• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Recent Diagnosis

S

stardust89x

Hey everyone, I recently was diagnosed with bipolar & I’m really questioning everything. This was my first appointment with a psychiatrist, I thought I was getting in for talk therapy so was a little confused...

Basically, he just asked me a series of questions then advised I show signs of bipolar 2. I’ve had depression and severe anxiety since I was a kid and the depression occasionally subsides for a period of a few days to a few weeks (anxiety never goes away lol).

When the depression subsides I have an elevated mood and high self-esteem, which were the characteristics the psychiatrist said indicated I have bipolar. During these times I made a lot of impulse decisions such as scheduling vacations (which I always end up cancelling and losing my deposit), or making big unnecessary purchases (juicer, treadmill, new car, clothes)... I’ve never gotten into legal trouble or struggled with addiction during these times, but I used to smoke weed. In the past I’ve also done things like cheated on my boyfriend (ex), gone to parties, made a lot of new friends, and lost some friendships as well. But it all seemed to me like “normal person” behavior as it is the only thing I know outside of my depression.

I was prescribed ZyPrexa and my mom and fiancé both think the psychiatrist is crazy for diagnosing and prescribing me meds and they both think I shouldn’t take them. My fiancé said he’s known people with bipolar and I’m nothing like them.

My mom went on to say how my cycles are symptoms of anxiety and depression and that she’s gone through similar things but they’re not bipolar, just other responses to trauma etc. Then I remember times where she had gone through what seemed to me like manic/depressive episodes, mostly depressive but would go through phases where she’d get into gambling, or start take impulsive trips in which she makes friends and hugs strangers during a pandemic...

Sorry for the long post, I guess I’m just really torn between relating to what the psychiatrist described and listening to what my mom and fiancé are telling me. Has anyone had any similar symptoms/experiences?

B

Blue Opal

Hello and welcome to the forum.
To me, what you describe does sound like bipolar 2, but it could have been brought on by the weed that you smoked. Did you do that a lot and do you still smoke weed?

What does your anxiety look/feel like?
What is your current mood?

Zyprexa wouldn't be my first choice of medication in your case, it is an antipsychotic that can be used as a quick anti-manic tool but is generally not used as a maintenance treatment, especially not for bipolar 2. So unless you are manic right now, I would suggest you talk to your psychiatrist again for other options. Better options in my opinion are lamotrigine if you have mainly depressive symptoms, lithium (treats both mania and depression), or an intermediate dose of quetiapine (150-300 mg). If you have psychotic symptoms as well many other atypical antipsychotics are also an option (many people on here like abilify). Valproate could be useful too but it is more antimanic (and works fast, too) than antidepressant.

Hope this helps, take care!

S

stardust89x

Hello and welcome to the forum.
To me, what you describe does sound like bipolar 2, but it could have been brought on by the weed that you smoked. Did you do that a lot and do you still smoke weed?

What does your anxiety look/feel like?
What is your current mood?

Zyprexa wouldn't be my first choice of medication in your case, it is an antipsychotic that can be used as a quick anti-manic tool but is generally not used as a maintenance treatment, especially not for bipolar 2. So unless you are manic right now, I would suggest you talk to your psychiatrist again for other options. Better options in my opinion are lamotrigine if you have mainly depressive symptoms, lithium (treats both mania and depression), or an intermediate dose of quetiapine (150-300 mg). If you have psychotic symptoms as well many other atypical antipsychotics are also an option (many people on here like abilify). Valproate could be useful too but it is more antimanic (and works fast, too) than antidepressant.

Hope this helps, take care!
Hi, thanks for your response! I smoked weed daily for about seven years, not large amounts at one time just a but throughout the day. I quit about a month ago as it started giving me panic attacks for the last couple of years and they’re just getting worse as time goes on.

I don’t know how to really describe the anxiety, just nervous 24/7. It gets worse when I have to interact with people (going to grocery store, even sending emails or replying to texts). It’s also really bad when I’m driving in an unfamiliar area- so bad I panic and can’t drive, I’ve done things like run red lights and hit curbs out of anxiety. I do have physiological symptoms like butterflies in the stomach and sometimes shakiness.

My current mood is kind of stagnant I guess, definitely more of a low than I high. I’m also taking Wellbutrin, I should of mentioned that originally as the psychiatrist gave me ZyPrexa to prevent mania while I’m on the Wellbutrin.

I don’t think I have psychotic tendencies, the closest would be maybe irrational fears related to my anxiety. For instance, I’m terrified of going on a trip to the coast because I’m scared there would be like a tsunami or something.

I think the idea is to get me on ZyPrexa in the short term and transition to a mood stabilizer in the future.

Appreciate the feedback!

