real voices

A

amistuck

hi there... a breif history... i am 22 and am diagnosed with psycosis for about 3 years and i am on olanzapine. i have always heard voices but min dont seem to be hallucinations but rather "real" voices of people i know and i can interact with them. for example if i "hear" someone and say somthin back, then the next time i see that person i am convinced that we actually spoke. this is really affecting me at work and home because i feel as if people can hear what im doing and things like that... i was wondering if this sounds familliar to anyone? and am i stuck??

Bluemoon

Bluemoon

Founding Member
I do hear voices, have done for just over 10 years now. When in the house I can sometimes make out the next door neighbours saying things about me. I can be on the bus and think I can hear other passengers saying things although it's not as severe as those voices I hear in the house. No matter where I go, I can hear voices but depending on the environment they very from very mild to very severe. They feel real but I have learned to rationalize it with logic and carefully thinking the contents, of what is being said, through. Some things worry me as they are accurate in terms of my present lifestyle, situation and what I've said to others that live in the neighbourhood - they can cause a lot of stress over the course of an evening ( for some reason they are worse on an evening ). Other things that are said are simply not true or they repeat too much. I know that if I hear the same thing several times in an evening or a few days then I know for sure that it's all imaginary because they would have to be very obsessed to speak the same stuff over and over again.

Have I always heard them ?

When I first became unwell, I did. but they were mild and went away after several weeks. I had no problems for about a year until a very stressful period in my life triggered them off so they seem to be related to high levels of stress.

I have a friend who also hears voices and her treatment works to the point that they aren't much of a problem any more, although they are still there a little in the background.

Are you stuck ?

It's hard to say. Some people have them for years ( like me ), others seem to get them intermittently and some people recover from them. I am currently on Seroquel which is a medication from the same company that makes Olanzapine ( which I have also been on ) and is a medication that is also noted for treating voices. Maybe you could discuss switching to Seroquel with your doctor at some stage if things don't improve ? I find that it's a better medication in terms of side effects.

A

amistuck

so you mean less weight gain etc...??

Bluemoon

Bluemoon

Founding Member
so you mean less weight gain etc...??
Oh yes, absolutely - but you may still gain a little weight ( but far less than olanzapine ) depending on the dosage. I've been on 650mg of Seroquel daily ( which is quite a high dosage ) and have fair less weight gain than any of the other medications that I've been on.

A

amistuck

so does it help with the voices etc...?

Bluemoon

Bluemoon

Founding Member
It's hard to say. Some people have them for years ( like me ), others seem to get them intermittently and some people recover from them. I am currently on Seroquel which is a medication from the same company that makes Olanzapine ( which I have also been on ) and is a medication that is also noted for treating voices.
That's my personal experience quoted from my first reply and the little leaflet that comes with the medication states that it helps to ease voices.

Q

Qtime

worried

I am on Seroquel, along with a couple anti/d's.

I have been on it at least 9yrs. Never had a problem (hearing/seeing) things.

I in the past 12 months have heard voice shout my name, but it was from behind my head, and more than one voice all at the same time.

My psych made a note but nothing else.
I was recently in the hospital and I thought I heard a little girl ghost say "go"right in front of me. I did not see a ghost, witch means it was a voice.
This is bothering me.

Thanks for reading, I feel better just typing it.

Bluemoon

Bluemoon

Founding Member
I am on Seroquel, along with a couple anti/d's.

I have been on it at least 9yrs. Never had a problem (hearing/seeing) things.

I in the past 12 months have heard voice shout my name, but it was from behind my head, and more than one voice all at the same time.

My psych made a note but nothing else.
I was recently in the hospital and I thought I heard a little girl ghost say "go"right in front of me. I did not see a ghost, witch means it was a voice.
This is bothering me.

Thanks for reading, I feel better just typing it.
I have on occasion seen very faint white shapes moving across the room and even when driving down the road at night - they are very fast and brief but they don't really bother me since I think it's just my imagination playing tricks. The worst experience was looking out of the front window and seeing a faint skeleton without a head walking past and down the street - during the day :confused:. Luckily though I haven't seen anything like that for several years although I do see the white shapes sometimes. I never heard any voices along with them so my experience has been the opposite of yours.