• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

realising ones dreams

L

looloo

Hi guys,
I wonder if there is someone out there who can help, am sooo hoping there is.
I support a young chap in the community who has recently come to us, he has his own flat, suffers Epilepsy and has a Learning Dis.
He plays guitar quite well and has in fact had professional lessons in the past,
He is passionate about joining or forming a band and although rock is his favourite kind of music he can and does play allsorts.
So here I am hoping to help him realise a dream, does anyone out there know of an organisation, club or even a fellow service user who has similar aspirations

B

Buddha

Passion to dispassion

Hi guys,
I wonder if there is someone out there who can help, am sooo hoping there is.
I support a young chap in the community who has recently come to us, he has his own flat, suffers Epilepsy and has a Learning Dis.
He plays guitar quite well and has in fact had professional lessons in the past,
He is passionate about joining or forming a band and although rock is his favourite kind of music he can and does play allsorts.
So here I am hoping to help him realise a dream, does anyone out there know of an organisation, club or even a fellow service user who has similar aspirations
That young chap and you are already complete. It does not matter whether you support him or he supports you. In truth we do not know who is supporting who. It just looks that you are supporting him. May be, he is supporting you.

For Epilepsy and learning disability, neurofeedback is a very effective complementary therapy.

I don't think that we are on earth to realise our dreams. We all know that 'dreams' (desires) never end - so, to pursue dreams and desires is ultimately futile. Invariably one dream (desire) leads to another and then another and so on.

We are here to wake up from our dreams and recognise that all the dreams that we ever had and wanted to realise - were just that; dreams. Let this young chap play the guitar and whatever he plays. Help him in whatever way you can - as you are doing.

However, stop believing that the realisation of his dreams are your concern. They are not.

Recognise that you may be dreaming yourself. And wake up from your own dream.

Remember Ramana Maharshi's words:

'Your own self-realisation is the greatest service you can render the world'.

C

coraline1664

-

Hi looloo

I think it's great that you want to help this man find a way to do something he will enjoy.
Is it that you think it would be helpful to mention somewhere that would be able to support him sufficiently at the same time? How much support does he need?
If he wanted to he could always check to see if they were any bands looking for guitarists in his area, there may be places where he lives that have advertisements from bands looking for musicians. Some will want to play gigs in a more serious way and some will be slower paced and more relaxed, so it's all up to him. There are also websites such as Gumtree that have advertisements by area for this sort of thing.
I wish him the best of luck.

Take care,

Elizabeth

C

coraline1664

-

I just realised that it is possible he could be affected by flashing lights, so of course playing gigs might not be suitable. There are also young people's health projects around that sometimes put on music nights and things like that where he could go and play, if he would be interested of course. I think if he could ask around his area and see what is available that way it might be helpful.

M

maudikie

maudikie.

Is there a mental health group meeting place anywhere in your area? if this oung chap, who I admire for getting on with his "hobby", were to go to one of the group meetings, and ASK if they would like a tune it might be a start. He cold then take it from there.
I think that starting a group is perhps a bit too ambitious to start with, but he may find other he can join up with. Music is very therpeutic.
All best wishes to both of you,:clap:

L

looloo

Hi all,
This chap has an hour of support a day he would not need support once he'd found something. Thanks for the Gumtree suggestion hadn't thought of that.
He is not affected by flashing lights as far as he knows his seizures appear random.
He has aspirations that may be a little high and sadly he will only realise this if and when we can get something set up. But it would be great to get him that far eh?
Thanx for the responses. Posting this has made me aware that we are still lacking in catering to the needs of the individual, that at times a client will come to us needing support with a desire to do something unusual. Blimey what a challenge if he'd said I soooo want to climb Mount Kilimanjaro!
So I shall continue hunting, please keep the replies coming in they all help

ralph1

ralph1

Founding Member
What I am glad about in all this is that there is someone who is helping him to make a dream come true. I have long held the opinion that we all need a dream, and it is especially true in the field of M.H. As Bloody Mary sang in South Pacific "if you dont have a dream, how you going to make a dream come true".. I made this point once to a lead Clinician and her reply was "yes, and it must be for more than leading a normal life"

Last edited:
C

coraline1664

-

I don't think an aspiration to play in a band and have fun with it is too high. I'd agree with you if he wanted to play in a band for a living.
How it's going with it all by the way?

Abbi

Abbi

Hi

I have a profondly disabled son who went along to a group called "music zone" in devonport plymouth...there were lots of young people with various levels of disability some very talented others who just enjoyed making a noise.I know they put on small shows etc.
Anyway hope that maybe of some help and well done for the support you are offering this young man i know how easily our more vulnerable friends can become isolated thier deams seen as unimportant.
Take care and should you need more info i will do my best to help .:grouphug:

ralph1

ralph1

Founding Member
I don't think an aspiration to play in a band and have fun with it is too high. I'd agree with you if he wanted to play in a band for a living.
How it's going with it all by the way?
personally I think any dream will do, but it must be achievable.
For me life is well in the MH field, but I am having a nightmare in my bungalow where the housing associatin decided to re fit everybodies kitchen. Mine has taken 4 weeks so far and only today did I get a sink and taps. They still have to fit the Hob, tile the walls, paint walls, woodwork, lay a new floor and fit an extractor, They then have to repair and repaint te ceiling. So I am not a happy bunny and am very concerned for the other 60+ residents who are a lot older and frailer than I am. And how are you???

C

coraline1664

-

oops sorry! That post was meant for the first question on the thread, I didn't make that clear. The man that looloo was talking about said that he wanted to be in a band, and I was just saying in response to some of the other replies that I didn't think wanting to be in a band was too high an aspiration for him.

That work being done on your bungalow sounds very disruptive. Hope it's over soon though! I'm ok, just ups and downs. I've been having problems in my home too with the plumbing that KEEP going wrong after being 'fixed', so that's quite annoying too.

L

looloo

music sweet music

Thanks Abbi, We have been chasing up a local CYMAZ (Cornwall Youth Music Action Zone) and are awaiting a reply to our email. Other than that we have had little success so far, the funding may be there and a place available if he were under 16, and something could be found if he were also over a certain age but there is definately little out there for 16-30ish