Recent hospitalization, now back to college...

A

Anxietycollege23

I've been dealing with social and general anxiety for many years, and last week I had a panic attack so bad, that I tried to commit suicide. After being taken to the hospital, I stayed for a few days in a behavioral facility.
Changed up my medications a bit and starting DNT with a new counselor very soon.
But I'm back in my classes again. Tonight, I was creating a PowerPoint to present tomorrow. Another anxiety attack. I just don't think I can give a 30 minute presentation right now. Should I email my professor and tell him what's been going on? He knows I was in the hospital but does not know any details. I'd be willing to do a voice-over of the presentation and send it to him, or even write a paper in its place. I cannot fail this class. I don't know what to do. 😢

I was reading another forum, and someone said if they were a profesdor, they wouldn't allow this and that I just need to suck it up. It's stuff like that that makes me wants to die. I'm a senior, I'm so close. 😓

Cazcat

Cazcat

I would definately speak to the professor about this to see what can be done. It sounds like you are not currently well enough to be making the presentation, I think that you are doing incredibly well to be back in classes so soon. They may be able to postpone the presentation on medical grounds or find an alternative route around it for you. I was given extensions on projects at university and my Dr wrote a letter to the exam board asking them to take my mental health into consideration when grading my papers from that time. It's definately worth asking about.

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

Forum Guide
hi ,i can on,y advise on what i would do and if it were me i wouldn't do the presentation
you have recently tried to end your precious life and that is very serious

you don't need to go into details with the professor if you prefer not to

maybe see what advise others give? what do you loved ones say?

welcome to the forum
love Fairy Lu x

H

Helena1

Forum Safety Team
defiantly email him. I am sure loads of people have similar issues so it will not be new to the professor.

mischief

mischief

Admin
I would endorse the comments about emailing your professor. From what you describe you have a long term impairment and you're eligible for accommodations under the relevant disability equality legislation.

Also if there is service for disability support at your university/college I would contact them to see what support they can offer you.