• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Recently diagnosed bipolar - help!!!

Kos

Kos

Hi, I was diagnosed with depression 11 years ago when I was 16, recently I have been diagnosed bipolar. I am currently going through a manic phase, and I would really like to hear other peoples experiences of bipolar in particular mania.

I am on 20mg fluoxetine and 400mg of seroquel.

Spaceman

Spaceman

Hi Kos

I am currently undergoing assessment for Bi Polar. I too have suffered with ups and downs in my life, sometimes i could walk in front of a bus and the next day I am invincible and everything is okay. Is that how it is for you? I seem to be holding things together and function reseanably normally, my family and colleagues think i am a bit strange, but i have always been like that so they are used to me. How is things for you at the moment?

Kos

Kos

Hi Spaceman,

With me it's been a lot longer periods. I've been going through this period of mania for about 4 months, although I only got the seroquel a couple of weeks ago. I've been really hyperactive, thinking I'm brilliant, and that I have such a bright future ahead of me. Been dressing procatively to work, flirting with all sorts of guys for attention, taking cocaine, constantly buying new clothes to make myself look good and worrying about paying for them later. I've also been changing the way I look, went from blonde to red, started wearing outrageous make up. It's like all the things I would like to do but never had the courage have came to the surface all at once.

I was going about my work thinking I was so much more intelligent than everyone else, and how it was just a matter of time till I was headhunted for some amazing job.

With the seroquel I'm thinking a bit more pragmatically, but I'm still acting out of character and don't really know how to handle it? What can I do????

xx

A

Affective

With the seroquel I'm thinking a bit more pragmatically, but I'm still acting out of character and don't really know how to handle it? What can I do????

xx
Just give it time, antipsychotics take weeks to work or maybe you could be put on a mood stabilizer too, if your not already on one.

Spaceman

Spaceman

I have to agree with Affective, my knowledge is that they take time to be effective. You seem to be starting to think more clearly which seems to indicate that the meds are taking affect - this indicates a positive move. I find that if I try to be mndful of what is going on, as best as I can, then I can be more rational. Talking to someone also helps me, good luck I wish you the best

Lozzi_1004

Lozzi_1004

Hi Kos,
Give the meds time to work, it needs time to build up in your system and finally begin to take effect. I'm on lithium and it took a good 3-4 months before my moods settled down enough and that included a dosage change!!

If you're finally starting to think a little more rationally then the seroquel might be taking effect - maybe speaking to your pdoc again would be worth it and they can tweak the dose??

Have you got anyone you're close to? Speaking to them and maybe speaking to your bank to stop any excessive spending? I know a few people who've asked their bank to monitor their accounts.

:hug::hug:

S

skyblue

What I don't understand is why your PDoc has prescribed you Fluoxetine when you're going through mania. Surely an anti-d llike this will send your mania through the roof. I don't get it :unsure:.

Kos

Kos

I was on 60mg of fluoxetine for two years, when I was re-diagnosed and prescribed seroquel I was cut down to 20mg of fluoxetine daily as the doc did not want to withdraw the fluoxetine immediatley due to discontinuation symptoms as i was previously on such a high dose.

Lozzi_1004

Lozzi_1004

It's only some antidepressants which can induce mania - the SSRI's. Is fluxeotine an SSRI? The only one I know is citalopram!

:hug:

Kos

Kos

He's just trying to ween me off, but I'm really frightened of becoming depressed AGAIN!

S

skyblue

There are afew drugs that work as an Anti-depressant that are prescribed for Bipolar, Seroquel is one of them. :)

T

TOONAFISH

hiya, altho i have never been diagnosed, i was manic for the first time last year. they took me off my anti d overnite and i came down like a ton of bricks. they put me on lamotrigine which seems to be working for the depression and still havnt had any manic symptoms again.

hope your doing ok. x:)