Recently diagnosed; apprehensive about meds

D

damnmouse

Hey, I was diagnosed with bipolar II two days ago. I'm admittedly having trouble accepting I have this. To me, it feels like I have ADHD with intermittent depressive spells. But none the less, here I am, diagnosed with bipolar during a 25 minute skype conversation with someone I never met, given meds I didn't think I had asked for. I'm super anxious about going on medication for this. I wasn't planning on doing that. I'm afraid they'll make me gain 100 pounds and make it impossible to enjoy sex, all the while eliminate the energy I appreciate having.

Is anyone here familiar with Abilify? What's that like as a mood stablizer for you? should I just vanish from the lives of my therapists? How do I wrap my mind around a new diagnosis like this? How do I get a second opinion? I have no idea who to even ask these questions to.

Chopsy

Chopsy

Hey, I was diagnosed with bipolar II two days ago. I'm admittedly having trouble accepting I have this. To me, it feels like I have ADHD with intermittent depressive spells. But none the less, here I am, diagnosed with bipolar during a 25 minute skype conversation with someone I never met, given meds I didn't think I had asked for. I'm super anxious about going on medication for this. I wasn't planning on doing that. I'm afraid they'll make me gain 100 pounds and make it impossible to enjoy sex, all the while eliminate the energy I appreciate having.

Is anyone here familiar with Abilify? What's that like as a mood stablizer for you? should I just vanish from the lives of my therapists? How do I wrap my mind around a new diagnosis like this? How do I get a second opinion? I have no idea who to even ask these questions to.
Hi Damnmouse,

i tried Abilify for 1 day [to appease my doctors] it gave me waves of nausea & and an internal on edge anxiety, like a constant inner energy tremble or buzz, uncomfortable & made it impossible for me to rest / settle or get comfortable.

i was always super anxious about having to take conventional medication & avoided doing so at all costs. [in the early days i had quite a few horrendeous experiences / side effects from using the conventional meds.]

Conventional meds. are an option to help / manage otherwise 'un-managable' symptoms / experiences.

Perhaps you would fare better, looking into alternative methods / ways of dealing with your diagnosis / symptoms / experiences.

As for getting a second opinion, isn't that the act of getting in touch with a different practitioner and asking them for an assessment, diagnosis & the treatment options that they have available.

:hug1:

S

Snirexx

Hey I only got diagnosed with bipolar 2 last year but was in need of medication. I'm on 150mg of quetiapine(or Seroquel) extended release.
I started at 50mg xr and gradually went up over the last 6 months as needed. When I was at 200mg I felt sooo sedated like I looked on drugs so my mental health team have decided to keep me on 150 and I just have to manage my symptoms. I really like this as a mood stabilizer and I'm not experiencing much side effects. I was on wrong meds for years so I know all about side effects..
If you feel you are doing ok then I agree,no need to jump on to medication. In my case I was miserable and was going from hypomanic to very sad in fairly short time spans.
Also,do you not see someone in person? Why were you diagnosed over Skype or have I got it wrong (sorry if I do) .
Hope your having a good day

D

damnmouse

I was diagnosed over Skype because winter weather conditions prevented the physician from seeing me in person. You make a point this might be something I can manage without medication. There are some things I wanted to work on when I went there- my ability to focus at work, organizational skills. I was waking up a lot at night which is likely connected with PTSD. I’ve felt like my mood hasn’t been bothering me as much as those other things.

S

Snirexx

I was diagnosed over Skype because winter weather conditions prevented the physician from seeing me in person. You make a point this might be something I can manage without medication. There are some things I wanted to work on when I went there- my ability to focus at work, organizational skills. I was waking up a lot at night which is likely connected with PTSD. I’ve felt like my mood hasn’t been bothering me as much as those other things.
You sound like you've answered your own question there.. why don't you book an appointment to see them again soon and go through your concerns about work etc and see what they say? I think medication is needed most of the time but maybe your ok for the moment without.
Sleep is a big factor and really makes a difference doesn't it. I need my meds otherwise I have insomnia. Do you think if you addressed the issues around your PTSD you could be ok sleeping or would you need a sleep aid? Lots to think about I guess

T

Tabby120

As far as wrapping your head around this diagnosis, learn as much as you can so you can advocate for yourself better. Peer support is also needed, to know what people with this illness can face, not just in terms of being ill, but also health care options, employment rights, housing, and even in living healthy. Emotionally, just take it a day at a time. Looking forward to "forever" just makes it seem so overwhelming, so just look at "today" and learn how to live with the awareness that you face a something seemingly insurmountable. Eventually seemingly insurmountable turns into challenging daily chores needed to keep symptoms in remission.

When making a decision about whether or not to continue with medical intervention, think of those around you. People who love you, friends, even strangers whose paths will cross yours. Will you discontinuing treatment blow up their lives and put them through hell? If not, then you face an easy decision, but if so, you've a lot to think about.