thing is I exercised for at least 2 hours every day. I rode my bike, I walked my dog, I did strength training at the gym, I went to yoga.

I had a personal trainer at the gym and I was working towards including swimming and Pilates in my routine.

I slept well every night because of all the exercise I did.

I meditated for at least 20 minutes twice a day. I got up at 5am and meditated and then I rode my bike.

I went to bed early every night.

I did affirmations in the mirror for an hour every day (not in one go).

I had a daily gratitude practice.

I drank 3 litres of water a day.

I ate a high protein, complex carbohydrate diet.

I gave up sugar.

I listened to a really motivating audio book called The Fitness Mindset by Brian Keane.

I had no caffeine after 2pm.

I listened to motivational audio books like You Can't Hurt Me by David Goggins before I went to sleep. I read a lot of books by Thich Nhat Hanh and I became interested in Buddhism.

I surrounded myself with positive people.

All of my symptoms went away completely for six months. I felt like I could achieve my dream of being super fit and active.

But then some things happened and I went downhill. The biggest thing was a fallout with my father where he rejected me and it hurt me to the core. I had always thought my father was just critical of me but I realised that he was/is abusive. All of this was a huge shock. I was grieving for the father I never had.

I had an argument with my therapist about my father and I stopped seeing her.

I started having serious problems with my housing agency (I live in government housing). I had always had problems with them but they became much worse. Because of my childhood experience of home, which was very negative, this affected me very deeply.

I had negative experiences with mental health organisations, one after the other, that left me feeling like complete shit about myself.

All these things things brought me down so low. I feel defeated by life and all the negative people in my life. I feel like I can't ever win.

So here I am, at my lowest.

I

itsnotme4sure

I will tell you what was going on in my life at the time and the things I did.

It was 2017. I had ended a three year relationship and I was feeling good about myself. I was having inner child therapy with a therapist. This was making me feel good about myself too.

I was very strict about my self care routine. The main thing is I exercised for at least 2 hours every day. I rode my bike, I walked my dog, I did strength training at the gym, I went to yoga.

I had a personal trainer at the gym and I was working towards including swimming and Pilates in my routine.

I slept well every night because of all the exercise I did.

I meditated for at least 20 minutes twice a day. I got up at 5am and meditated and then I rode my bike.

I went to bed early every night.

I did affirmations in the mirror for an hour every day (not in one go).

I had a daily gratitude practice.

I drank 3 litres of water a day.

I ate a high protein, complex carbohydrate diet.

I gave up sugar.

I listened to a really motivating audio book called The Fitness Mindset by Brian Keane.

I had no caffeine after 2pm.

I listened to motivational audio books like You Can't Hurt Me by David Goggins before I went to sleep. I read a lot of books by Thich Nhat Hanh and I became interested in Buddhism.

I surrounded myself with positive people.

All of my symptoms went away completely for six months. I felt like I could achieve my dream of being super fit and active.

But then some things happened and I went downhill. The biggest thing was a fallout with my father where he rejected me and it hurt me to the core. I had always thought my father was just critical of me but I realised that he was/is abusive. All of this was a huge shock. I was grieving for the father I never had.

I had an argument with my therapist about my father and I stopped seeing her.

I started having serious problems with my housing agency (I live in government housing). I had always had problems with them but they became much worse. Because of my childhood experience of home, which was very negative, this affected me very deeply.

I had negative experiences with mental health organisations, one after the other, that left me feeling like complete shit about myself.

All these things things brought me down so low. I feel defeated by life and all the negative people in my life. I feel like I can't ever win.

So here I am, at my lowest.
Thanks for sharing your story.

I am 26 and have been depressed for more than last 5 years.Due to covid i have been working from home since last year, so i have little to no social interactions.
I have low self esteem, and severely doubt myself in everything i do.
I am not sure if im an introvert or not.I dont make friends that easy and i have serious issues when it comes to trusting people. I don't get too close to anyone due to the trust issues and eventhough i dont mind talking to my friends in person i dont like phone calls and usually dont pick up any calls unless the caller calls again(except for my parents).
I think about how i would change a lot of things from my past if i got a second chance and i dont see any hope for the future.
I am not suicidal but i do think that it would be better if i was dead and all this suffering could be done with all this suffering.I dont think i will act on these thoughts because i know i will really hurt the few people that truly care about me.
I haven't talked about this to anyone eventhough i am mustering courage to go see a therapist.Till then i am going to make some posts as a nameless man in this forum and hope that it helps me to hold on.

D

Dazed & Confused

Thanks for sharing your story.

I am 26 and have been depressed for more than last 5 years.Due to covid i have been working from home since last year, so i have little to no social interactions.
I have low self esteem, and severely doubt myself in everything i do.
I am not sure if im an introvert or not.I dont make friends that easy and i have serious issues when it comes to trusting people. I don't get too close to anyone due to the trust issues and eventhough i dont mind talking to my friends in person i dont like phone calls and usually dont pick up any calls unless the caller calls again(except for my parents).
I think about how i would change a lot of things from my past if i got a second chance and i dont see any hope for the future.
I am not suicidal but i do think that it would be better if i was dead and all this suffering could be done with all this suffering.I dont think i will act on these thoughts because i know i will really hurt the few people that truly care about me.
I haven't talked about this to anyone eventhough i am mustering courage to go see a therapist.Till then i am going to make some posts as a nameless man in this forum and hope that it helps me to hold on.
I'm 50. I have had severe depression since I was at least 14. I also have severe anxiety and post traumatic stress disorder.