• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

really odd sleep behavior please help

J

Johntron9999

currently im 33 and ever since i was 20 my sleep has never been steady and i cant beleive i learned to accept it because its hell... ill start out going to bed at 12 midnight and wake up at 8am like a regular person but the following night ill end up going to sleep around 12:30am and waking up at 8:30 am etc and etc and before you know it im waking up at 4pm in the afternoone waking up around 11pm and my days and nights are mixed up. i never can fall asleep on the same time its always delayed and slowly but surely ill be going to bed at 10pm and waking around 6am and of course it will get mixed up again.... i cant even keep doctors appointments because i cant argue with my body and force it to sleep OR wake up so i miss appointments usually it is truly miserable and has a huge impact on me. the weird thing is i always seem to get atleast 7 or 8 hours sleep which is good has anyone ever had or heard of someone with this?? why does it happen? i have plenty of friends who are currently unemployed and have nothing to wake up for in the morning but they ALWAYS go to sleep around 10 or 11pm and rise right at 7am! im so confused it really does not help my depression thank you for reading!

Rowan

Rowan

I have had serious sleep problems as well and I live with my husband who works shifts, which doesn't help!

I read a good book recently called Sleep Smarter: 21 Essential Strategies to Sleep Your Way to a Better Body, Better Health, and Bigger Success.

It is written by a sleep expert and I have implemented some of his ideas and it has helped me.

A

AuraSunset

I have insomnia and my sleep patterns are as far from 'normal' as they could possibly be, but I will pass on some of the advice that has been given to me in the past. Try to go to bed at the same time each night, even if you don't feel that tired, and set an alarm for the morning. The aim is to try and program your body into a sleep routine. If your alarm isn't working, get a louder one! Snacking before bed can keep you awake to, so try to avoid eating anything for a while before you want to sleep. The same is true of over stimulating your mind before trying to sleep. If you don't feel sleepy listen to some relaxing music, a guided sleep meditation or some asmr. Your body wants it's 8 hours sleep a day so it's not insomnia related. You just need to train it to rest when you want it to, which means trying to stick to a routine for a while and avoiding naps during the day.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
A Really struggling Depression Forum 26
A does anyone else think they are really boring Depression Forum 17
B Really want to kill myself. Anyone want to message me. Depression Forum 27
E I just need someone to speak to... I’m really struggling and can’t talk to anyone else Depression Forum 15
F really worried Depression Forum 7
moonperson vent/advice: I really can't stand myself and I don't want to like this person who I am. Depression Forum 14
B I really can't take it anymore trigger warning suicide. Depression Forum 28
R New here, not really sure what I'm doing Depression Forum 4
P Really craving a girlfriend Depression Forum 26
Y Feeling really lonely sice covid started Depression Forum 7
I Really scared I will get told off Depression Forum 19
J does exercise really help moderate to servere depression? Depression Forum 28
B Do I really have depression? Depression Forum 16
T Feeling really suicidal Depression Forum 9
C Being a Virgin is really getting to me and making me feel really depressed Depression Forum 17
Jam1990 Do medications really work for depression/anxiety Depression Forum 24
L Feeling really low Depression Forum 2
N Is everything really meant to happen for a reason? Depression Forum 27
F puppy ,really worried x Depression Forum 19
L Really Depressed: Depression Forum 2
S Depression really bad this morning Depression Forum 10
L Feel like nothings ever going to change. Really struggling Depression Forum 3
DistantOcean Pretty much ready to blow my brains out (not really) Depression Forum 10
W Do we really get over deppression, Depression Forum 15
N New to this, really just need to find my light again. Depression Forum 5
M Human Wreck - What the real life really is now? Depression Forum 5
C This isolation is really fueling my depression Depression Forum 12
P Really tired of all this Depression Forum 8
B Really want to die Depression Forum 6
J Never felt this way before. Quite scared Infact and really don’t know what to do Depression Forum 1
T Depression from Sleep Disorders/Difficulties Depression Forum 3
C Sleep and Mood Depression Forum 7
G I can't sleep. Depression Forum 1
G Suicidal from lack of sleep Depression Forum 50
E Excessive sleep+depression+OCD= lost Depression Forum 2
F Sleep and Anxiety / Depression Depression Forum 5
F Sleep and Lithium Depression Forum 6
F amy was put to sleep Depression Forum 14
R Can't Sleep Depression Forum 24
THE MANDALORIAN I tried to sleep Depression Forum 2
J Need help with sleep..... What works for you Depression Forum 29
T Treatment-Resistant Depression, Lethargy, Sleep Apnoea Depression Forum 5