• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Really bad chest pains

Ineedhelp2921

Ineedhelp2921

I've been having some really bad chest pains lately, and I'm about 80% sure its not my anxiety causing this.
It started last August when I was walking from the train station, I had quite a walk and my chest (Heart area) really hurt. It felt like my heart was just really restricted and like someone had their hand round my heart. I'm a relatively fit person, and hadn't experienced it before. I shrugged it off as I was wearing a mask at the time and thought that may have been the issue. I know I had this problem pop up again on and off, but I cant remember exactly when and where.

Now I had a bit of a breakdown a month later with my anxiety, my main symptom was a rapid heart rate, this symptom lasted for around 2 weeks. gradually dying down. I told my doctor about my incident as well. And she basically said it was my anxiety and put me on some tablets to help ease my heartrate. I agree that in that time it was my anxiety but the chest pain I felt in the past wasn't anxiety.

Cut to the present day, I haven't had that pain up until the past couple of weeks. Today I was trying to exercise and the pain was that bad I had to stop as I generally thought I was going to have a heart attack. Even now as Im typing this my heart just feel like its restricted. Just achy and shooting pains. Its very on and off. I'm not sure If I should go to the doctors, as they have enough on their plate.
Plus I'm worried that my doctor will just say it's anxiety again.

Has anyone ever had this problem or know what this could be?

babyblue22

babyblue22

I've been having some really bad chest pains lately, and I'm about 80% sure its not my anxiety causing this.
It started last August when I was walking from the train station, I had quite a walk and my chest (Heart area) really hurt. It felt like my heart was just really restricted and like someone had their hand round my heart. I'm a relatively fit person, and hadn't experienced it before. I shrugged it off as I was wearing a mask at the time and thought that may have been the issue. I know I had this problem pop up again on and off, but I cant remember exactly when and where.

Now I had a bit of a breakdown a month later with my anxiety, my main symptom was a rapid heart rate, this symptom lasted for around 2 weeks. gradually dying down. I told my doctor about my incident as well. And she basically said it was my anxiety and put me on some tablets to help ease my heartrate. I agree that in that time it was my anxiety but the chest pain I felt in the past wasn't anxiety.

Cut to the present day, I haven't had that pain up until the past couple of weeks. Today I was trying to exercise and the pain was that bad I had to stop as I generally thought I was going to have a heart attack. Even now as Im typing this my heart just feel like its restricted. Just achy and shooting pains. Its very on and off. I'm not sure If I should go to the doctors, as they have enough on their plate.

I suffer from panic attacks but I never get a shooting pain. I can hardly breathe, everything feels tight, I get faint & light headed and my chest hurts. Doctors & hospitals are open, if you have any concerns please contact them. Our hearts go through enough in our lifetime so look after you xx

JessisMe

JessisMe

I agree. The symptoms sound serious enough to warrant having them checked. xo, j

Anime-Alchemy

Anime-Alchemy

You should go back to the doctors, and explain it to them, just the way you explained it here on the forums.
If your doctor says it's just anxiety, then tell them you don't think it is. That you disagree with that and would like some
tests done or something like that.

Northern Girl

Northern Girl

Any type of chest pain during exercise is best checked out as your heart is a muscle and works harder during exercise so any pain in that area could be due to any number of causes.

I would not do any more exercise until you know what is causing the pain. I recommend you seek medical advice as soon as you can, especially if it gets worse or you get breathless or other symptoms.
If you are in the UK ring NHS Direct or go online to their website and report your symptoms of chest pain and it will recommend what to do next. I wouldn't assume anything, it's best to know.

Ineedhelp2921

Ineedhelp2921

Hey thanks guys

I'm going to have a check-up with my doctor. Im a bit worried they are going to tell me off as I haven't updated them for my mental health. Although Im is not sure if I was supposed to.
My chest pains haven't happened this week which is typical. I went out for some exercise the other day and nothing happened. Im perplexed as to why it comes and goes.