• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Really struggling with physical symptoms

K

Keeptrying

Hi, I wondered how other people deal with their physical symptoms of anxiety. Since lockdown, I havent been going out and even meeting people im comfortable with sets me off. My breathing and heart rate is the main issue, my hands will start to tingle and as soon as that happens I start panicking. I'm meant to be starting uni next week and I'm so petrified of how I'm going to be physically. I seem to of developed quite a fear of fainting. Any advice or tips would be amazing, thank you in advance x

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

Hi, I wondered how other people deal with their physical symptoms of anxiety. Since lockdown, I havent been going out and even meeting people im comfortable with sets me off. My breathing and heart rate is the main issue, my hands will start to tingle and as soon as that happens I start panicking. I'm meant to be starting uni next week and I'm so petrified of how I'm going to be physically. I seem to of developed quite a fear of fainting. Any advice or tips would be amazing, thank you in advance x
I get bad panic attacks. Cant breath, my hands and feet turn into claws etc. Ive been taking beta blockers for a few years now and they definitely help. They are not addictive and i get no noticeable side effects. Ask you doc for them

L

LokiPokey75

Hi Keeptrying!

Welcome to the forum! I've been uncomfortable going out as well. It sucks when you already have social anxiety, then pair that with the fear of getting Covid-19. Not fun!

But I do think that your fear is making the anxiety worse. You're afraid of the symptoms you're going to have so you're anticipating the worse. I've done this all my life (still do!) so I know what you're going through. It can be a benefit though to prepare for the worst, as long as it's in your control.

At the moment, you are not in control. The fear is taking away your ability to see clearly. That's why I suggest you identify why you think these symptoms are going to happen to you. You don't necessarily know that's true, right?

If you're scared because you anticipate you'll have a heart attack or a panic attack or faint, then that's what need to be addressed. Allow yourself to fear that scenario happening. Think about where you'll be, who'll be around you, what resources you'll have.

In all fairness, it's probably good to have it at the school because you'll have a lot of witnesses. At home, unless with you live with someone, no one would be able to help you. You faint at school and a fellow student might be able to drive you to the hospital or call an ambulance. Just a thought.

Reframing the situation is critical to moving past the fear attached to it. I hope you'll be able to see that you can handle uni once you can remove the fears you have regarding your physical symptoms.

Remember your username and add staying safe to it as well. I believe in you!