• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Reassurance I'm not alone?

M

Madeleine95

People tell me I'm doing great by attending therapy.
But I'm 19, I have 2 "friends", I have no job and minimal qualifications.
I use coping strategies just to be able to go food shopping without having a melt down.
I use food as a comfort and I'm now 17 stone.
I'm fat, I'm ugly and my self image is constantly changing.
I can't keep jobs or even stick to college classes because stress overwhelms me and my mood is so erratic.
Most of the time the emotional pain I feel is so strong I would rather die.
I have had 6 years of dealing with all of this and I'm starting to get very fed up.
Family members still use phrases like "get over it" "you're over reacting"
How would you know? Do you have borderline personality disorder?
The pain I feel every day is real, and tired of dealing with it alone.

FuzzyPeach

FuzzyPeach

You aren't alone.

All you can do is your best. Put one foot in front of the other. Enjoy the good timed. Sleep through the bad. Use your coping strategies. Remain hopefull one day things will be more bearable.

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry you feel so bad and that people don't seem to "get it"

Marliee x

Starless

Starless

Hi Madeline

You're not alone in this. At 19 I was in the same boat as you. But it does get easier. Have you read or been told anything about practicing mindfulness? Might be worth a look. Stick with your good coping strategies and try to gently push yourself to do more when you can. I found meditation helpful sometimes, but it's not for everyone. I know it's hard, but try not to lose hope that things will get better.

krista

krista

you are not alone, I was going through very similar issues when I was your age.
hugs! I hope it gets better..

StillFighting

StillFighting

Hi honey, you're not alone in this. I suffer from BPD as well and I can relate to the overwhelming emotions and the rapidly changing moods. I also understand how hard it can be to hear all those hurtful comments from people - where I come from, mental health illnesses are not recognized as such, people can't even imagine how much a person with a mental health illness is hurting, and most of the times are saying all the wrong things. Please, know you're not alone here. How long have you been in therapy? Do you feel that it's helping you?

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

You're definitely not alone.
A lot of what you said resonates with how I was at 17.
Things aren't necessarily 'normal' for me now, but I know i've come a long way, particularly in terms of loving myself (regardless of what stupid women's magazines would say about my appearance). x

M

Madeleine95

Thanks, your comments are really helpful, especially knowing things change with time! I have been in DBT about 3 months and am on our Christmas break at the minute which is maybe why I feel so rough. Thanks again, take care xx

A

Arielxo

I can honestly say from between the ages of 19-24 my moods are slightly better than they once were, but it doesn't mean it still isn't difficult. Most of the time I feel hopeless and I completely understand how you feel so in a way I feel a bit hypocritical saying things will get better, because I certainly don't believe it when people say it to me but what I can say is even if things don't get better you will become stronger and you will at least be able to live with an understanding of your illness, coping techniques and hope xo