• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Recently Diagnosed as Bipolar

B

Bradders

Hi all,

I've recentley been diagnosed as Rapid Cycling Bipolar Type 2. I have had the issues since i can remember, as a child i was branded as ADHD as i would constantly have crazy idea's be very hyperactive and need little sleep.

As i started to mature i started cycling between hyper and depressed, the doctor i spoke to seems to think like i do i have had the issue since a very young age but were miss diagnosed.

I am currently taking Qeutiapine, i am currently on day three but have moved my dose to night time as taking them in the morning i go to sleep within an hour of taking and sleep for 8hours at a time. Now that i take the whole dose at night i have a good nights sleep appart from being resetless and cant stop moving for an hour or so before falling to sleep.

I am slightly concerned as i have never heard voices but since the medication sometimes i can hear voices, it sounds as if someone has plugged headphones into a stereo and left the volume on loud and you can just here the whispering noise from the headphones.

I have no idea what is being said etc just the whispering sound.

I am currently claiming ESA as it has replaced incapacity benefit. I provide doctors notes every month.

I live with my parents at present but i was wondering what else i may be entitled to as at present I am getting £65 a week and coming from a past of jobs this just isnt enough to live on.

I am worried now as i have been with my girlfriend for nearly 2years and we are at the age where children pop up in conversations from time to time and i am terrified that i will pass the disorder onto my children as that is how i have developed mine.

Sorry if i've rambled on but its another feature of my Bipolar lol, i just cant stop talking.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

jax

jax

I get incapacity, income support and DLA.

Seroquel (Quetipine) was very sedating for me when I first went on it. I could barely function.

Welcome to the forum. x

B

Bradders

I get incapacity, income support and DLA.

Seroquel (Quetipine) was very sedating for me when I first went on it. I could barely function.

Welcome to the forum. x
I'm finding the same, i've been told it will pass but its one of those things :(

I'll have to find out about DLA but i'm told the ESA that i'm on has taken over from Incapacity. I dont know who to talk to about this, i've tried my local CAB but they dont want to know.

S

shell

I was told my my nurse to contact job center plus for the forms.I have only been diagnosed about 8 weeks and am on seroquel I found it really sedating so take my dose at night as well .

T

TOONAFISH

:welcome:

Hi how are you??? I had quitiapine too at one point and i was like a zombie. they couldnt wake me at all.

speak soon x

S

suzi b

Hi all,

I've recentley been diagnosed as Rapid Cycling Bipolar Type 2. I have had the issues since i can remember, as a child i was branded as ADHD as i would constantly have crazy idea's be very hyperactive and need little sleep.

As i started to mature i started cycling between hyper and depressed, the doctor i spoke to seems to think like i do i have had the issue since a very young age but were miss diagnosed.

I am currently taking Qeutiapine, i am currently on day three but have moved my dose to night time as taking them in the morning i go to sleep within an hour of taking and sleep for 8hours at a time. Now that i take the whole dose at night i have a good nights sleep appart from being resetless and cant stop moving for an hour or so before falling to sleep.

I am slightly concerned as i have never heard voices but since the medication sometimes i can hear voices, it sounds as if someone has plugged headphones into a stereo and left the volume on loud and you can just here the whispering noise from the headphones.

I have no idea what is being said etc just the whispering sound.

I am currently claiming ESA as it has replaced incapacity benefit. I provide doctors notes every month.

I live with my parents at present but i was wondering what else i may be entitled to as at present I am getting £65 a week and coming from a past of jobs this just isnt enough to live on.

I am worried now as i have been with my girlfriend for nearly 2years and we are at the age where children pop up in conversations from time to time and i am terrified that i will pass the disorder onto my children as that is how i have developed mine.

Sorry if i've rambled on but its another feature of my Bipolar lol, i just cant stop talking.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
you have to give all medication a chance, once you are settled on a med that suits u, u will see a big difference in you life, you should apply for dla, when your med,s have settled in your system ther is no reason you cannot live a normal life with your partner, the biggest hurdle i got through was getting an answer for why i had so many mood changes, being diagnoised is first step :)

S

suzi b

you have to give all medication a chance, once you are settled on a med that suits u, u will see a big difference in you life, you should apply for dla, when your med,s have settled in your system ther is no reason you cannot live a normal life with your partner, the biggest hurdle i got through was getting an answer for why i had so many mood changes, being diagnoised is first step

:) chin up

B

Bradders

:welcome:

Hi how are you??? I had quitiapine too at one point and i was like a zombie. they couldnt wake me at all.

speak soon x
I'm fine now i know whats up :), As each day goes the restlessness and sedation seem to get easier to deal with and less and less but new side effects are rising. But i suppose they are mind altering drugs so they will take time to settle.

you have to give all medication a chance, once you are settled on a med that suits u, u will see a big difference in you life, you should apply for dla, when your med,s have settled in your system ther is no reason you cannot live a normal life with your partner, the biggest hurdle i got through was getting an answer for why i had so many mood changes, being diagnoised is first step

:) chin up
I'm starting to see a difference even after a few days, to put it bluntly i'm being less and less of a C&*T with people. I'm arguing less and less with the ones i love. I've just been for a medical with the JCentre for my ESA claim and they have advised DLA and getting my psych to fill it in for me as i find forms very hard and its one of those things that set me off on a downward spiral :S.

Thank you so much for the comments and welcomes by the way :D

C

Charlie123

I'm fine now i know whats up :), As each day goes the restlessness and sedation seem to get easier to deal with and less and less but new side effects are rising. But i suppose they are mind altering drugs so they will take time to settle.

I'm starting to see a difference even after a few days, to put it bluntly i'm being less and less of a C&*T with people. I'm arguing less and less with the ones i love. I've just been for a medical with the JCentre for my ESA claim and they have advised DLA and getting my psych to fill it in for me as i find forms very hard and its one of those things that set me off on a downward spiral :S.

Thank you so much for the comments and welcomes by the way :D

An sure your not a c&nt Bradders! Where you from dude?

B

Bradders

An sure your not a c&nt Bradders! Where you from dude?
I've lost a lot of friends because of my illness and the way i was before i was doagnosed :S so i guess i must have been at some point. I'm from Birmingham mate

T

TOONAFISH

Bradders, it is the illness tho, im sure your a good bloke. i have def been a c*nt to my husband. getting there tho.
xx

B

Bradders

Bradders, it is the illness tho, im sure your a good bloke. i have def been a c*nt to my husband. getting there tho.
xx
Well once i'm back to normal or getting there i'm going to explain my illness to them, its up to them what they do then. If i knew i was Bipolar and chose not to tell them then i deserve to lose them but seen as i was totally unaware what it was they should see sense....Hopefully lol