• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Reasons to Stay Alive

jajingna

jajingna

This is from a book called Reasons to Stay Alive by Matt Haig, that I just downloaded earlier today: it looks like something you might see on Facebook I suppose.

Things people say to depressives that they don’t say in other life-threatening situations:

'COME ON, I know you’ve got tuberculosis, but it could be worse. At least no one’s died.’

‘Why do you think you got cancer of the stomach?’

‘Yes, I know, colon cancer is hard, but you want to try living with someone who has got it. Sheesh. Nightmare.’

‘Oh, Alzheimer’s you say? Oh, tell me about it, I get that all the time.’

‘Ah, meningitis. Come on, mind over matter.’

‘Yes, yes, your leg is on fire, but talking about it all the time isn’t going to help things, is it?’

‘Okay. Yes. Yes. Maybe your parachute has failed. But chin up. '

tiltawhirl

tiltawhirl

Bristol, TN/VA, USA (near mountains and 6 hours fr
I found a site that listed all the things you should never say to someone who is depressed and sent it to my family. I was giving them fair warning. I wasn't going to be nice to them about it if they kept repeating these things. They know me well enough to know I was putting up boundaries. They haven't become more understanding or caring but they do know what things to shut up about. I started a policy that if you offend me, I will offend you more...so you wanna play?

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

To be honest id rather folk said that kind of stuff. Dont want want folk walking on egg shells around me

B

Black Despondency

What a load of *******
Those quotes are try to show how absurd people with actually depression are treated, I think it actually shines some light on how ridiculous things commonly said to severely depressed are potentially suicidal people are.

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

Those quotes are try to show how absurd people with actually depression are treated, I think it actually shines some light on how ridiculous things commonly said to severely depressed are potentially suicidal people are.
Aye i hear you

B

Black Despondency

I have been told by someone who I considered a friend to stop taking my medications and pray to God and I would be ok. This person knows that I get acutely suicidal off my medications.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Introduce Yourself 8
8SonDer8 Introduce Yourself 7
I Introduce Yourself 12
C Introduce Yourself 6