• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Really struggling being in the same house as my parents in recent times, don't know what to do or how to be

R

rubydragon

Currently here in the UK we are in the third national lockdown so most days bar walks, excerise or errands I'm at home.

This lockdown in particular I've found it really hard and stressful day by day being at home. Dad is currently experiencing health problems with the signs pointing to it being Crohn's disease, he's been told in no uncertain terms to give up smoking, he's been a heavy smoker for at least 40 years. Now I 100 percent understand how the impact of Crohn's (if it is Crohn's) and smoking withdrawal can have on someone, I do my best to give him space, offer help (I'm doing everything that involves going out that he would be doing) and give advice/pointers whenever I feel it would be of use but every single time I get shutdown, screamed at, comments get made behind my back. It feels like nothing I say or do is right and I'm pretty much just his verbal punching bag.

The relationship with my dad has always been rocky, how he treats my mum, how he treats the home, among other things I won't go into. He just never wants to talk to me or be around me unless it is 100 percent on his terms. I have more of a relationship, closeness and get on more on a daily basis with mum and even so I find everything that goes wrong in the house gets blamed on me, I can never do anything right or say anything right and I'm constantly being nit-picked for every tiny thing. Plus Dad's effect on Mum then leads to Mum taking it out on me and pretty much only me.

I just don't know what to do or how I should be on a daily basis because it feels like every day right now I'm getting verbally abused or shouted at no matter what. I get made to feel aswell like I am the big problem and I'm the worst thing in the House. I'd so love to move out but I just love my own company too much. I couldn't bare living with randoms and financially being in lockdown and on furlough right now not earning enough. Would only earn enough to cover rent and some bills when back in work normally, not all the bills and shopping on top.

Really need advice and support what to do, how to be and where to go.

J

JeanPierre

That sounds horrible.
I'm so sorry. It's so stressful right now.
Welcome and best luck here!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
K really struggling! People 9
G I'm really worried about my mom's health. People 7
F Blocked numbers are they really blocked? People 2
ReverieAnxiety Really upset People 4
Confusedandanxious He really annoys me sometimes People 2
S Could really use advice and help People 1
Y What should you do if you really think you're unlikable? People 7
S I'm really worried about my mom People 4
Danniegirl1990 I’m really f-img lonely People 1
little rose really lonely cant have friends People 19
Owl93 Really need some help to understand People 22
H Really need some help please! People 4
N I'm 30 am I too old to be called Billy when my really name is William? People 4
I im really confused People 1
I feeling really hurt People 2
F Is one really the loneliest number? People 2
W Is that really love? People 8
F Is he really a friend? People 5
cassandra36 I feel really strange about this. People 1
P feel really down People 1
katya Boyfriend really unsupportive. People 8
B people really confuse me sometimes *mini rant* People 4
Jaminacaranda Just need advice really People 10
E Sometimes my mum really does annoy me People 4
B *Trigger* Really not sure what to do about a parent *long post* People 4
U Really need advice HELP People 3
A I can't stand that the girl I really like is engaged. I have extreme hatred for her fiance? People 4
S I'm extremely confused over separation from my boyfriend, and I would really appreciate any insight! People 16
M How do I get over my ex boyfriend who really hurt me? People 5
E I have BPD, really worried about effect on my little sister, where can I get her help? People 2
SomersetScorpio Really Upset... People 6
krista is he really a good friend? People 3
Girlrobin am feeing really bad People 4
E When is enough really enough? People 4
Y I was really chuffed People 2
R I don't really know how to describe this, but please give me any advice if you can People 2
ABsea Could I really be THAT naive?! People 11
L Is she really a friend? People 5
L Struggling to recover from the collapse of a friendship People 4
O Struggling with depression after losing my wife, my mother, business People 4
J struggling to balance my work life, family life, love life People 1
S partner is struggling with my depression People 4
V Struggling to cope with end of relationship People 1
D Finding a partner/Dating when struggling with social anxiety People 2
S Struggling People 1
F Struggling with friendships People 3
B Struggling with family, need help. People 5
S I need advice...im struggling to cope with my relationship..(with my partners mental health issues) People 3
S Struggling to cope after ending relationship with abusive ex boyfriend People 3
C Is a personality disorder to blame for my ex boyfriends extreme shifts in behaviour? Struggling to move on. People 1