• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Recently Diagnosed with BPD - Advice?

R

readytostart

Hi,

I've recently been diagnosed with BPD. I had a bit of a manic episoide which was a culmination of stress over a long period of time and then this was followed by a severe low - having to take antipsychotic medications and deal with all the reprecussions etc. Only recently, the doctor said I was "high" again but I would argue I was upset. I was on 100MG Sertraline and these were suddenly taken away from me. I was admitted to hospital for the third time which was quite traumatic experience. I'm currently on 600 MG Epilem and increasing and 20mg Abilify (Aripripozole). I've put on roughly 10 pounds since being hospitalised. Part of me just wants to give up the meds and try go clean. I am unsure about my diagnosis. Ive been non stop staying in bed lately because my social anxiety is huge too and I am depressed being on all the meds. Should it get better as the Epilem is increased? Any other advice? My family have basically said I have to take the medication and I feel a bit trapped because of that. On the other hand, I don't want to end up hospitalised again either.

P

Pear

Readytostart it might be a good idea to take the meds for now and put off any big decisions. Wait to get stable. You want to stay out of the hospital. I’ve been bipolar for 17 years with 6 manic episodes or hospitalizations in total. It is very traumatic going through hospitalization not to mention the manic episode which is frightening too. Take care

U

Until

I think you should talk to a doctor about starting to reduce your medications gradually, maybe you could research online your symptoms, or try and get another diagnosis to be sure of what they have said, but hard to get a diagnosis when on a lot of medication I would guess.