Recently diagnosed with bipolar 2

Jess96

Jess96

10 years I’ve been dealing with this black cloud in and out my life depressed weeks months, then highs for a short period I love the feeling of being high everything seams so much more colourful is it wrong for me to say that... but then I crash....

I’m not sure how to feel about being diagnosed with bipolar it’s label people are scared of ... even my mother in law when I told her of my diagnosis said that’s not good that’s proper crazy people syndrome.

B

Bosslash123

I know exactly how you feel. I own my diagnoses now. I think of myself as being unique. I see things in a different light. That is what I embrace.

Cpt_Stunning

Cpt_Stunning

sorry to read that, it must be distressing, you're not crazy, I have anxiety disorder, & it is scary, I had a good read on the net, a lot of it is down to immense positive thinking, you know consciously that it isn't right, about breathing techniques too, to clear your mind of these dark thoughts.

B

Bosslash123

You don't have to label yourself. There is such a grey area in the definition of a diagnosis. I can tell you, I have been diagnosed with bipolar, schizophrenia, borderline personality disorder, anxiety and depression. It is basically what ever lever your doctor wants to push. You are you. Your doctor's diagnosis means nothing. He or she is just an interpreter of your symptoms not your definer. Ok so be it...and what? You are who you are...unique

B

Bosslash123

How long have you known you are bipolar? Not labeled as being bipolar but knew something was a bit different from the others. Honestly, can you remember when? I remember in high school, a little more than 20 years ago. Back then people didn't diagnose like they do now. It was about 10 years ago I was diagnosed. It didn't change me. What it did do was change my route. It has has been a path I would not wish on anyone. I maybe doing good today but tomorrow it could all be gone. But one thing I don't is have it define me.

One of the long term side affects of my Lithium is an ability to have cognitive recollection. What that means is I search for my words when I am talking. My daughter says spit it out mom. You can visually see me struggling to find my words. I consider myself of having a good intellectual ability yet the other day I couldn't remember the name of the container that holds water....AKA water bottle. But that's me. If I have to search through a Rolodex (if your old enough to remember) so be it. My stability is more important than their comments. Why? Cause my family depends on me to be stable. My kids need their breakfast and lunches packed. So I don't really care what people think.

Please understand you will do through the darkest of times but there is a light at the end of the tunnel...as cliche as it sounds, you get that sh*t under control and you got this.