• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Really depressed at the moment

Dav

Dav

I’m really depressed I just didn’t think I would be in this state currently. I have no kids or job or partner and live with my parents which I don’t mind living with them but I still worry about mental health and how this burning sensation I get will send me back to the mental hospital, on top of that the side effects from the meds are really bringing me down, I put tons of weight on from the meds I’m always lethargic and my anxiety is super bad I just feel like I’m running out of time and I will never be normal again :( I’m scared of people because of the voices I hear my appearance aka the weight gain is also contributing. I keep getting panic attacks from the side effects of my meds too all this combined is really making me depressed. Sometimes I think if my medication gets switched I might not take them because of the side effects that worries me that I would get sectioned again. Any advise? Do I still have time to have a good life and to sort things out or am I doomed to isolation like I have been for several years.

TooMuchPain

TooMuchPain

I hear ya. Sounds like you are having a pretty tough time right now. Sorry to hear that. I know this isn’t what you want to hear but right now sounds like a good time to actually try and be happy. You gotta learn how to accept the way life is going for you; and find ways to spend your time doing things you need to do, and don’t forget things you enjoy. And I know what its like to hate it when these words are said to me. I have also been there and wondered if the side effects are worse than the benefit of the drug. I found deep breathing exercises to be helpful when I was at your stage. I think its really important that you start moving around more. When I went back to work I was mentally and physically exhausted for the first few months. Moving around more is good for so many reasons. And I do think you can achieve a better life. It starts with you deciding to believe you will get there.

J

Justwaiting

Sorry to hear that things have been getting you down.....

With regard to the meds, it may be worth seeing your pdoc with an advocate if you really are unhappy over the side effects.

Also even if you find there's still an increase in weight after that or you can't reduce it easily...perhaps ask for help to find an exercise regime that's doable? At least then you can work on being the best shape or healthy.
Also, it could've worth noticing what you are overeating. For example if it's chocolate you may be short of magnesium. If it's fats perhaps taking omega oils would help.

Perhaps try to find something you enjoy ...something fun, interesting, that you feel motivated to do again.

Dav

Dav

I hear ya. Sounds like you are having a pretty tough time right now. Sorry to hear that. I know this isn’t what you want to hear but right now sounds like a good time to actually try and be happy. You gotta learn how to accept the way life is going for you; and find ways to spend your time doing things you need to do, and don’t forget things you enjoy. And I know what its like to hate it when these words are said to me. I have also been there and wondered if the side effects are worse than the benefit of the drug. I found deep breathing exercises to be helpful when I was at your stage. I think its really important that you start moving around more. When I went back to work I was mentally and physically exhausted for the first few months. Moving around more is good for so many reasons. And I do think you can achieve a better life. It starts with you deciding to believe you will get there.
Thank you for the encouragement I really appreciate the advise.

Dav

Dav

Sorry to hear that things have been getting you down.....

With regard to the meds, it may be worth seeing your pdoc with an advocate if you really are unhappy over the side effects.

Also even if you find there's still an increase in weight after that or you can't reduce it easily...perhaps ask for help to find an exercise regime that's doable? At least then you can work on being the best shape or healthy.
Also, it could've worth noticing what you are overeating. For example if it's chocolate you may be short of magnesium. If it's fats perhaps taking omega oils would help.

Perhaps try to find something you enjoy ...something fun, interesting, that you feel motivated to do again.
Thank you I didn’t know about the magnesium thing, I sometimes over eat chocolate but my health hasn’t been doing great so I started taking supplements with magnesium in them they help a bit but most the time I don’t overeat. My prolactin is also high and they left it like this, I’m just finding it hard that all my cloths have also gone tight but the care co ordinator keeps downplaying it saying well you were too thin before but I wasn’t.

J

Justwaiting

Thank you I didn’t know about the magnesium thing, I sometimes over eat chocolate but my health hasn’t been doing great so I started taking supplements with magnesium in them they help a bit but most the time I don’t overeat. My prolactin is also high and they left it like this, I’m just finding it hard that all my cloths have also gone tight but the care co ordinator keeps downplaying it saying well you were too thin before but I wasn’t.
From memory, I think it may be worth asking more about the prolactin if, that is, you want to...to ask about effects of that.

I know it's difficult. If you have an advocate you may be able to check with them there if there are any practical or talking therapies on offer that help.

Dav

Dav

From memory, I think it may be worth asking more about the prolactin if, that is, you want to...to ask about effects of that.

I know it's difficult. If you have an advocate you may be able to check with them there if there are any practical or talking therapies on offer that help.
Yeah they might be changing my medication cus I said I no longer want this one I keep overheating also I’m just not sure what side effects the other one will bring, they don’t take the weight gain serious. I did contact phower I think they’re called they said I can have an advocate in a month :)

J

Justwaiting

Just thinking, not sure where you are but have you sought any therapeutic help privately ?

There are things which could possibly help but they may not be available on NHS.

J

Justwaiting

Also, one other thing vit d deficiency is linked with depression, and I think some of b vitamins might be too.

Dav

Dav

Just thinking, not sure where you are but have you sought any therapeutic help privately ?

There are things which could possibly help but they may not be available on NHS.
I’m in the Uk the Oxford area thanks my anxiety is so bad though because of voices I hear sometimes I think my case is hopeless.

Dav

Dav

Also, one other thing vit d deficiency is linked with depression, and I think some of b vitamins might be too.
I tried those and also weight loss supplements but my weight still goes up, but thank you I do think I’m deficient in those hopefully they change my meds to something better.

Z

Zoe1

I've got similar feelings going on tonight Dav
I've been doing extra exercise but its really tired me out
and I'm feeling trapped in my weight

however eating lots of vegetables
helps to at least stabilise it so it stops going up

I mean you can eat other things and treats as well
just be sure to have a good portion of vegetables per day

Dav

Dav

I’m sorry it’s very difficult especially putting weight it’s good that you’re exercising though :). I need to make sure I get more veg and fruit though you’re right.

Z

Zoe1

thanks Dav

sometimes I like a big plate of microwave vegetalbes
a little bit of oil and salt on it
and some chocolate afterwards !

if you have dark chocolate you tend to binge on it less
than with other sweets

Dav

Dav

That’s ok thank you too, That sounds nice