• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Reality of med free recovery?

A

Apotheosis

What are the realistic options here? & what real choice is there?

Do you think it's that easy? After being up against forced meds - forced injections - sections - threats of sections if tablets aren't taken - CTO's - Bullied into taking meds - ect ect ect. Given the state of play & the way the psychiatric system operates - do you think that there is much choice in all this? & given that most of us who haven't wanted meds have been forced & coerced to take them; & made dependant on them - there has been no choice in the matter.

What choice is there now? Is there services from psychiatry to help people get off meds? Psychiatric med detox programs & treatments houses? Support for people wanting med free recovery?

What are those of us who never wanted meds - & who would love to be med free - meant to do??????????

M

mad as a hatter

i think u have a point there after having meds forced on in last time in hospital i think they seem 2 have the law on ther side and use the mental health act 2 there advantage and we don,t have a say i wish i could live without these meds and have tried so many times but end up bk in the same system over and over again i hate bein dependant on them they make me feel numb and un human most the time

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I agree i also ask if i came off meds what of the impact of my possible behaviour on those around me and do i have a right to subject them to that

M

mad as a hatter

if people with a physical illness refused treatment would they tk there rights away and force it then no i don,t think so

I

IntrospectionFtw!

I'd imagine med free recoveries would be more successful if your neuroleptic naive and if you work immediatly with psychotherapy and teach yourself some coping mechanisms. jung was successful in curing schizophrenics with psychotherapy alone and theres many people in history who have overcome psychosis with the absense of drugs through necessity alone. there is actually some meaning to the things people experience and it needs to be deciphed everyone has their own inner demons that they have to conquer thats abit abstract but im sure you'll understand me. coming off of them is a very time consuming and emotionally draining process i've put myself through hell twice now and i have been able to succesfully adjust to being off of them so i have proved to myself atleast that it is somewhat posssible. im looking into alternative drug treatments anything that doesnt work on dopamine but might be helpful.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Rambo - Some would say that the 'mentally ill' don't have a right to subject the rest of humanity to their existence

Two wrongs do not make a right, i don't beleive people have the right to refuse treatment and cause those around them extreme stress, in my housing those refusing meds and those on the receiving end of the unplasentness are both mentally illl

A

Apotheosis

i don't beleive people have the right to refuse treatment and cause those around them extreme stress
By 'treatment' - I assume you mean being drugged?

I'd not agree with the assumption that those that recover med free cause extreme stress to others.

So would you agree with & condone the conclusions of Arthur Koestler in his book - The Ghost in the Machine ?

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LcYimbNiBrw&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LcYimbNiBrw&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]​

I

IntrospectionFtw!

Rambo - Some would say that the 'mentally ill' don't have a right to subject the rest of humanity to their existence

Two wrongs do not make a right, i don't beleive people have the right to refuse treatment and cause those around them extreme stress, in my housing those refusing meds and those on the receiving end of the unplasentness are both mentally illl
Fuck humanity im sanist. revolution!.

Last edited:
R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
You know my views, i've had a lot of experience of those with mental illness saying their off drugs and well, i've also had experience of them disapearing, those i know well inevitably i'll hear have been sectioned

R

rasselas

I got off them. I think I've mentioned it before. Abilify, Carbamazepine. The depot I always forget the name H-something. I forget most things from that period. What else? Mellaril. Amisupride. More recently Depakote. Lamitrogine. I'm sure there are others.

You wouldn't believe the amount of extreme stress I cause on a daily basis. Shocking really. They should lock me up! :)

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
what the housing officer calls my on off partner is in hospital again, she gets violent when she comes off drugs, she tells me they're threatening to put her in a home

I sometimes wonder if the relationship is worth it then i think of all the women i've dated and how few have actually gone to bed with me

It causes me a lot of stress, when i got into a fight with her and gave her a black eye, i thought that was the end but recently she's started using a hammer, someone could get hurt

I suspect with the coming shortage of resources big time, they'll get heavy on revolving door patients who keep on requiring hospital care and will use community treatment orders more and more

I'm troubled by my "girlfriend" been forced to take drugs, i don't like it, i don't like taking them either

R

rasselas

I don't know what to say, other than violence breeds violence, whoever it's coming from.

as for drugs. i wish i could say that being off them equalled a full recovery and everything is tickety-boo. it isn't. it's a struggle. as with anyone else. i don't consider myself lucky, or exceptional, or better, or less better than anyone else.

my good fortune is to have won the postcode lottery in terms of service provision. I do get all the support i need, if i ask for it. although there's a paradox there. i do my best to not ask, when I would probabbly be wiser to ask, when things are very hard. because of course if i'm asking too much, they start to reach for the pen and the pad. so it isn't rosey, by any means. i think each choice, the way things stand, in certain situations, has its pitfalls...

another factor for me is toleration. i just don't tolerate any of them well. the hardline stuff like abilify and prozac. each and every one of them messes me up. i've been dmamaged by them. another paradox. they forgot to clone me, and have the clone lead an identical life, with no drugs at all. so i can't prove conclusively anything. and of course, i don't want to cause a fuss and upset the applecart. i fear them. as many do. i fear what they can do.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I don't see it as violence, i see it as her been ill, pretty medical model i guess, i've had friends attack me with knives when they come off drugs, either mad or bad as they say

Then theres the issue of how i'd like to be treated in the same situation

The cpn threatened to have her flat cleared out if i didn't look after her cat, if she's not out by the end of may, i told my brother and sister i'd go to brum to help my 88 yr old mother as my brothers going abroad for holiday, guess if i tell the cpn he'll have to look after the cat she'll be out quicker

I'm beginning to feel that a strategic sectioning would help my benefit claim but thats another thing

One friend who came off meds his body was found floating in the thames

My friend in brum says it's like eastenders