• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Recently found out I most probably have PTSD: looking for advice

R

RedYeti

I’ve been in therapy for like year and a bit now and my doc thinks I have PTSD. They’re not qualified to help with it so they’ve recommended me to a more experience doctor, I’m now on the waiting list.

When they did all the standard tests/questions and shit it really clicked, it feels like finally found the big problem.

I’ve been doing well for a good number of months now and I’m glad I’m progressing and getting better help. But since finding out it’s put me in a bit of a head spin, I just need a bit of advice on what the next steps are gonna be like.

It’s nice, I found out someone I know who has been through/going through pretty much the exact same thing as me. Even though they’re twice my age it was good talking to them.

lucasso

lucasso

Hi Redyeti,

Sorry to hear you have PTSD, it's not a pleasant experience, but when I was first diagnosed my doctor said to me...trauma is like a physical wound, it bleeds to begin with, but heals over time. While it leaves a scar, time is a great healer and it does get easier. I'm glad you know someone who can relate to you as this in my case significantly helped my recovery. I was blighted by PTSD on and off for over 30/40 years and can say there is a light at the end of the tunnel, even a particularly long one like mine!

May I ask what triggered your PTSD? You don't have to reveal too much but it will be easier to anticipate possible next steps for you. I found it helped me being diagnosed as it answered a lot of questions I had and it put me on the road to recovery as it put me in touch with the right people and support. I hope this is what happens to you.

:grouphug:

milliewillie

milliewillie

I’ve been in therapy for like year and a bit now and my doc thinks I have PTSD. They’re not qualified to help with it so they’ve recommended me to a more experience doctor, I’m now on the waiting list.

When they did all the standard tests/questions and shit it really clicked, it feels like finally found the big problem.

I’ve been doing well for a good number of months now and I’m glad I’m progressing and getting better help. But since finding out it’s put me in a bit of a head spin, I just need a bit of advice on what the next steps are gonna be like.

It’s nice, I found out someone I know who has been through/going through pretty much the exact same thing as me. Even though they’re twice my age it was good talking to them.
Hi! I felt kind of similarly when I got my diagnosis. I think the best next few steps are just to research and talk to your doctor about things you can do to make sure that your PTSD isn't getting in your way.
I mean you've probably heard this before but just getting whatever healthy coping mechanisms you can under your belt, and practice them too!
when I got my diagnosis I was in PHP, so I had a group to talk to about my experience. That helped me a lot. Im glad you have someone like that too!

Also something thats really important is identifying triggers! As well as discussing them with friends/family so they know what they can do or not do to support you.

I wish you the best! I hope you get in with the other doctor soon!

R

RedYeti

Hi Redyeti,

Sorry to hear you have PTSD, it's not a pleasant experience, but when I was first diagnosed my doctor said to me...trauma is like a physical wound, it bleeds to begin with, but heals over time. While it leaves a scar, time is a great healer and it does get easier. I'm glad you know someone who can relate to you as this in my case significantly helped my recovery. I was blighted by PTSD on and off for over 30/40 years and can say there is a light at the end of the tunnel, even a particularly long one like mine!

May I ask what triggered your PTSD? You don't have to reveal too much but it will be easier to anticipate possible next steps for you. I found it helped me being diagnosed as it answered a lot of questions I had and it put me on the road to recovery as it put me in touch with the right people and support. I hope this is what happens to you.

:grouphug:
It’s not like anything has triggered it, it’s been there for years but now there’s just a label been put on it.

milliewillie

milliewillie

It’s not like anything has triggered it, it’s been there for years but now there’s just a label been put on it.
I think Lucasso more meant what it was that caused the trauma. Since its post-traumatic, it can help to know the general 'kind' of trauma that caused the PTSD in the first place.
It may be more than one event but, yeah. Of course you absolutely dont have to share stuff you arent comfortable with.

lucasso

lucasso

I am sorry it's been there for years, something I experienced too before I sought help over a decade ago. As you probably know, generally, PTSD is caused by overwhelming stress whether that is gradual or sudden from many things...could be experienced from cancer, violence, conflict, abuse, relationships, all sorts. It could be worth looking up Complex PTSD as you've suffered from it for a sustained period and also researching what interests you for the next steps. It's often vitally important to be in the driving seat about what kind of support you receive whether that's some form of psychological input, medication, a mixture or simply compassion and understanding from those around you. I hope whatever you find to be right for you, your trauma is healed and I wish you light for your recovery journey.

R

RedYeti

I think Lucasso more meant what it was that caused the trauma. Since its post-traumatic, it can help to know the general 'kind' of trauma that caused the PTSD in the first place.
It may be more than one event but, yeah. Of course you absolutely dont have to share stuff you arent comfortable with.
i was ill quite a lot as a kid from various things. When I was 16-17 I had a couple major operations and nearly died a couple times. It’s a good few years later now but I never really took time to process it

R

RedYeti

I am sorry it's been there for years, something I experienced too before I sought help over a decade ago. As you probably know, generally, PTSD is caused by overwhelming stress whether that is gradual or sudden from many things...could be experienced from cancer, violence, conflict, abuse, relationships, all sorts. It could be worth looking up Complex PTSD as you've suffered from it for a sustained period and also researching what interests you for the next steps. It's often vitally important to be in the driving seat about what kind of support you receive whether that's some form of psychological input, medication, a mixture or simply compassion and understanding from those around you. I hope whatever you find to be right for you, your trauma is healed and I wish you light for your recovery journey.
cheers mate, appreciate the words

lucasso

lucasso

i was ill quite a lot as a kid from various things. When I was 16-17 I had a couple major operations and nearly died a couple times. It’s a good few years later now but I never really took time to process it
Sorry to hear you had major major operations so early in your life and glad you pulled through what must have been an exceptionally stressful period. You are right, now you have some distance your mind is ready to process it and gain some perspective of it. You have been through an immense rollercoaster at such a young age. It's a lot to process but you will be alright as you have also immense resilience to come through. I admire your strength and you should be incredibly proud you've come this far.

M

mad jack mcmadd

little surprised it took soo long for diagnosis but now you can deal with it.dr or psychiatrist ? i've had complex ptsd for nearly 20yrs so hopefully can pass on some advice also have depression,gad etc personally hate being labelled and try not to stigmatise myself.wot locasso said is something to remember 'wound that heals over time''.nhs under strain right now;might have to wait for appointment,if you need to ask for emergency appointment ( something i wish i'd done a few times ).another problem i have with psychiatry is every thing is at such a slow pace in this country ie. 3/6 month appointments not monthly.in time you may be referred to psychologist but will be advised to do cog/beh therapy in meantime. i was nearly 30 before i had problems and it seemed and still seems psychiatry is a strange world.try get as much social support from friends/family as you can;supportive people are great help.educate yourself about ptsd.avoid drink/drugs.sure you'll find support on forum.we all have good/bad days cos ptsd.exercise is really good to take mind of it and increase endorphins. take care,stay strong.