Recommend a good therapist West London?

S

Silver669

Hi everyone, just found this forum and this is my first post.

I've been struggling with social anxiety, I guess since my dad decided to regularly call me stupid as young kid, and still feeling the effects of that some 30 years later.

Right now I'm going through a difficult patch with SA and decided to seek a therapist. I've tried to follow self help guides and attended talk groups but it's not really worked. The NHS route has got me nowhere so I've no choice but to go private.

Can anyone recommend a good therapist? I live near the Richmond area of West London.

I've done a quick web search and found plenty of sites that offer SA programmes if money's no obstacle, but unfortunately for me I have to spend my cash wisely.

I'd appreciate any advice. Thank you.

Y

Yodagirl

Hi everyone, just found this forum and this is my first post.

I've been struggling with social anxiety, I guess since my dad decided to regularly call me stupid as young kid, and still feeling the effects of that some 30 years later.

Right now I'm going through a difficult patch with SA and decided to seek a therapist. I've tried to follow self help guides and attended talk groups but it's not really worked. The NHS route has got me nowhere so I've no choice but to go private.

Can anyone recommend a good therapist? I live near the Richmond area of West London.

I've done a quick web search and found plenty of sites that offer SA programmes if money's no obstacle, but unfortunately for me I have to spend my cash wisely.

I'd appreciate any advice. Thank you.
Just wanted to say hello and welcome!

I’m in the USA so can’t help out unfortunately. But always here if you need to talk.

S

Silver669

Thanks Brandi, appreciate that.

Have you ever gone down the therapy route?

Y

Yodagirl

Thanks Brandi, appreciate that.

Have you ever gone down the therapy route?
Yes, I sure have. It’s very beneficial once you find the right therapist,I’ve been through my share of bad therapist though thankfully I’ve got a good one now .

Y

Yodagirl

Is social anxiety the only thing you’re suffering with ? I too have social anxiety as well as Bipolar 1 disorder. Social anxiety can be a real B****

S

Silver669

No, just SA that I'm aware of. My main worry is I end up with crap therapist and waste weeks of sessions before I realise and have to start from scratch. Hey ho

Y

Yodagirl

No, just SA that I'm aware of. My main worry is I end up with crap therapist and waste weeks of sessions before I realise and have to start from scratch. Hey ho
Hopefully you won’t have that experience. 😊

J

johnram

Hi Silver, have a look at some psychotherapy training colleages, they usually offer low cost options, and there are a good few in london.

usually what happens, is you meet a senior therapist, who then decides based on your discussion if you get to see a low cost student, or a low cost newly qualified therapist, but behind the scenes they are heavily supporting and monitoring them

if you can afford more than that, then i would say, contact some therapists generally and have a few phone calls, and go from there - the phone calls are useful for getting a sense of how you both can relate - and some offer discounts on initial meetings

hope that helps

J

johnram

Also, and i found this hard, just ask the therapists for low cost options, many offer it, but its not advertised. i am seeing someone and got £10 off session costs, not a big saving but better than nothing, but i think you can get more

J

Jules5

ask for a sliding scale based on income. Most times just having someone listen to you is empowerment over SA. HUgs

AliceinWonderland

AliceinWonderland

Admin
It's best to look for a therapist through one of the professional associations, two of the main ones are the BACP (British Assocition of Counselling and Therapy) and UKCP (UK Council for Psychotherapy). That way you know the person is properly qualified and supervised, and works according to the professional guidelines.

How to find a therapist

UKCP | UK Council for Psychotherapy

J

johnram

The other thing i would add is, they say the key thing in therapy is the relationship, if someone recommends a "good" therapist, it doesnt mean they are the fit for you

therapy is not like visiting a dentist where one size fits most

S

Silver669

Thanks for your replys and advice. I'm looking at all the options.

I agree with John. I know friends who went to 3 or 4 therapist before finding the right person.

I've been putting this off for years as sometimes I go through an ok period, but I always end up in the same place.

Thanks again

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Social Anxiety Forum 0
M Social Anxiety Forum 2