Really strange panic attack.

B

BSMRB

Hiya,

I'm not quite sure if this is an anxiety attack or something else, but i wanted to see if anyone's experienced anything similar. I have anxiety anyway but I've never had an attack like this before.

I felt a little dizzy and wobbly earlier today, it passed so I thought nothing of it as it's quite a hot day today. I got home and everything was fine, I went to leave the house again to go to an appointment, i got on the bus feeling fine but after about 5 minutes I had this feeling of impending doom, I felt this weird tingly burning sensation from my lower belly up to my chest, i couldn't breathe properly, i felt extremely dizzy and sick. I got off the bus which helped alot, so I started walking about until it happened again but even worse. It was on and off from there, lasting about an hour and a half, feeling worse and worse, i couldn't walk without feeling like i was gonna faint, i felt wobbly, the burning feeling kept coming and going with the feeling of not being able to breathe. I was genuinely scared for my life. All that was followed by shaking like mad.

I'm home now and feeling better, but I'm terrified it'll happen again.
I don't know if this is anxiety or some sort of heat stroke or both. So if anyone knows or has experienced this before then please let me know.
I would of gone to the hospital but it all has passed so i don't see the need in it, I spoke to a doctor on the phone and she didn't seem too concerned about my physical health and said it was anxiety - but I can't find anything online about anyone who's had panic attacks like this.

These episodes happened over a good handful of times and took almost 2 hours for me to calm down..

I just need reassurance):

Thankyou xx

E

EstherRose94

It sounds like a panic attack ABOUT feeling unwell. So a mix but the panic made it worse. My sister has those when she is nauseous/ car sick.

B

BSMRB

It sounds like a panic attack ABOUT feeling unwell. So a mix but the panic made it worse. My sister has those when she is nauseous/ car sick.
I do get them alot. Whenever I feel sick I get extremely panicked. But again it's never been anything like what I experienced today):

Warrior

Warrior

@BSMRB what you've had today is high anxiety levels leading to very bad panic attacks which @EstherRose94 as stated they can get that extreme you feel like your having an heart attack, I've been rushed in hospital in the past thinking an heart attack when it wasn't they just gave me oxygen for a while to carm the heart. As you can see from the link below symptoms can be severe, you need to sit and rest when you feel this coming on :hug:

Anxiety disorders - Symptoms and causes

B

BSMRB

@BSMRB what you've had today is high anxiety levels leading to very bad panic attacks which @EstherRose94 as stated they can get that extreme you feel like your having an heart attack, I've been rushed in hospital in the past thinking an heart attack when it wasn't they just gave me oxygen for a while to carm the heart. As you can see from the link below symptoms can be severe, you need to sit and rest when you feel this coming on :hug:

Anxiety disorders - Symptoms and causes
I'm pretty glad that it's just a bad panic attack. I do get what you mean about the heart attack thing, I've had alot that feel like that but this one was so bad I could bearly describe it properly.
I did sit down while it was happening but I felt so faint and I couldn't breathe properly it was hard to stay still or try to focus on breathing.
Anxiety sucks so much):

Thankyou so much!

L

Laudanum

It does sound like an anxiety attack. I went to A&E three times 9-10 weeks ago, thinking I was having a heart attack, and they didn't find anything wrong. Gradually they subsided and I haven't had a panic attack for 2 months (touch wood). The initial sensation was like a crushing in my chest, shortness of breath and dizziness. I was convinced I was having a heart attack, but the blood tests said no, thank goodness.

What can happen is the blood rushes to your heart and brain (the most important organs) as your body prepares for fight or flight, giving the heavy, crushing sensation and the dizziness.

Warrior

Warrior

I'm pretty glad that it's just a bad panic attack. I do get what you mean about the heart attack thing, I've had alot that feel like that but this one was so bad I could bearly describe it properly.
I did sit down while it was happening but I felt so faint and I couldn't breathe properly it was hard to stay still or try to focus on breathing.
Anxiety sucks so much):

Thankyou so much!
Yes you get proper chest pains, that's why the ambulance was called on me and it can feel really stressful but the focusing and feeling faint comes from dehydration also because it messes with the oxygen also going to the brain, it's like the body is on an adrenaline rush.

Yes it does suck and make you :panic:

Warrior

Warrior

It does sound like an anxiety attack. I went to A&E three times 9-10 weeks ago, thinking I was having a heart attack, and they didn't find anything wrong. Gradually they subsided and I haven't had a panic attack for 2 months (touch wood). The initial sensation was like a crushing in my chest, shortness of breath and dizziness. I was convinced I was having a heart attack, but the blood tests said no, thank goodness.

What can happen is the blood rushes to your heart and brain (the most important organs) as your body prepares for fight or flight, giving the heavy, crushing sensation and the dizziness.
Laudanum it's like I said previous to BSMRB, it messes with the oxygen going to the brain, it's like the body is on an adrenaline rush.:hug:

B

BSMRB

I'm glad it's just anxiety and not anything bad, but i have an appointment tomorrow with my doctor to check over my physical health (and hopefully help with these panic attacks)

I'm sorry you had to go through that though. I've been there a few times before completely certain that I'm having a heart attack (which happens to be a huge fear of mine too). Horrible feeling - But I've never had one like I've had today.):

B

BSMRB

Yes you get proper chest pains, that's why the ambulance was called on me and it can feel really stressful but the focusing and feeling faint comes from dehydration also because it messes with the oxygen also going to the brain, it's like the body is on an adrenaline rush.

Yes it does suck and make you :panic:
Its not a nice feeling. But yeah i get what you mean with the adrenaline rush thing - i hate it so much haha

Libraryman

Libraryman

Hiya,
i couldn't breathe properly, i felt extremely dizzy and sick. I got off the bus which helped alot, so I started walking about until it happened again but even worse
it sounds like you should learn to breathe in these kindve 'stress moments' that tend to surprise us all in life. I still deal with anxiety sometimes in life, and what best helps me is centering myself, and breathing, as dumb as it sounds, it works.

B

BSMRB

How did the doctor's appointment go?
They gave me 80mg propranolol which has helped so much and my panic attacks are much milder and less often. I found out it was the citalopram I was on that caused the panic attacks and have since come off them and not had anything like that since. Coming off those tablets was hard, my skin was burning for a full week! Glad to be rid of them lol.

Thankyou for asking:)

L

Laudanum

Glad you are feeling a bit better. I'm on Citalopram and Propranalol (the latter sporadically). When I run out of citalopram I have had bad head zaps and irregular heartbeats.

B

BSMRB

Glad you are feeling a bit better. I'm on Citalopram and Propranalol (the latter sporadically). When I run out of citalopram I have had bad head zaps and irregular heartbeats.
Thats terrible! - I don't think SSRI's are very good. They seem to have alot of adverse effects on people (they do for me anyway). I hope it gets better for you soon!

L

Laudanum

Thats terrible! - I don't think SSRI's are very good. They seem to have alot of adverse effects on people (they do for me anyway). I hope it gets better for you soon!
Fortunately it only happens when I haven't taken them for a couple of days, or when trying to come off. Glad you're felling better.

B

BSMRB

Fortunately it only happens when I haven't taken them for a couple of days, or when trying to come off. Glad you're felling better.
Well that's good then! - but keep taking them if they help!
Thankyou for checking up:)