T

toto

Well, for me, impulsive decisions are part of maturing, also an attempt to get out of depression. For bipolar 2 I have heard that it is amenable to therapy and in some cases it is possible to reach complete remission.

S

stardust89x

Well, for me, impulsive decisions are part of maturing, also an attempt to get out of depression. For bipolar 2 I have heard that it is amenable to therapy and in some cases it is possible to reach complete remission.
Yeah, I think that’s part of what my mom was saying and that it was premature to diagnose me on the first visit without multiple therapy sessions. It’s difficult too when you have depression from a young age to distinguish abnormal behavior from what may be normal when you have periods in which you’re not depressed, as that is all you know.

Appreciate the feedback!

B

Blue Opal

I don't know anything about weed but I do know that withdrawing from psych medications can cause anxiety, maybe that also happens with weed.
If you are bipolar the anxiety could also be caused by the Wellbutrin since antidepressants can cause manic-like symptoms in people with bipolar.
Zyprexa is sedating and will probably help your anxiety.
All in all it's hard to draw any conclusions I think, since there are so many different factors at play. To see if you're really bipolar you would first have to give your body time to adjust to the new situation without the weed. Keep seeing the psychiatrist and tell him about your moods and anxiety and hopefully in time you will find out what's going on with you. With the right therapy and medication you will eventually start to feel better.
In any way you made the right choice by quitting the weed.

T

toto

You smoked weed, I forgot to mention. I always think of mental disorders as an escape from responsibility. Also at the time I sold a ring to buy an electric guitar. For doctors - bipolar, for me - a dream come true. Apparently because of marijuana is everything? And why were you depressed as a child?

M

Mommaofmany

So first talk with a professional and she seems to think I have bipolar I'm 36 with 5 children I was looking somethings up and I feel like yes this is me definitely butat the same time I'm scared I've been in denial about the depression part of it for sure but it's there, help me out I'll tell you a few things and see what you think I at times cannot sit and watch a movie I literally wake up some mornings at least 2 times a week and as soon as my feet hit the floor I'm cleaning not just cleaning like picking up but cleaning toilets washing clothes shampoo carpets vacuum it no th thing for me sometimes to vacuum at 1 am I have noticed when I talk to people I ramble on and sometimes embarrass my self I just talk out of my head and can't stop until I really feel like there screaming in there heads for me to shut up when I get in these cleaning or repairing moods literally I'm like in a zone I will push my husband to the side like I can't slow down for 1 sec to give him a kiss then he will literally grab me and hold me to kiss me and it makes me so mad not that I have to kiss him but that he disturbs me I'll randomly come up with these crazy ideas I want to pack all the kids, litterally that second and just go on vacation I have high anxiety about crazy stuff like touching my nose after having meds in my hand or not locking my doors in my car while my gum or drink is in there I have now painted my front door 2 times in 1 year and am not sure if I like that now I can't ever decide in one thing I litterally have to have someone else decide for me on things then I get mad I randomly push my husband away for no reason is this bipolar

T

toto

With five children, to tell you, your
behavior is normal.:) I envy you in general that you have a desire to clean. I would never see a disease on a trip. Only when your husband reaches out to kiss you - I don't understand. The question is what do you want to change in yourself?

M

Mommaofmany

So my question was does this seem like bipolar I get pretty agitated over the littlest things as well

T

toto

Hardly anyone here will tell you anything other than visiting a doctor. In short, being normal means working and loving. If your husband rushes to kiss you in these states, you are obviously not sick at all. What worries you about your condition? Because with five children, it seems scary to me. You don't have time for anything, but you clean when you least sleep.

M

Mommaofmany

Hmmm so it was a doctor who told me this as stated in the first line a professional not sure if she was a therapist psychiatrist or what her title is but there are many other things just a few I threw out there well I feel like he does do this because he senses somthing is wrong actually pretty sure he does realize what worries me is I had a manic state if mind in 2019 that could have ended me and husband all I'll say and then having the every day struggle

Bipolarbear808

Bipolarbear808

Hmmm so it was a doctor who told me this as stated in the first line a professional not sure if she was a therapist psychiatrist or what her title is but there are many other things just a few I threw out there well I feel like he does do this because he senses somthing is wrong actually pretty sure he does realize what worries me is I had a manic state if mind in 2019 that could have ended me and husband all I'll say and then having the every day struggle
Hi Mommaofmany,

Welcome to the forum! What you described in your first post does sound to me like you've had a manic episode. I'm Bipolar II so I don't get the full manic episodes. But, I can relate to felling like I'm in the zone when I'm hypo-manic, and I do get really irritated if someone interrupts my flow. I would go with what your therapist said. The more you see them, the better they will be able to confirm a diagnosis.